Plan a Road Trip  
Where to Stay  
Ask a Question  Sign Up     Log In

a VirtualTourist member


LOI for transit visas?

I wondered if anyone could tell me whether a LOI is required for transit visas to Turkmenistan. All the information I can find is contradictory, and the embassy isn't being great with replying to emails. If I do need one, do you have any recommendations on the best/quickest way to get one?

Thank you in advance!

6 Answers

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Puerto Princesa

In this case what does LOI stand for? Letter of intent, ?

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Minsk

LOI means letter of invitation.

For a TRANSIT visa, the answer is no. However, visa you must have visas for both the country of entry and the country of exit. For example, if you're coming from Uzbekistan and exiting to Iran, you must have both visas before you can apply for the transit visa. This means, you will not be issued a transit visa if you either fly into or out of Turkmenistan.

Transit visas are generally 5 days. And will typically state your exit and entry points.

If you're looking for a TOURIST visa, it's a whole other thing. Tourist visas are only issued through authorized travel companies. You must have a government appointed tour guide with you at all times when outside the Ashgabat area. All hotels and travel need to be pre-booked

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Parramatta

I agree with all "Fluffy Bunny " has said ..see this site for info that may be of help for you travelling in this ..cheers..

answered by
a VirtualTourist member

Thank you to both of you. I am in the process of getting a visa for Uzbekistan and am flying into Ashgabat, so it sounds like I won't be able to get a transit visa with this? Is this correct?

answered by
a VirtualTourist member


I have the same question as Heathel.

I am planning to fly into Ashgabat from the USA and would like to travel by train to the Uzbek border. Would it be possible to obtain a transit visa for such a trip?

I've hear different things.


answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Minsk

Sorry, flying in or out of Turkmenistan is not considered "transit". Therefore you'll need a tourist visa. They are MUCH more expensive and difficult.

Go to NEW Turkmenistan questions, or browse older Turkmenistan travel answers

© 2018   ·   View: Full | Mobile

Follow us:        
Travel Questions   ·   Destinations   ·   Plan a Road Trip   ·   Plan a Flight   ·   Where to Stay   ·   Login

About Us   ·   FAQ   ·   Feedback   ·   Privacy Policy   ·   Terms of Service