a VirtualTourist member from Singapore asked on Jun 1, 2016
I need some help with using the Swiss Travel Pass.
I have purchased 3 day flexi swiss travel pass. And I am using the last day to travel from Brig (Switzerlad) to Milan Central. The train that I am traveling is direct and does not involve any transfer. My questions are below:
1. Does my swiss travel pass allow me to travel free from Brig to Milan?
2. The train requires reservation. How can I do the reservation using my swiss travel pass?
Valid to the border, then you must have a ticket into Milan. Conductor will check tickets along the way.
You need to pay the ticket for the Italy part. You can purchase the ticket at the Swiss Ticket Counter. They will be able to sell you the ticket that you can travel all the way to Milan. Make sure you buy the ticket, the train in Italy checks ticket regularly.
Alternatively, you can check which train you will take in Italy, and purchase the ticket on the official ticket website with your credit card. It is easy!
Your Swiss Travel Pass is valid as far as Domodossola. You can purchase a ticket (seat reservations included) from Domodossola to Milan on Trenitalia's website. The Man in Seat 61 has some good advice on how best to book an economical ticket.
Folks, Thank you very much for your help.
2 more questions:
1. Can I print the ticket from home if I buy the ticket online with trenitalia.com?
2. Do you happen to know which seat is forward facing I am taking EC59 from Domodossola to Milan Central (19:44 - 21:37) on 17 Jun? Most of us have motion sickness. :)
Thank you in advance.
1. Yes. It's an itinerary and seat listing, not a ticket per se. The important thing is to be sure you have the confirmation code ("PNR") to give to the conductor.
2. It's difficult to say, as it will depend on the direction of travel of the coach. Here are some photos of what the train cars and seating arrangement typically look like.
Frankly, to use one day of free travel only between Brig and Domodossola is quite a waste of money the standard fare is only 16 CHF. Don't you have another day within Switzerland when it makes more sense economically?
From the context of the question, I was assuming the OP isn't beginning the journey in Brig, but changing trains there.
Remember you can book Brig-Milan in advance from €9 at www.trenitalia.com
If you wait till the day of travel, you'll pay full-fare, which is significantly more.
Hi GyuriFT, Thank you very much for your suggestion. Wow... indeed the local train is almost half the fare of the EC. I will consider the option. I have a question. Will there be situation that the local train is full and I cannot board the train. The train that I am taking will be the last local train of the day. The next 2 trains are EC train which I believe I cannot board with the local train ticket. Thanks
You are right! I am coming from Lausanne. So with all your help.. I know how to do my transfer. A big thanks to all of you folks. :)
Hi [VT member 4166c], No I am not using the one day to travel between Brig and Domodossola. I will travel from Montruex to geneva to Lasuanne before heading south to Milan. :)