a VirtualTourist member
I would like to undertake a train journey from Edmonton,AB to Toronto,ON next week, i.e. end of January 2012.
I'm on a budget travel and would like some info on this train route.
I plan to travel ECONOMY CLASS as i cannot afford anything better now...lol
1) How comfortable are the seats and the coach facilities (toilets,etc) for this 03 nights, 02 days journey to Toronto.
2) It says, meals not included in the economy class ticket.
So, can i still buy my choice of dinners & breakfasts in the dining car? OR is the facility in the dining car exclusive for sleeper class
3) What is the quality of meals on-board; are there any good take-away food options @ VIA stations in Saskatoon, Winnipeg, etc.
4) How cold is it inside the coaches during nights? Just to let you know,its freezing out here in Edmonton now with temp. reading -32C
5) Is there any entertainment option in economy class or electric sockets for my laptop?
6) Do they offer any discounts for the "Hosteling International"(HI) members?
If you guys can clarify my doubts, that would be great.
Thank you for the help. I look forward to this winter adventure across Canada.