My husband and I have booked a villa in Cyprus for next April as we are going to renew our wedding vows in Paphos. We paid our deposit to the owner in June. We agreed a sterling amount of the total cost with the owner which we have in writing. We just received an email from the owner stating that because of Brexit the price will more than likely increase when it comes to final payment of the villa.
We are extremely disappointed by this as we agreed a set price and we have written confirmation of this too. After numerous emails back and forth, with the owner actually starting to be racist towards us and rude we actually came to the conclusion that we had no choice but to ask for our deposit back.
We now have had absolutely no response to our emails requesting our money back and he is now ignoring us.
The reviews on Trip Advisor are great and no one has anything bad to say about the company or the owners. That is why we went ahead with the booking as the reviews were so good.
Does anyone know what we can do about this or the best approach? Thanks in advance!
I assume you paid your deposit by credit card and that it was fully-refundable on cancellation?
If that is the case then I suggest you raise a complaint with your credit card company, who will sort things out for you.
If the deposit was not refundable on cancellation then i'm afraid you have lost it. That's how non-refundable deposits work.
> We just received an email from the owner stating that because of Brexit the price will more than likely increase when it comes to final payment of the villa.
As above, I suspect the villa owner is (rightly) worried about the fall in GBP after the referendum vote.
You agreed to pay in euro. He told you that it was probable that the final amount would be higher because of the substantial (and inevitable) drop in the value of the pound after the vote.
Whether one considers the owner's actions to be justified or not, they are as they are. Remember that each EU country has its own consumer protection laws and that what applies in the UK does not necessarily apply to another EU country.
I believe the two members above already answered your question.
At least the owner informed you as he should have. If you had agreed to pay in Euros there would not be any problem....but now and after all that happened between you, with so many emails or calls the situation is different. The right is with him. Unless you ask your bank to negotiate ....and change the agreement and pay in euros. Let the bank contact him instead of you if possible. Otherwise I am afraid you lost your deposit. How can he assure his money, if in a year's time the sterling devaluates? What is the name of the hotel by the way?
Oh I see Barbara. I thought at first that you are staying at a hotel, but if you wish I will do my best to help you. At least calm down the owner and get you back in line to solve the issue. Send me details through (inbox) if you wish. The phone number in cyprus, their name, your name in full, dates etc. I might be living in Greece but I will get in touch by calling them in Cyprus.
So you have not had direct access with the owners yourself? Does the OP stand for operator? If you don't have other details....it will be difficult to contact them.
I am in the middle of handing in some urgent work that has to leave my hands, and totally absorbed by what I was doing, I thought it was you who posted the question B, without checking above a second time. Now I see....I thought for a minute why not do my best to help a vt member! Of course the same counts for anyone else, but vt members count a lot more!
Totally agree with you Barbara. I do the same. Just as you say it is the most straightforward method to avoid misunderstandings, delays cancellations and spoil your holidays before they even start.
Thanks everyone for your comments. This has now been resolved thankfully
Yes, thanks for letting us know. Do let us know how this was resolved. Did he finally agree on your own terms or you on his? Happy travels!