a VirtualTourist member from Bydgoszcz asked on Oct 8, 2014
Hi VT gurus
Next month I am taking a challenge and go (alone) to Muscat. I intend to stay there for couple of days and take a few one/two days trips outside the city.
I have a few questions.
1. Can anyone recommend me a decent hotel close to the city center, which does not ruin my budget, around $100 per night. Do I ask for moon searching for a hotel with a small piece of greenery around?
2. Can anyone point me out a reliable tour agency for my trips? ---- prices?
3.Is it a good idea to rent a car and driving alone? --- personal and traffic (whithin/out the city) safety?
4. Is my Polish driving licence valid in Oman? Or I need international one.
5. Is something worth seeing around that is not widely known,a less touristy spot but still interesting ( including scenery)
6. Is a public transport in Muscat as bad as is said ?
7. What is avarage cost of modest living in Muscat?
I would be extremely greatful for your response. :))
I can highly recommend Nomad Guest House. It is delightful, and within your price range
Accommodation is not cheap in Muscat
Lorna, who runs the Guesthouse, also organizes tours- Nomad is worldwide known and do fantastic trips. She could sort something out for you.
I do not recommend that you hire a car. Firstly, because the roads are confusing, and especially in desert areas, a breakdown (of the car) could really leave you in strife.
Here is my review of the Nomad Guesthouse
[original VT link]
We also took a trip (with a driver which Norma arranged for us) to Nizwa, which is completely in the desert. It was very hot.
After our stay in Muscat, we flew up to Musandam Peninsula, which is northernmost tip of Oman
I have wonderful memories of this amazing little gem of a town called Khasab. It is absolutely unique, with fjords, dramatic cliffs and the clearest blue sea you will ever see
Scroll down page for tips
[original VT link]
Thanks for quick replay.
Sorry, I have posted my question twice because I had some trouble with sending it out. It didn't want to go !
wow that's great :)