a VirtualTourist member from Bydgoszcz asked on Oct 8, 2014
Hi VT gurus
Next month I am taking a challenge and go (alone) to Muscat. I intend to stay there for couple of days and take a few one/two days trips outside the city.
I have a few questions.
1. Can anyone recommend me a decent hotel close to the city center, which does not ruin my budget, around $100 per night. Do I ask for moon searching for a hotel with a small piece of greenery around?
2. Can anyone point me out a reliable tour agency for my trips? ---- prices?
3.Is it a good idea to rent a car and driving alone? --- personal and traffic (whithin/out the city) safety?
4. Is my Polish driving licence valid in Oman? Or I need international one.
5. Is something worth seeing around that is not widely known,a less touristy spot but still interesting ( including scenery)
6. Is a public transport in Muscat as bad as is said ?
7. What is avarage cost of modest living in Muscat?
I would be extremely greatful for your response. :))
We will be in Oman next month, too.
2) our travel agent works with Mark Tours http://www.marktoursoman.com/
4) you need an international drivers icence
6) as far as we are informed, public transport is almost unexistant. Taxis is the way to go (or drive).
I have answered your question (you posted this twice)
I spend some time in Muscat as well and found that hiring a taxi for a day or so is the way to go. Investigate first what there is to see and make up a list. Then possible through your hotel, get your taxi, make a firm deal price wise and go and see the city and points close by. The pictures I have included are but a few places to see. Enjoy, Gerry, the_dutchman
By the way, the Safeer Hotel in my pictures above was quite nice and only $60. / night. Gerry
Thanks a lot for your advice!
The Safeer Hotel Suite hasn't free rooms at that time.:( What a pity.:(