Plan a Road Trip  
Where to Stay  
Ask a Question  Log In

a VirtualTourist member


Travelling by rented car

We will be travelling in America this March, so we have decided to rent a car. We have heard that there are roads which require payments. 1. How can we pay these fees? Cash, credit card? Could rented car use sunpass and toll-by-plate? If yes, how to get it online? 2. What insurance car needs to have zero excess?
Thank you in advance :)

1 Answer

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Miami

Most rental companies will offer an opt in at time of rental which they will charge your credit card for.
If this is offered, make sure and take it as doing toll by plate w/out this option will incur a hefty administrative charge up to a month afterwards when the tolls are billed to the rental car company.
You simply drive through the tolls and the camera takes a photo of your plate and charges it back to the owner - in this case the rental company.
Additionally, you can purchase your own Sunpass on line or at a gas station if you plan on being here a while or if you plan on driving in North Carolina or Georgia. The amount you load into Sunpass stays with your transcendent so you can keep it for later use if you plan on visiting say, next year.
Additionally, Sunpass is also working on a deal with EZ pass so that they will talk to each other making it valid soon for travel throughout the NE, SE and the Mid West:

Here is a link explaining the rental car companies that offer up Sunpass and how it works:

Go to NEW Miami questions, or browse older Miami travel answers

© 2017   ·   View: Full | Mobile

Follow us:        
Travel Questions   ·   Destinations   ·   Plan a Road Trip   ·   Plan a Flight   ·   Where to Stay   ·   Login

About Us   ·   FAQ   ·   Feedback   ·   Privacy Policy   ·   Terms of Service