Plan a Road Trip  
Where to Stay  
Ask a Question  Sign Up     Log In

a VirtualTourist member from East Pittsburgh


My friend Nan says that it is very difficult for her to travel abroad can anyone explain?

I have had a pen pal and friend for over a year now. I am from Pittsburgh PA USA and she lives in Liuzhou City,China. I own a helicopter service buisness that doesn't often allow me to leave on long excursions and we were wondering how she might be able to come to visit for a few weeks during her spring festival vacation or any other time.

GuangNan hasn't traveled abroad and doesn't have a passport yet. She is 44 and single and a mechanical engineer. Can anyone tell me how I can help her to travel? Romance may be in the future but we need to become friends in person and court first.

Thank you in advance! Dan

8 Answers

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Brussels

She has to sort out her own situation with her own authorities (Public Security Bureau), and until she does you can't even start helping her to get a visa to enter the U.S., should your help be required. Apparently there are a lot of bureaucratic hoops to jump through before a Chinese passport can be issued, see None of which you could do anything about from the U.S., so you might have to consider setting business aside for a week or so at least as it seems like it would be a lot easier for you to visit her.

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Melbourne

Seeing she is a mechanical engineer is there a scope to do a formal invitation by your company for her to visit. Of course she wouldn't be able to work.
I also depends which province she comes from (not where she works). Chinese have to apply for a passport through their home city. Part of the problem with Chinese going overseas is China wants them to come back -especially the engineers.

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Jiangsu Sheng

Ignore what csillagstoppos said. What he described is Hungary, not China.

First of all, your pal should get a passport. She can apply one from the police office where her Hukou is in. Usually it is not a difficult thing.

If she got a passport, the next thing must to do is to get a visa of US. This is the most hard step cause US controll the visa strictly. Liuzhou is in Hunan province and it is not a developed area such as Guangdong. So it will be more difficlut. Maybe you can give her some help at this step.

If she get passport and visa, then there would be nothing necessarily expect the flight ticket. Accroding to the area she lived, the flight ticket maybe a burden for her.

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Jiangsu Sheng

Liuzhou city is in Guangxi province, not in Hunan. Liuzhou is not far from Guilin.

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Boston

" I own a helicopter service buisness that doesn't often allow me to leave on long excursions"

The doesn't OFTEN allow to me mean that you can sometime take the time off to go to China. I think that will be the easiest. The cost to income will be better for you from the US then for her from China.

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Westerly

The first thing, Get a passport. She will probably have to go to her home town to take care of this if she is not a registered citizen of the city she is presently living in. I know a lot of Chinese that travel and have no problem getting a passport and leaving the country. China has a lot of people and the government does not seem to care if anyone leaves.

I know a mechanical engineer in Shenzhen that has been to India, Thailand, Vietnam and a few other countries. She usually goes touring during the yearly vacation weeks. She has to go back to Nanjing to renew her passport this month so she can go to Singapore in the fall. I don't believe the stories that it is difficult to get out of China. She never has a problem.

The real problem is getting a visa to the US. It seems that people from china that are not really good people come here often and good honest people can't seem to get a visa. Single women have the most difficult time, because the immigration people try to prevent them from marrying a US citizen. Unless they can show that this is not their plan, there is no chance to get a visa.

It is remotely possible to write an invitation letter for her to come for joint venture negotiations, or training in the business you are about to open in China. This is a long shot, though.

The easy thing is to go there. If you get along well and you want to marry her, establish a relationship that you can document, and get a fiancée visa. Save your correspondence with her to establish a time line for the relationship. Going there is a fun adventure and necessary if you want to get her out some day.

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Melbourne

One thing I did find in China is that some girls (particularly) had problems because their birth wasn't registered and this causes problems later on. If she is an engineer I would think those problems would apply. When my Chinese girlfriend got her passport she had to go back to Inner Mongolia to do it. It can be a costly exercise.

answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Minneapolis

That comment was inappropriate, Peter.

Return to Liuzhou travel answers

© 2018   ·   View: Full | Mobile

Follow us:        
Travel Questions   ·   Destinations   ·   Plan a Road Trip   ·   Plan a Flight   ·   Where to Stay   ·   Login

Search   ·   FAQ   ·   About Us   ·   Feedback   ·   Privacy Policy   ·   Terms of Service