a VirtualTourist member
We are 2 women & will stay in el Calafate
14 - 19/February/2012 departing the 20/02. That makes 6 nights & 7 days.
We would like to visit the region:
Los Glaciares Park, TDPaine, take a catamaran trip to all possible glaciars
that are advertised on the Internet.
Since the lodging is so expensive & public transportation apparently not very good:
Does it pay to rent a car?
Could we save money from the rental taking the car only for 5 days, since first
and last day we need only transportation from and to the airport?
Are they car rental agencies in Calafate? are they reliable? I hear that sometimes you might reserve a 4X4 and get a very small car instead, is it true?
Would know how much does a taxi from the aiport to the center in El Calafate cost?
I would appreciate any tips you could offer.
- visiting TdP in one day is a long drive and in my opinion it would be better to stay for one night in the park; be aware bringing a rental car from Argentina into Chile is not easy and will take a lot of paper work.
Perhaps better book a guided trip in El Calafate.
- for visiting Los Glaciares Park / Perito Moreno glacier there is no need for a car; we did a halfday trip by a small bus from El Calafate.
- lodging: did you try Hostal America del Sur, it was always one of the less expensive ones.
- rental car: depends on what you intend to do. We only used a car for a trip to La Leona and the surrounding badlands. There is no need for a 4x4. There are several car rental agencies in El Calafate. We rented from Servi Car and were absolutely satisfied.
- taxi: we paid a couple of years ago 38 pesos; most probably will be more nowadays.
You could start reading the Travel Guide about El Calate on Virtual Tourist and member pages as well.