Trippy
Home  
Questions  
Plan a Road Trip  
Where to Stay  
Feedback  
Ask a Question  Log In

a VirtualTourist member from Brno

Egypt

Egypt situation?

Hey!
I was wondering if anyone has firsthand experience with the situation in some of the places in Egypt right now. Or know something else?

Me and my friend bought tickets (non-refundable) to Cairo months ago. because of the situation we decided to skip Cairo to begin with and see it it calms down later (we're supposed to stay in the country for two weeks), and fly straight to Luxor with Egyptair - are the flights being cancelled?? Someone wrote this in a post.

I know from the media that the situation in Hurghada and Sharm is good at the moment, but what about Luxor and Aswan?
My government is only warning against trips to Cairo, Suez and Alexandria, though I read at BBC's website that the british government is also including Luxor.

How is the situation in Giza? We would love to at least get to see the pyramids before we leave.

We are leaving in less than a week, and we are starting to get abit nervous :(

I appreciate all replies!



32 Answers  (showing 31 - 32)


answered by
a VirtualTourist member from State of Western Australia

leics is right - if you cancel a non-refundable ticket/hotel/any other travel deal , or cancel out of a refundable contract after the final dates for refunds, you are not entitled to a refund no matter what the cause. Any refund/concession for alternative arrangements etc the company chooses to give you is at their discretion. Similarly, your travel insurance will have spelt out exactly what they will pay up for when you signed up. If the airline/tour company cancels, you should get an offer of an alternative arrangement or a full refund - and it should be your decision which you accept. So, hang in there and, if possible have a Plan B up your sleeve if necessary- as we are doing right now.

We have a cruise booked starting on Feb 14. This is the offer from our cruise
company should we decide to cancel independently -

"Unfortunatly a decision concerning your tour on the 14th February will not be made until the 7th February. I can advise that following concerning an independent cancellation.

Passengers booked to travel within 8 – 28 days:

Can transfer to Jordan at the amendment fee of £190 pp,
or
can transfer to an alternative arrangement at the amendment fee of £290 pp
or
can cancel with cancellation charges limited to £290pp"

We're waiting to see what they say on the 7th - meantime, Plan B - we've booked (refundable) flights to Cyprus.




answered by
a VirtualTourist member from Singapore

hi! I think your decision not to go now is the right one.
I was in Egypt til tuesday (1 feb) and things were unstable and getting worse. I did not feel safe as a tourist although people say that tourists/foreigners were not targetted. plus most sites were shut.
also, coming back from Aswan, there was a demonstration right outside the train station and my group was affected by the tear gas that hung in the air.
i truly hope things get much better for the people of Egypt really quickly. i found them to be a lovely and warm people, and hope to go back there one day soon.

I hope you get your payments back and also get to visit soon under better circumstances!
:)




Prev    1    2   

Go to NEW Egypt questions, or browse older Egypt travel answers



© 2017 Trippy.com   ·   View: Full | Mobile

Follow us:        
Travel Questions   ·   Destinations   ·   Plan a Road Trip   ·   Plan a Flight   ·   Where to Stay   ·   Login

About Us   ·   FAQ   ·   Feedback   ·   Privacy Policy   ·   Terms of Service