My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Guatemala and Belize this May.
While we're visiting Tikal/Flores for 3 days, we're interested in staying at La Lancha, but after doing some further research on where it's located and how pricey the add-ons are becoming, we're thinking it might not be the smartest choice. The rooms are beautiful and (for room alone) the right price, but we're wondering the following:
- Getting to/from. We arrive at FLS. Are there cabs or car services to get you to the hotel? La Lancha quoted45+tax.
- Day trips. Is there anything nearby? Trips to Tikal run180+ pp. Travel guides I've read say you can find/arrange van trips for roughly30 pp. Are cabs or car services reachable?
- Location. Are we missing out by not staying in Flores? Reviews say it's lovely, though La Lancha sounds wonderful.
- Travel to Belize City. When we leave, we're heading to Belize City. I thought it might be interesting to take a bus there, since we are flying the rest of the trip. Do San Juan Express and Linea Dorada pick up at the airport? Will we be able to get a reliable cab or car service to get us there so early in the morning?
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Is it true the 3 Hotels at Tikal have no electricity after a certain hour??
I'm going to the Peten region next weekend and I'm just wondering where it'd be better to stay ...
Most of the people go to Flores / Santa Elena and from there visit Tikal ... but I've read accomodation in Flores is much more expensive than in other places in Guatemala.
So I'm thinking in wether staying in El Remate (which is closer to Tikal and to the border with Belize) ... or perhaps staying at some campground in Tikal.
Has anybody ever stayed at El Remate? How is it? What about the accomodation?
In the other hand... what about camping at Tikal? Is it safe? Are there lockers available? How far from the ruins would this be?
There are several agencies that advertise 3 day/2 night hikes from Flores to El Zotz and then to Tikal on day 3. La Casa de Don David's place even advertized just such a guided tour/hike through the jungle.
My 2 questions are:
1. Is this safe? There are a many with concerns about saftey when off the beaten path...
2. What is a reputable and trustworthy tour provider to do this with? We speak very little spanish. I've been hiking/camping in Peru on the Inca trail, and have been to Guatemala 2x before, but i've never gone on a hike where the guides did not speak english.
Plan to cross from San Ignacio early morning - is it better to stay at El Remate and visit Tikal next day or go into Flores? Any tips/suggestions on where to stay?
Hi, Does anyone have information about transportation between Flores, Peten and Palenque Chiapas? Thanks.
Anyone can ask a
Destination experts (like you!) provide amazing answers.
Readers "like" answers, and the best float to the top.