a VirtualTourist member
We are planning to go to Conil next summer and were looking for a house to rent for a week. Does anyone know Casadelaluz.com? Or does anyone have any experiences with them? Please let me know because I'm really cautious to book a holiday home via the internet (taking into account all the horror stories you hear sometimes). thanks for your reply!
I have heard of horror stories you mentioned, but we must have rented in Spain about 20 times in the last 8 or so years with no problem at all. A few basic precautions should suffice.
We use mainly ownersdirect.co.uk, here is their link to Conil:
I see the site you quote is an agency - all very well but that shouts 'extra cost' at me. Ownersdirect and homelidays you deal direct with the owner, end of story. Dont forget bad behaviour by an owner will get them 'struck off' the site, so they are usually on their toes.
I would really suggest you have no need to worry, and you will make by far the best deal by internet. but just take the following precautions:
1) Send off enquiries to several potential rents, then only deal with those who reply promptly - unless they have a very good genuine reason (Internet connection, away in England etc) and they apologise profusely and with conviction for a delay.
2) Look for history and references, although only in June we booked a brand new offer - and got a £600 villa for £300 near Marchena. Whenever we want now as it turned out!
3) Once you have narrowed down your field strike up an e-mail conversation with the owner(s) - you can usually tell what makes them tick and reassure yourself. Ask them everything you need to know, over a few weeks and even after reserving if necessary. Most people are only too pleased to help.
4) Always ask for confirmation of deposit receipt (bank transfer is normal unless they have an English address for cheques maybe).
5) Transfer money yourself by internet NOT in your bank - they now charge about 20 quid for a simple transfer.
6) Some recommend paying final balance (normally about 4-6 weeks before travel) only in cash on arrival. Not sure this is always practical or possible - big risk to the hirer. Paying by transfer is fine we have always found. Some owners prefer cash on arrival though - better for taxes!
7) Contact the owner in the 7-10 days before travel just to confirm all arrangements etc.
If you are flying to Sevilla or Malaga try Hispacar.com for your car. Carjet.com are also an old favourite, but have recently been dear out of Sevilla when I've looked. Just going with the big rental companies can cost you a large amount of money.
Incidentally El Palmar, near Conil, is held by some to be the best beach in Spain. Including me.
They are a legit company. Run by a German couple that have excellent English.
They handle about 200 villas & apartments in the Conil area.
You can also contact lavistaconil.com/en/index.ht...
This is a Scottish couple that have a house in Conil old town and also a number of flats in a custom built block.
If you come in July / August check your accommodation has air con as it can be hotter than hell in mid-day. The heart of the old town can be a bit noisy at night.
Conil - you´ll love it.