Drive      Fly      Stay      Login    Signup

a VirtualTourist member asked on Jun 13, 2008


Adopted into tribe

Over the years I have invested alot of research on the western portion of Colombia. I understand the "Hidden dangers"and am willing to take precautionary chances going and getting there. I would like to note that I am not going there blindfolded, I've been doing my homework. I am wondering how feasible (legality wise), it would for me to become a permanent citizen. My longterm goal and ambition is to live with the Choco Embera tribe...if things meet my satisfaction.
living a rugged lifestyle is nothing new to me. Being a previous survivalist for years, I would like to live in a community to allow surviving a little more practicle and enjoyable, or a the very least, tolerable. And the bonus of a place I find sooo beautiful (flora, fauna, culture) is a dream come true. I study herpetology and am currently researching Dendrobatidaes, and find that this would not only benifit me, but also herpers, and the scientific community. Possibly I can discover what exactly it is that brings out the alkaloid properties producing the Batrachotoxin in the Phyllobates terribilis.
My goal, of course, is to stay out of mainstream. I am not for modern industrialzation. I am primitive by heart. I do not wish to built up or promote businesses, but ultimatly inhance insight, opening up those gates of a splenderous world revealing a world and how they benifit within a closed tribal community whos lifestyle is nestled in a remote and inaccessible rainforest away from industrial influences, and how they have learned to share and coinciding with nature, reaping a lifestyle that build up the very fabric woven withing these tightly knit communities.
Thanks for reading and any responce.

2 Answers

answered on 6/13/08 by
a VT member from Brussels

First you need to obtain a visa,, and I doubt that you can get an indefinite visa unless you are married to a Colombian, which you would presumably have mentioned. Then after arriving in Colombia you register with D.A.S. and apply for a "cedula de extranjeria", pending which you will be given a temporary card (contraseña). In parallel you must make sure you keep renewing your temporary visa, and when you have had one for 5 years in a row (3 if married to Colombian) you can apply for a "Visa de Residente Calificado" (permanent) and obtain a "Cédula de Extranjería Residente" (renewable every 5 years) which means you have established residency - although of course that is not the same as having a Colombian passport! At that point I believe you can apply for Colombian citizenship. Assuming that you are male, do look into military service requirements before you decide!

answered on 5/31/09 by
a VT member from Ventura

How is your search going? If you are serious, It would be much easier for you to do so in the Darien in Panama. Checkout Sambu. Up river there are amazing places in the Comarca of the Rio Sambu.

Go to NEW Colombia questions, or browse older Colombia travel answers

Find answers:  

© 2019   ·   View: Full | Mobile

Follow us:        
Questions   ·   Destinations   ·   Drive   ·   Fly   ·   Airports   ·   Stay   ·   Search

Login   ·   FAQ   ·   About   ·   Feedback   ·   Privacy   ·   Terms