a VirtualTourist member
I will be in baden baden with my wife in the last week of august for 3 days. Please help me plan my trip. I will not be renting a car and therefore will be relying on public transport. I dont plan to do any hiking. Here are what I am interested to do:
1) Want to spend a day visiting a town/village which epitomizes black forest. Beautiful scenery, cuckoo clocks, black forest gateau etc.. Have shortlisted Triberg. What are your opinions? Will I need an entire day to see Triberg?
2) Would like to spend a day at one of the lakes: Titisee/Schlusee. Relax at the lake front, do some water sports etc. Titisee is nearer from baden baden but Schlusee I beleive has a lot of water activities. What do you guys think?
3) I am also looking forward to some scenic rail journeys. Can I experience such journey while travelling to say, Triberg, or lakes (titisee/schlusee) as mentioned in 1) and 2) above. I am really confused with so many different railway lines/companies in the region.
4) I would also like to spend half a day or so visiting attraction in the baden baden city. I dont plan to go to any of the two spas. Casino-probably yes, in the evening.
5) Some cable car trips to mountains, mountain rails etc.
I request all you experts to please advise me based on my preferences above.
I also wanted to clarify a doubt about schwarzwaldcard. Is schwarzwaldcard the same as konus card? I know schwarzwaldcard allows free entry to many attractions in black forest while konus card lets you free travel within certain zones in the region. But I am not sure if they are the same. Where can I buy them? Also, looking at my proposed itinerary, do you guys think all my travel needs will be met by the konus card?
I would really appreciate the responses.
Thanks Kathrin. A great response and a very informative one indeed.
"... provides visitors free admission to attractions of their choice anywhere in the whole region covering the Northern, Central an Southern Black Forest."
"The Black Forest Card "SchwarzwaldCard" can be purchased from nearly all tourist information offices, participating companies and hotels, or directly from Schwarzwald Tourismus GmbH."
KONUS guest card
free local public transport in the area covered
This is a card you cannot buy. If you stay in one of the participating communities you'll receive it automatically. Baden-Baden does however not take part in this program.