a VirtualTourist member from Sacramento
My husband and I are traveling from Marsaille to Arles. We fly into Marsaille at 11:30 a.m. and wil go directly to the train (TGV?) to Arles. In Arles, we have reservations at Hôtel Porte de Camargue on rue Noguier. The hotel tells us it is a 15 minute walk from the train station and that taxis are not always available. Several questions:
1. Is it the TGV that goes to Arles, and do we take a taxi from the Marsaille airport to the station, or is there a direct bus?
2. Will it be a difficult walk to the hotel from the Arles station? (My we are older travelers, although a 15-minute walk shouldn't be too difficult.
3. Are you familiar with our hotel and is it a reasonable place to stay? It was very inexpensive and 2 stars, but there were many extremely enthusiastic reviews on the internet.
Thanks for your help!
Hope I'm not too late.
my 2-cents worth
1) No, when I took the train to Arles from Marseille it was NOT the fast TGV, just a normal-speed train but it was a short trip (~ 1 hour) if I remember correctly; I personally would much prefer it to a bus from Marseille to Arles;
2) Yes. I mapped your hotel and if I am correct, it is MUCH more than a short walk. Your hotel (Hôtel Porte de Camargue on rue Noguier) appears to be actually on the other (west) side of the Rhone from the actual city of Arles (check the hotel map to make sure I am correct). If you choose to stay there, you must take a cab all the way across the river from the station to get to your hotel, and then walk all the way back across the river to the old center of Arles where all my favorite places are.
3) Though not familiar with your hotel, I looked at the website briefly. It appears to be a nice hotel for the money, but (my opinion, please check carefully to make sure I am correct) it is across the river from Arles Centrum where the Roman Arena, Theater Antique, etc. and all the other sites in the center of Arles.
May I please suggest if you wish to stay within walking distance of all the good sites in the center of Arles that you check out some of the hotels closer to the center/ Arena, etc?
My favorite hotel right in the center that in my opinion is affordable is Hotel Calendal. It is about 30-40 (check the rates) Euros more / night, but it is much closer to most of the sites and city Center.
http://www.lecalendal.com/ (their link)
[original VT link] (my link)
It is affordable, has a beautiful garden (my fave room is little room 44 overlooking the garden), and is in the middle of the best part of Arles, closer to the train station (I still recommend you take the short taxi ride from the station even to central Arles & / or to Calendal, I have walked it with a backpack and it is a good 15 - 20 minute hike).
Whatever your choice, I hope this information is still accurate ( I was last in Arles in 2003), and that you and your husband have a wonderful time in one of my favorite cities in Provence.
Best regards & bonne chance