Lesley

suitability to stay

hi I'm taking my mum to Lisbon for a surprise 80th birthday treat whats santa maria like to stay in is it central shops and resturants thanks for your help

Mary from Leicester

What a nice treat for your Mum! I'm sure you'll both enjoy Lisbon. :-)

I've visited the city several times but never heard of 'Santa Maria' as a district...just the cathedral. Unless you mean the area near the cathedral  I think you must mean the recently-created (2012) district (freguesia) of Santa Maria Maior shown on the map here?

http://www.cm-lisboa.pt/municipio/juntas-de-freguesia/freguesia-de-santa-maria-maior

The district covers the districts of Baixa and Alfama (the oldest part of Lisbon) and a small part of Bairro Alto too. It's what you might term the 'historical heart' of Lisbon, easy to walk around and with lots of shops, places to eat & drink and sights such as the Se (cathedral) and the Castelo de São Jorge . Lisbon's famous funiculars (elevadores) are also in the area: Elevador ELEVADOR DA GLÓRIA, Elevador Elevador da BicaAscensor do Lavra and the Elevador de Santa Justa (which is actually a lift/elevator) and well as the visitor-popular tram 28 which winds its way through the historical heart (and is highly recommended). I always stay somewhere in this area, usually near Praça dos Restauradores which is convenient for airport bus & Metro, for trains to Sintra from Rossio Railway Stationand trains to Cascais & Estoril from Cais do Sodre station. 

Hope that helps. :-)

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Lisbon Cathedral (attraction)
  3. Castelo de São Jorge (attraction)
  4. ELEVADOR DA GLÓRIA (attraction)
  5. Elevador da Bica (attraction)
  6. Ascensor do Lavra (attraction)
  7. Elevador de Santa Justa (attraction)
  8. Praça dos Restauradores (attraction)
  9. Rossio Railway Station (attraction)
  10. Cais do Sodre (attraction)