nina
Miami

if you had 2 weeks to visit any country, which would you choose and why?

I'm particularly interested in southeast asia, indonesia, and southeastern europe (croatia, greece, etc.) as my options, and would probably go during the winter season (like jan, feb)! I've been to western europe, most of south america, and some of central america, so I'd like to try something new. visiting 1 country doesn't have to be the limit, but I don't want to rush through one to get to another. I also like to visit off-the-beaten paths and not just the capitals or touristy parts. thanks!

Spencer from Los Angeles

I like it! You're choosing some great regions of the world since SE Asia and Europe are relatively easy for navigating to multiple countries. As you know, the weather and experience in those 2 regions is completely different. Europe you'll be in the thick of winter while in SE Asia you'll be in the midst of some of the best time to go weather-wise. If it were me, I'd do SE Asia. You could really spend that entire time traveling around Thailand and not run out of things to do between spending a couple days in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and then exploring the islands and beach cities like Krabi. A lot of the friends I've talked to who travel like I have actually prefer Vietnam, however. It's got a lot of the types of culture and food and experiences (beautiful beaches) that Thailand does, but a little bit more offbeat. 

Also, I'm not sure if it's in your consideration, but Jan/Feb is great for exploring Central America. I lived down there in one winter and since it's the dry season, the weather is perfect nearly every day. While I did more of slow travel up and down Central America, you could fit something like Nicaragua and Costa Rica into two weeks. Costa Rica is great, but it's become Americanized in parts, so I prefer Nicaragua (Granada (Nicaragua)San Juan del Sur) just because it feels more cultural and authentic (not to mention it's cheaper). 

1. Thailand (country)
  3. Chiang Mai (city)
  4. Krabi (city)
  5. Vietnam (country)
  6. Nicaragua (country)
  7. Costa Rica (country)
  8. Granada (Nicaragua) (city)
  9. San Juan del Sur (city)

Sally from Los Angeles

If you're interested in southeast Asia, I highly recommend Indonesia which is very underrated. 

Obviously Bali is great for the beach (Kuta or Seminyak) but it also has a lot of rich cultural activities - check out Uluwatu and Ubud to get a taste of "real Bali."

On Java, Yogyakarta is absolutely stunning - with good food, friendly locals and breathtaking historical sights such as Prambanan Temple and Borobudur Temple

For one or two day trips, Bandung (foodie and cultural town),Bogor (outdoor gardens / activities and Taman Safari Indonesia) are great options for exploring authentic Indonesian towns. 

Honestly, I didn't get to do as much exploring as I would have liked, but I'm told that the other islands (such as Sumatra) also offer some great attractions and food. I would personally skip Jakarta and focus on the other cultural areas instead - you'll be quite impressed by the rich beauty of the country and its people!

1. Indonesia (country)
  2. Bali (island)
  3. Kuta (neighborhood)
  4. Seminyak (city)
  5. Uluwatu (attraction)
  6. Ubud (city)
  7. Yogyakarta (city)
  8. Prambanan Temple (attraction)
  9. Borobudur Temple (attraction)
  10. Sumatra (attraction)
  11. Jakarta (city)

So, if you're talking about January and February as the winter season, do you intend to stay in the northern hemisphere? If so, go to northern Europe. You'll have the aurora borealis, and it's just a region that looks every bit like a fairytale during the winter. I'd also add that Scandinavian and Nordic countries are like stepping forward 20 years into the future ... great amenities to go along with the scenery. I'd definitely suggest Tromso, Bergen and Helsinki as bases. Work your way around from them. There are trains and buses to get you nearly everywhere you'd want to go.

If you're looking at SE Asia, consider monsoon storm and rainy season activities during your timeframe. There might be sites you can't visit because of rain and water levels. I went to Vietnam in November, and didn't get rained out once. It was a perfect time of year. I was also in Japan and South Korea in the early fall, and it was also perfect weather-wise.

1. Tromso (city)
  2. Bergen (city)
  3. Helsinki (city)

Jacqui from London

If you are looking for more off the beaten path... we are hiring a van in Zagreb and I am driving my 7 passengers to Plitvice Lakes National Park (2 nights), Kotor (1 night), Lake Shkodra Resort (3 nights), Budva (lunch stopover), Dubrovnik (3 nights) and visiting Mostar for a day. We are camping the entire way and I can't wait!!

Jacqui from London

Turkey.

You need at least 12 days to properly see it all: culture and food in Istanbul, ancient ruins in Ephesus, hot air balooning in Cappadocia are amazing. There is also amazing coastal towns and beautiful landscapes everywhere. 

More about our two weeks in Turkey here: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/category/europe/turkey/ 

Egypt

Go to Cairo Al Qahirah for The Great Pyramid at Giza and Egyptian Museum, then follow the Nile south to Aswan for Philae Temple and Abu Simbel Temples, then visit Luxor for Valley of the Kings and Karnak Temple. Also check out Alexandria and any coastal town along the Red Sea Governorate for water sports. 

We did a tour and it was great. See why you should go: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/why-egypt-should-be-at-the-top-of-your-list-of-places-to-go/

Option 3: Japan

TokyoMyoko, Nagano, Nozawa, Madarao. Explore the Heart of JapanKyotoHiroshimaMiyajima and Hakone

This is the trip we have planned for next April :) 

ENJOY! 

Jacqui 

1. Turkey (country)
  2. Istanbul (city)
  3. Ephesus (attraction)
  4. Cappadocia (attraction)
  5. Egypt (country)
  6. Al Qahirah (city)
  7. The Great Pyramid at Giza (attraction)
  8. Egyptian Museum (attraction)
  9. Aswan (city)
  10. Philae Temple (attraction)
  11. Abu Simbel Temples (attraction)
  12. Luxor (city)
  13. Valley of the Kings (attraction)
  14. Karnak Temple (attraction)
  15. Alexandria (city)
  16. Red Sea Governorate (state)
  17. Japan (country)
  18. Tokyo (city)
  19. Myoko, Nagano, Nozawa, Madarao. Explore the Heart of Japan (attraction)
  20. Kyoto (city)
  21. Hiroshima (city)
  22. Miyajima (city)
  23. Hakone (city)

Denise Iris

Australia! It has everything to offer: go urban in Sydney, or do the Great Ocean Road trip from Melbourne, snorkeling and diving at Cairns or surfing in Queensland, trekking and the outback at Uluru, cliffs and more wonderful scenery in Tazmania, wine tasting in Auckland, and much more. It’s summer time in Jan/Feb so perfect for the wonderful beaches which is everywhere (well, except for the outback). If you’re into tennis, watch Australian open during that time too.

1. Australia (country)

Haleigh from Paris

Hey Nina! I've got two great recommendations for you! You can't go wrong with either. 

Turkey - You may think Turkey might not have a lot to do but it is one of the most interesting countries in the world and can definitely fill two weeks of your time with experiences you won't forget your whole life! You can get everything here, architecture, history (prehistoric, roman, byzantine, and ottoman!), amazing food, and amazing nature. Wether you want to swim, sun, shop, learn, oh my gosh there is no end to what Turkey can offer you. Here's a few things: start with a few days in Istanbul and see some of the greatest architecture of your life, head to Cappadocia for hot air balloon rides over some of the most amazing rock formations in the world, swim in the pool of Cleopatra amongst historic ruins in , swim in the natural pool formations of Pamukkale, see the amazing ruins of Pergamon and Ephesus and ancient Troia, and head to Bodrum for the beach and boating! This country is amazing. 

France- Slightly less exotic than Turkey of course, but definitely my favorite country on earth, and my home! Start with four or five days in Paris, drive to the Loire and visit the beautiful Châteaux, head up to Mont Saint-Michel to see the monastery, take the train to Annecy and enjoy the lake in the Alps and its gorgeous architecture, go to Lyon to eat some of the best food in the world, drive around the beautiful villages of Provence eating at Michelin star restaurants and stopping to marvel at the lavender fields on the Plateau de Valensole, swim in the Gorges du Verdon, drive along the Cote d'Azur to see the sweet life in the south of France in Cannes and Nice and finish your trip with a day in Monaco! France is the most beautiful nation and so diversified. You will have everything you want here between history, art, fashion, food, nature, adventure, relaxation, and more. 

I hope that helps and good luck on your adventure! 

1. Turkey (country)
  2. Istanbul (city)
  3. Cappadocia (attraction)
  4. Pamukkale (hotel)
  5. Pergamon (attraction)
  6. Ephesus (attraction)
  7. Troia (attraction)
  8. Bodrum (city)
  9. France (country)
  11. Châteaux (attraction)
  12. Mont Saint-Michel (city)
  13. Annecy (city)
  14. Lyon (city)
  15. Plateau de Valensole (attraction)
  16. Gorges du Verdon (attraction)
  17. Cannes (city)
  18. Nice (city)
  19. Monaco (country)

Joan from San Diego

For me, Australia & New Zealand. Why - because I've never been there and the flight is so long I feel a two week stay is minimum! That said I concur with a previous answer regarding Italy, my happy place. There is just SO MUCH there to explore and two weeks would provide a nice pace. Don't miss Vasto on the Adriatic coast; be sure to include a visit to a trabocco!

1. Australia (country)
  2. New Zealand (country)
  3. Italy (country)
  4. Vasto (city)

Jason from Metro Manila

Norway! It has 3 or 4 hikes I would do and so many waterfalls to see. Of course Iceland, New Zealand and Argentina would also be close considerations

1. Norway (country)
  2. Iceland (country)
  3. New Zealand (country)
  4. Argentina (country)

Rebecca from Manchester

If I had two weeks to visit a country I'd pick Malaysia. I feel that countries in Europe can be covered a bit quickly in two weeks so you could tick off at least three countries in that time. Whereas countries like Malaysia, and Indonesia like you have mentioned, require a bit more time. Indonesia is so spread out that I feel you would need a bit more time to really benefit from it. Whereas Malaysia is mainly covered in two islands, and you could even do a trip to Brunei for the day.

1. Malaysia (country)
  2. Indonesia (country)

Jared from Sydney

I'd love to spend two weeks exploring Norway. It looks stunning and amazingly scenic, as this Buzzed article illustrates! 

1. Norway (country)

Hi Nina,

For me Italy is always exciting and, every time I go there I find something new. The climate, landscape, food and even the people are different, depending on which part of Italy you visit. I love that art, architecture and culture are treasured and preserved in the country but it all sits lightly in everyday life!

The north is quite mountainous, industrial and relatively wealthy with some beautiful cities Milan Venice Bergamo Metropolitan City of Turin and lakes and, further south Tuscany Umbria and Lazio are breathtakingly beautiful areas with cities like Florence Siena Metropolitan City of Bologna and Rome

Further south the coastline is stunning and Naples Sorrento and the whole Puglia area in the heel are interesting and different. 

But that's only half the story! Interspersed in it all is a country full of little villages, all similar, yet different and with a story to tell - and people more than willing to welcome you and tell you their story. 

1. Italy (country)
  2. Milan (city)
  4. Bergamo (city)
  5. Metropolitan City of Turin (metro area)
  6. Tuscany (state)
  7. Umbria (attraction)
  8. Lazio (state)
  10. Siena (metro area)
  11. Metropolitan City of Bologna (metro area)
  13. Naples (city)
  14. Sorrento (city)
  15. Puglia (state)

Arpit from Jaipur, Rajasthan

As you want to visit some country in January or February so I will suggest that you should come to India, specially North India, Beauty will be at its best with heritage and culture sites from Taj Mahal to Ganges, from India Gate to Amber Fort, from a night in Delhi to a night at desert in Jaisalmer, Everything will be superb. 

1. India (country)

Seto from Kebumen, Jawa Tengah, Indonesia

France. 

Paris is always a good idea, ;)

Curious from Detroit

India is a great option. You can experience all - great beaches (Goa), Taj Mahal, Himalayas, wildlife sanctuaries (one of the best in the world), historic temples (more than 1000 years old in Tamil Nadu)... 

1. India (country)
  2. Goa (city)
  3. Tamil Nadu (state)
  4. Taj Mahal (attraction)

Heidi from Colorado

I would spend two weeks exploring the Northwest and West of France. I have read several books lately that were set there and it's really inspired me to go there. 

I am especially interested in the Celtic traditions there.

Plus, it's France! Can't go wrong there.

1. France (country)

Ken from Cleveland

Tough question, but I would have to go with my initial thought which would be Japan. Been wanting to go there all my life, I love the culture and food and with cities like TokyoKyoto, Kamakura, and Kanagawa it's hard to resist.

1. Japan (country)
  2. Tokyo (city)
  3. Kyoto (city)
  4. Kamakura (city)
  5. Kanagawa (city)

Gabrielle from Las Vegas

Bali! The weather seems heavenly, and it's simply beautiful.

1. Bali (island)

Jim

Bulgaria, Black Sea, and their countryside. Verna, Sofia, and all there is that I do not know.

1. Bulgaria (country)
  2. Black Sea (attraction)

Didi from Kintamani, Bali, Indonesia

Indonesia for two weeks. 

Central Java for 3-4 days, Bali for a week, Komodo for 3-4 days.

1. Central Java (state)
  2. Bali (island)
  3. Komodo (island)

Vicky from Temse Belgie'

Slovenia, wonderful country with nice people.

1. Slovenia (country)

Nam from Bangkok

My dream destinations are the cradle of Mesopotamia civilisation and Ancient Egypt civilisation.

I love the art of these civilisations, exploring the antiquities in British Museum is not enough!

So the answer is Iraq and Egypt.

1. Iraq (country)
  2. Egypt (country)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

ANY country? To me, that depends on where you are in your bucket list. It'd be someplace I haven't seen yet. High on my list currently are CroatiaAustralia, Mali and Laos -- but ask me in a couple of years.

1. Croatia (country)
  2. Australia (country)
  3. Mali (country)
  4. Laos (country)

jerry from Liverpool (New York)

1. Ireland (country)

Jamie from Queensland

Personally, would definitely do Japan at that time of year (and probably will not this coming Feb but 2017). Japan has some spectacular winter festivals in Jan/Feb including the acclaimed Sapporo Snow Festival. There's also the Sounkyo Ice Waterfall Festival as well as monkeys in hot springs and an awesome recreation of a spectacular aurora that occurred years and years ago. Besides, Japan has that many unique flavours of Kit Kat and what better time to try them than winter :D

1. Japan (country)