fou
Brisbane

any tips plane hopping around south america?

Lan airlines website has trouble processing my multi city routes and figured freestyle might be the way to go. Was wondering if I did do it this way if there were pros / cons, etc. Much thanks for any help :)

Polly from Washington, DC

Shouldn't be any problem - multi-city passes weren't available during the 2014 World Cup, so I booked each of my six flights within Brazil and Argentina separately. You may end up saving money by being able to find the least expensive airline for each leg of your journey. The biggest headaches were schedule changes, which occurred on about half my flights, but luckily I'd built in enough time in each city that it didn't affect me too much. Also, make sure to check each airline's site to see their restrictions on baggage. It varies a bit and if you plan to do carry-on only, you'll be surprised by the official weight limits. Most of the time, the limit wasn't enforced, but it's always possible you'll be asked to gate-check if you exceed it.

You can also try booking using the local version of each airline's website. Fair warning - I'm not sure if this is technically allowed, but you can save some money this way. (I got a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Sao Paulo for the reasonable rate of $50 the day after the World Cup final, when the English-language version of the site was charging at least $200.)

1. Brazil (country)
  2. Argentina (attraction)
  3. Rio de Janeiro (city)
  4. Sao Paulo (city)