Emilia
Gdansk, Poland

Zion National Park

Poisonous plants/ Venomous animals in Zion Canyon

Hello!

I'm going to Zion Canyon in early October and I'm thinking of taking the Pa'rus trail.

Does anyone of you know if the trails are safe in terms of venomous snakes/spiders or insects? Also do you know of any poisonous plants we should stay away from?

In case there is some danger, what should I use (sprays, creams?) to protect myself against it.

I'd appreciate any recommendations!

Thank you :)

Stefan from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

While I didn't take that exact trail Zion National Park, I did take a few others.(Angels Landing, some of the Narrows,etc...) Most of the main trail paths are traveled frequently by visitors, so there weren't a lot of animals hanging out right on them, nor were there a lot of plants on them. (They were kept clear for walking) This is, of course, if you are staying on the path!

The paths are kept the way they are for the safety of not only the visitors, but of the wildlife and plants outside of it. If you follow them, your chances of running into anything like those plants or animals is diminished. Bigger safety concerns when I was there last August were; the sun/dehydration (it was hot!), flash floods upriver (when I was hiking The Narrows), and falling off the path (literally....on Angel's Landing hike).

If you still have particular concerns about animals/plants or what to do in the off chance you run into one, stop into the ranger station/visitor center just past the entrance and ask one of the Rangers. They are usually happy to help!

Enjoy the trip; Zion Park is incredibly beautiful!

1. Zion National Park (park)