Katherine
Santa Monica

Zanzibar

Where is the best area of Zanzibar to stay?

Any parts more windy than others? Better diving or beaches?

Jessica from Calabasas

We kicked off with a few days stay at the Tembo house hotel in Stonestown - it was fantastic.  They have 2 rooms on the top floor (3rd floor, something like that) that have balconies overlooking the water.  It's amazing to see the arabian dhow's come floating in with their cargo.

Then we went across the island to Ras Nungwi Beach Resort.  It's on the east cost, so it's a sunrise view, not a sunset, but still insanely beautiful with one of the best beaches I have ever seen.  http://www.rasnungwi.com

1. Tembo house hotel (hotel)
  2. Ras Nungwi Beach Resort (attraction)

Jonathan from San Francisco

Lodging Recommendations

Depending on how much time you have in total, I recommend setting aside at least 1-2 days exploring Stone Town and the rest of your time staying at the Beach. 

I second Janine's recommendation to stay at Emerson Spice in Stone Town to explore the charming town and its history. The rooms were all very well appointed and unique antique furniture. No two rooms are exactly the same. 

I really enjoyed staying at Hotel Next Paradise Boutique Resort on the Eastern Side of the island. This part of the island is very quiet compared to the Northern Side of the Island where there is more of a party scene.

Food

La Traverna in Stone Town has really good pizza. 

Serena Hotel in Stone Town has a great bar for sundowners with a great view of the ocean. 

Activities 

Prison Island has a very cool colony of giant tortoises. It's about a 20 minute boat ride from Stone Town.

Swimming with wild dolphins in Kizimkazi (Sourthern part of the island) was the highlight of my Zanzibar visit. It's about 1.5 hour drive from the Next Paradise beach resort.

I've also had friends that have gone on a Spice Tour, but I haven't actually tried it myself. 

1. Stone Town (attraction)
  2. Emerson Spice (hotel)
  3. Hotel Next Paradise Boutique Resort (hotel)
  4. Prison Island (attraction)
  5. Kizimkazi (city)

Janine from Toronto

If you are after the beach - I booked 3 nights at the Melia Zanzibar Hotel and it was amazing! I went off-season (early June) and got an unbelievable rate for an all-inclusive stay. 

I would also recommend Emerson Spice hotel in Stone Town. Beautifully decorated rooms in the most amazing historic building. And DO NOT miss the outstanding 5 course tasting menu on the rooftop resto. It's $30 and it might just be the best meal of your life. Get up to the roof in time to watch a spectacular sunset over the rooftops while listening to the evening chanting. And get the cocktail with the konyagi, lime and honey!

1. Melia Zanzibar Hotel (hotel)
  2. Emerson Spice (hotel)

Bryan from Newburgh, Indiana

After I climbed Kilimanjaro I went to Zanzibar and stayed for a week at the Zanzibar Retreat Hotel in Matemwe and it was such a great experience. A half booking, which includes breakfast and dinner, is very affordable and everything, from the food to the staff to the rooms was top notch. Try to stay in one of the two second story rooms that look over the Indian ocean and have their own sun deck. There are only twelve rooms so you will feel like the treatment from the staff and management is not only exclusive, but the beginning of actual friendships. Ever since returning home, I've been dying to go back. You won't regret booking there.

1. Zanzibar (city)
  2. Zanzibar Retreat Hotel (attraction)

Jen from Toronto

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the resort I stayed at, but I spent most of my time on Zanzibar at Kendwa Beach on the west coast.  Beautiful white sand beach with some absolutely gorgeous sunsets.

Mnemba Island on the east coast is a popular spot for SCUBA diving and snorkelling.

In Stone Town I stayed at the Safari Lodge.  It is budget accommodation located close to the ferry terminal - it was very basic but clean and comfortable.  Make sure you check out the nightly fish market in Stone Town.  Fantastic fresh-off-the-boat seafood grilled up right in front of you at dirt cheap prices.

1. Kendwa (region)
  2. Mnemba Island (attraction)
  3. Stone Town (neighborhood)
  4. Safari Lodge (attraction)

Anne from Sheffield

I stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar - Stone Town in Stone Town which had a lovely traditional vibe, however if you want pure luxury, I highly recommend the The Residence . I fell in love with the place and will be heading back when I return. The area is quiet but great for kicking back and chilling Kizimkazi Mtendeni and each villa has their own private pool and stand alone tub. It's incredible 

1. DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar - Stone Town (hotel)
  2. Stone Town (neighborhood)
  3. The Residence (attraction)
  4. Kizimkazi Mtendeni (city)