Paul

Yucatan, Mexico, Belize

Best areas to travel around in Mexico/Belize?

I'm looking for some recommendations with regards to travelling around Mexico and Belize. We are flying into and out of Cancun and have 3 and a half weeks to explore- travel appears somewhat disconnected.

Are there any recommendations?

Eva from New York City

So hard to narrow it down. 2 of my favorite places. 

Unless you plan to drive, I would take the ADO bus to Merida, then visit Campeche - and on to San Cristobal de las Casas. Stopping off at a bunch of ruins in between (ie buses pass the turn off for Uxmal between Merida and Campeche - about a 50 yard walk to the hotels and ruins entrance). With Palenque if time permits. 

If budget permits, you can hire someone like William Lawson's driving service to bring you from Merida to as many Pu'uc Route ruins as you want, then leave you at Uxmal for the night. You can visit the ruins first thing in the morning, then continue on the next day from there. 

There is also something to be said for flying from Merida to San Cristobal to cut out the buses and then take a bus to Palenque. From Palenque you can fly back to Cancun. 

If you want to add Belize to the mix, I would stay more on the coast of Mexico. Head down through Playa and Tulum to Bacalar - then make the crossing in Belize at Chetumal where you can take a water taxi right to Ambergris Caye. You'd have to fly to Hopkins or Dangriga from Belize City. IMO, Hopkins is a lot nicer - and there is nightlife there. Dangriga felt a little dodgy to me when I walked around during the day, although there is the Marie Sharp's Fine Foods Limited factory there!

1. Merida (city)
  2. Campeche (attraction)
  3. San Cristobal de las Casas (city)
  4. Uxmal (city)
  5. Palenque (attraction)
  6. Marie Sharp's Fine Foods Limited (restaurant)

Depends on what you like and your travel style. I'd spend most of my time in the interior because of all the limestone caves in the Cayo. People into snorkeling and lolling around on the beach will go to the cayes (I think Caye Caulker is one of the more popular ones). Dangriga is kind of fun and lively, but Hopkins is a bit sleepy for my taste. And the less said about Belize City, the better.

1. Cayo (city)
  2. Caye Caulker (island)
  3. Dangriga (city)
  4. Hopkins (hotel)
  5. Belize City (city)