• Amy West
  • "Your Craziest Travel Adventures?"

Amy West

Jacksonville, Florida

Your Craziest Travel Adventures?

What's the craziest adventure you've said "yes" to when traveling?

• Stuart Clarke-Frisby

When me and my then-girlfriend decided 6 weeks after meeting that we should move to New Zealand for a couple of years, I thought that would be the craziest travel adventure I'd ever say yes to, but it wasn't.

Soon after arriving in New Zealand we ran into some visa issues which meant the job I had secured there - and which was going to pay for our adventure - was no longer an option. With two year working holiday visas, no desire to return to England, and no way to fund the kinds of adventures we wanted, we did something else.

My girlfriend found this crazy little village on the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand where we could volunteer at a hippy backpackers in return for a place to stay. And we went there.

General Trippy MediaRongo Backpackers & Gallery

Now, I am not the kind of person who relishes the kind of country-life that comes with even a comfortable place in the wilderness, I enjoy franchise coffee outlets, high-speed wifi, and the comfort of a reliable public transport infrastructure. So imagine my dismay when I found myself (at the end of a three day journey involving 6 busses, a boat, and 2 near-death experiences) in a rainbow painted house in a hamlet of just a couple of hundred people, where the guests were the kind of people who wore hemp-based clothing and smoked a lot of drugs and where the nearest hint of post 1920s civilisation was a soulless town an unreachable 90 kilometres away.

General Trippy MediaKaramea

My girlfriend was in her element, painting, exploring the landscape, and getting involved in all manner of artistic pursuits. I was Napoleon on Elba.

3 months passed, and I left there with a massive sense of relief, and some lessons in tolerance, patience, and small-scale sustenance farming.

My girlfriend and I moved to Wellington and back to civilisation. She's now my wife and we live in Amsterdam.

• Amy W.

Amy W.

That is an epic story! As someone who honeymooned in New Zealand I can imagine what you experienced! Bravo! clearly the experience was enough to cement the relationship. · (0 likelikes)

1. Rongo Backpackers & Gallery (hotel)
    2. Karamea (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Stuart a Thank You Note