Kirsten asked

Driving from Portland Oregon to Yosemite National Park, any "must sees?"

My husband and I are coming over from Australia and plan to drive from Portland OR, to Yosemite National Park. It looks like an amazing drive, we have two days to do it. Is there anyone who can give me the low down on places not to miss please?

Portland Yosemite National Park

Phillip

Two days is asking a lot....straight down I-5 then E to Jamestown (California), staying at old west hotel.  2nd day you'll enter park....suggest you leave the park via Tioga Pass, then S on 395 to Bishop (California) then crossing Death Valley and fly out from Las Vegas...

Kirsten
Thanks for the info. I’m thinking we may need 3 days to do the mis part of the trip justice. Such an amazing opportunity to see so many wonderful sights. Thankyou

Phillip
if it's a once in a lifetime trip, I would devote even more than 3 days....good luck.

1. Jamestown (California) (city)
  2. Tioga Pass (attraction)
  3. Bishop (California) (city)
  4. Death Valley (attraction)
  5. Las Vegas (city)
Jean from France

Hello

Lake Tahoe and its Emerald Bay, and also Mono Lake are worth a visit from my point of view

1. Lake Tahoe (city)
  2. Emerald Bay (attraction)
  3. Mono Lake (attraction)
Dave from Houston

You wouldn't be going to Yosemite National Park unless you love nature and beautiful scenery. 

You could take an inland route stopping at Crater Lake National Park and following the Redwood Highway. Redwood forests are amazing and so is Crater Lake. 

You could take a coastal route. Oregon's rugged seacoast is just outstanding and the Columbia River from Portland to the Pacific Ocean is incredibly scenic.

Tough choice. 

Kirsten
Thanks so much. It is a very tough choice. We will be driving all the way to San Diego along the coast, after visiting Dan Fransisco. Perhaps the Redwoods are calling... America has so many beautiful places to spend time in. Our 6 weeks seems like it’s too short. I appreciate your help. 😊

Crater Lake was what I was trying to think of when I said Lassen.

I don't know if the Coastal Highway south of Carmel is open yet, but there are ways to zig-zag back and forth if you want to do that. We never did San Francisco to Monterey along the coast because we always went via Big Basin which is a Coastal Redwood park (a different species than the Sequoias)

The things I would like to see going to Yosemite Valley from Portland - I would like to drive along the river to Mt Hood and then I would like to see Lassen Volcanic National Park.  But I would also like to drive along the coast through Coos Bay and Eureka (California) and of course Muir Woods National Monument  But that would probably take more than 2 days

Kirsten
Thankyou, that’s very helpful.