Steven

Yellowstone National Park

Bucket- List road trip

My husband and I are planning a road trip from Salt Lake City to Yellowstone . we are flying into SLC 9/4/17 , renting an RV from Cruise America and would like to camp an hour out of SLC the first night then up early to continue our journey to Yellowstone taking in sights along the way including the Grand Tetons National park.are there campgrounds outside SLC? we would like to spend 4-5 nights in Yellowstone. we plan to return to Salt Lake City for our return flight home on 9/15/17   Can we make a loop and are the roads ok to travel with a 25 foot class c camper

do we need to make all camping reservations in advance?

we are excited

Matt from Allentown, Pennsylvania

We drove through Bear Lake State Park Utah which is maybe 2 hours outside of Utah - really nice quiet area. I'm sure there are RV facilities somewhere near there. But if it were me, I'd head east of SLC to Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area – perfect place for an RV and you won't be disappointed. You could easily do a loop and include both areas. From Bear Lake you'll go through Star Valley on your way to Jackson, a nice entry into the mountains of NW Wyoming. Be sure to save 2 days or so for the Grand Tetons and Jackson. You won't want to short-shrift yourself there.

1. Bear Lake State Park (attraction)
  2. Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area (attraction)

Ellen

There is a campground/hot springs north of SLC we stayed in called Crystal Hot Springs in Honeyville.

1. Crystal Hot Springs (attraction)
  2. Honeyville (attraction)

Martin from Colorado

Yes, make advance reservations for any spots in any of the parks.  Things die off a bit after Labor Day since most kids are back in school.  Guessing the RV is your only mode of transport, for me it's nice to book a spot for a couple of nights in a row, but since all the campgrounds will have bear regulations you will have to pack up everyday and time savings are minimal.

You should be able to drive that sized RV on most of the roads in the park.  Check the websites they will have standard lengths listed and any alterations based on construction.  

(Watch for bicyclists and your sideview mirrors when you are driving an RV.  They stick out pretty far and most drivers don't take into account for the "wingspan" and every year a couple of cyclists get hit and killed by the mirrors, with the RVers totally unaware that they hit someone.)

Looping around if you come up from the South you can exit West Yellowstone head west till I-15.  Go up to Gardiner go to Bozeman I-90 to I-15.  (If not pressed for time I prefer backroads look at your map for more scenic routes)

My favorite would be (Much longer) out the NE Entrance through Cooke CityNorth through Red Lodge and then south over to Cody then back through the East Entrance or to Lander over Togwotee Pass and back to Jackson (Wyoming).  

I posted a couple of years ago on this site about the Yellowstone, search for it or here is the link http://www.trippy.com/question/Yellowstone-National-Park-What-to-do-with-one-day-at-Yellowstone/answer/55a43ffbe4b09421f5d81a58#answerItemView_55a43ffbe4b09421f5d81a58

1. West Yellowstone (city)
  2. Gardiner (city)
  3. Bozeman (attraction)
  4. Cooke City (city)
  5. Red Lodge (city)
  6. Cody (attraction)
  7. Lander (city)
  8. Togwotee Pass (attraction)
  9. Jackson (Wyoming) (city)