Sam

Yellowstone National Park, Roswell (New Mexico)

2 week roadtrip from houston

Looking for most scenic route from houston to Yellowstone park. For return trip, would like to take a different route, and see roswell on the way back. Dont mind driving 14hrs and then stopping somewhere to sightsee. Like nature stuff, hiking, animals, caverns, etc. Have 2 weeks spare time, can extend to 3 weeks. Traveling with a teenager.

Matt from Allentown, Pennsylvania

That's a lot of miles to cover… hopefully you will have several weeks to do this trip so you can enjoy a somewhat leisurely pace. Save time for Grand Teton National Park and Jackson, Wyoming as well. The Tetons offer greater views, hikes, horsebacking and lake activities in my opinion. Your teenager may enjoy that.

You can't escape driving the vast barrenness of Texas, so take I-10 and hoof it to El Paso, then north on I-25 into New Mexico through Las CrucesAlbuquerque, with a planned stop in Santa Fe. Explore the historic city, Canyon Rd. arts district or the surrounding mountains, Rio Grande Gorge, Tent Rocks or Bandelier National Monument. Another day's drive will get you to Denver where you could take a side trip to Boulder, Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Continue north to Cheyenne, then head west on I-80 to Rawlins. From there, take Hwy 287 through Dubois (Wyoming) and into the Jackson (Wyoming) / Grand Teton National Park region. From what others have posted on Trippy, it's the most scenic drive into northwest Wyoming.

Return trip, I'd head east from Yellowstone Lake to Cody and Sheridan, then take I-25 east (possible stop at Devils Tower) to the Black Hills of South Dakota. Save several days to spend here, visiting Spearfish CanyonDeadwoodSturgis (South Dakota)Mt RushmoreCuster and Badlands National Park and Wind Cave National Park.

Work your way south to I-80, then it's either retrace your route from Denver (to include Roswell (New Mexico) and Carlsbad Caverns National Park take this route, via I-40/Hwy 285 east of Albuquerque) or continue south to I-70 and head east to I-35, heading south through Wichita, Oklahoma City, Dallas, then I-45 back to Houston. Not much to see or do along this stretch, but maybe you can search Google for some interesting stops along the way.

1. El Paso (city)
  2. Las Cruces (city)
  3. Albuquerque (city)
  4. Santa Fe (city)
  5. Tent Rocks (attraction)
  6. Bandelier National Monument (attraction)
  7. Denver (city)
  8. Estes Park (city)
  9. Rocky Mountain National Park (park)
  10. Cheyenne (attraction)
  11. Rawlins (city)
  12. Dubois (Wyoming) (city)
  13. Jackson (Wyoming) (city)
  14. Grand Teton National Park (park)
  15. Yellowstone Lake (attraction)
  16. Cody (attraction)
  17. Sheridan (city)
  18. Devils Tower (attraction)
  19. Spearfish Canyon (attraction)
  20. Deadwood (city)
  21. Sturgis (South Dakota) (city)
  22. Mt Rushmore (attraction)
  23. Custer (city)
  24. Badlands National Park (park)
  25. Wind Cave National Park (park)
  26. Roswell (New Mexico) (city)
  27. Carlsbad Caverns National Park (park)

OK here is a possible route to go to Yellowstone

Houston via Fort Worth (cattle drive) and Amarillo to  Trinidad (Colorado) with a side trip to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve.  Then on to Pikes Peak Cog Railway Station and the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.  You might want to stop at Rocky Mountain National Park on the way to Cheyenne  I don't know whether you want to deviate east to see the Badlands National Park in any case - Cody is a good place to enter Yellowstone National Park

Coming back from Yellowstone National Park go back down to Jackson through Grand Teton National Park  Then through Utah to Grand Canyon Village and then to Roswell (New Mexico)  From here you can go to Carlsbad Caverns National Park before you return to Houston