Tracy
Singapore

Yangon, Myanmar

Places to go for 4D3N in Yangon, Myanmar

Hi friends,

I will be visiting Myanmar in upcoming April for 4D3N. This will be my first visit and wondering if anyone can suggest must-see places in Yangon to fill my 4D3N there? I would like to have biking activity if possible. If you have any local agent contact will be great as well.

Anyone knows how much roughly cost for one meal and accommodation there? Any advices that I need to know is greatly welcome.

Thank you. :)

Micky from Portland

Food is cheap but lodging not so cheap. April might be better as it is off season. Not sure when the water festival is?

Take a tour with Yangon Heritage Trust if you  interested in historical buildings. Expensive but worth it. 

Bogyoke is touristy- check out the Bogyoke Market around 27th to see the local food and herbal remedies.  

1. Bogyoke Market (attraction)

Jae from Singapore

Well, the circular train that runs a loop around the city was worth half a day of activity. There are a bunch of pagodas, and if this is your first time to Myanmar, it may be worth visiting at least one (maybe the  Shwedagon Pagoda). The  Bogyoke Market is interesting enough for you to get an idea of a market. 

As far as riding a bike goes, the major roads that run throughout the city are a bit difficult to bike, as the drivers seem aggressive and liberally use their horns to honk you off the road. I think it's possible to bike around the smaller lake that exists just north of the central area ( Kandawgyi Lake), where incidentally you can sign up for a dinner and show. 

Local cheap meals can range between $2 - $5 USD, though I would recommend picking places that are intended for tourists/expats/foreigners, since the food preparation methods in Myanmar are even worse than in Laos. These places will run a bit more expensive, from $4 - $15 USD. 

Prices for accommodations run all over the board, with hostels/guesthouses ($7 - $20), cheap hotels ($30 - $60), mid range ($50 - $150). The prices are actually about the same as staying in SIngapore, though the rooms will be less modern but larger.

Taxis are relatively affordable- find something in the guidebook or online that suits your fancy and hire a taxi to take you there!

1. Shwedagon Pagoda (attraction)
  2. Bogyoke Market (attraction)
  3. Kandawgyi Lake (attraction)

Aung from Kingston (Jamaica)

You can spend about 2 USD for a nice lunch at an average restaurant. Hotels are not expensive either.