Jillian

World's best cities for street art?

I just got back from visiting Brooklyn and it's left me really inspired to explore places with a thriving street art scene. What are the best cities in the world for street art? Where are the best spotting grounds or specific streets in these cities? Would love to see photos if you have them!

Michael from Chicago

I recommend the La Candelaria district in Bogota for some Colombian street art.  It is the historic part of the city so the art on the old architecture is awesome.  For an inexpensive place to stay, you could try Casa Platypus.  Enjoy!

1. La Candelaria (neighborhood)
  2. Casa Platypus (hotel)

MacKenzie from Providence

Berlin!!!

The East Side Gallery of the Berlin Wall
is a must-see, and you'll find tons just wandering around the neighborhood Kreuzberg. Be sure to check out some of the artists' squats such as Köpi for crazy street art!

1. Berlin (city)
  2. East Side Gallery (attraction)
  3. Kreuzberg (region)
  4. Köpi (attraction)

Ben from London

East London around Brick Lane and Shoreditch High St has great street art

1. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
  2. Shoreditch High St (attraction)

Ryan from Astoria

Rio de Janeiro by far. Not even close. Everywhere you look is covered in beautiful art.

1. Rio de Janeiro (city)

Taylor from Pennsylvania

Granada, Spain!  The works of El niño de las pinturas are all over the city.  You'll have a blast wandering around the labyrinth of streets trying to find it.  He's also done murals in other cities around the world. http://www.elninodelaspinturas.es/

Compliments of Boamistura (http://www.boamistura.com/projects.html), you can also find a lot of cool street art in MadridMallorca and other parts of Spain and the world.  I love their stuff too. The photo I took below is on Calle Huertas in the famous Barrio de las Letras in Madrid (not far from the Puerta del Sol).

1. Granada (city)
  2. Madrid (city)
  3. Mallorca (restaurant)
  4. Barrio de las Letras (neighborhood)
  5. Puerta del Sol (attraction)

Noor from Netherlands

Barcelona is great for street art. They even offer street art walking tours whereby you decide how much the tour is worth. This is not like a tourist guide thing, it is actually a graffiti artist who does the tour himself. Very knowledgeable.

You can read about my experience of the tour here: http://blog.lifestylebarcelona.com/barcelona-street-style-tour/

1. Barcelona (city)

Grant from Chicago

Shoreditch and East London for sure! Killer street art. Love the fact that the locals have really embraced the street art scene there too. Many of the (very talented!) artists have started their own galleries. 

1. Shoreditch (neighborhood)

Andrea from Seattle

Surprisingly Israel has lots of public art and street art, especially Tel Aviv and Netanya

1. Israel (country)
  2. Tel Aviv (city)
  3. Netanya (city)

Billy from Chicago

I saw some pretty sweet street art in Valparaiso

1. Valparaiso (city)

Filippo from Italy

Melbourne,is nice for steet art......

1. (attraction)

Valerie from Los Angeles

I'll second San Francisco! Particularly in the Mission District, one of the most popular parts of the city for street art. You can spend an entire day just walking through the streets looking at all the art. Clarion Alley, Osage St, and 24th St are favorite blocks of mine. 

Diego Rivera has three frescos in the city, one in The City Club of San Francisco, another at the San Francisco Art Institute and the last one at the City College of San Francisco.

Oakland has more recently been making a name for themselves in regards to street art. The old Parkway Speakeasy Theater on Park always has new murals (usually political). The underpass on Grand Ave is a huge canvas for local artists. The first friday of every month, Oakland has the Art Murmur where local artists and galleries put their art on display for the public. 

1. San Francisco (city)
  2. Mission District (neighborhood)
  3. Clarion Alley (attraction)
  4. Osage St (attraction)
  5. 24th St (attraction)
  6. The City Club of San Francisco (attraction)
  7. San Francisco Art Institute (attraction)
  8. City College of San Francisco (attraction)
  9. Oakland (city)
  10. Parkway Speakeasy Theater (attraction)
  11. Grand Ave (attraction)

There was a lot of "street art" when we were in Barcelona -- especially near the area below Parc Güell

1. Parc Güell (attraction)

Lola from Leitrim

I will start with Casco Viejo in Panama where I am from. A neighborhood with french history. Rolo de Sedas graces one of the streets there. He is one of my favorite artist and I had the luck of meeting him earlier this year. Parque Omar is a second location for great street art in Panama.

Mami Empollerada by Rolo de Sedas.

Parque Omar mural depicting Panamanian culture.

The community of Kazimierz is full of street art and I loved walking around there. It's the artsy part of Krakow in Poland. You can also find some in Podgórze across the river Vistula.

This made me smile and my favorite in Kazimierz.

This one was done after the nazi occupation in remembrance of the family who lived here and was executed.

This one is in Podgorze at an old factory that is an event space now.

5 Pointz in Long Island City, Queens NYC is fantastic. I lived in the neighborhood a few years but never took a picture of it. The one below I got online. Other areas are all over Brooklyn. Certainly you will find some in the East Village and Lower East Side of Manhattan NYC.

Five Pointz in Queens, NYC.

1. Casco Viejo (attraction)
  2. Parque Omar (attraction)
  3. Kazimierz (attraction)
  4. Podgórze (attraction)
  5. 5 Pointz (attraction)
  6. Brooklyn (neighborhood)
  7. East Village (neighborhood)
  8. Lower East Side (attraction)

Gail from Madison

Seattle has the best street art. It's all over the city, most of it is unheralded--just super cool stuff.  

1. Seattle (city)

Sarah from Hamburg

Hey Jillian,

there's obviously East London, you can simply go for a walk there and will find tons of street art (start at Brick Lane). Less popular but equally nice: Hamburg (start at Sternschanze or check this link http://www.journeytodesign.com/2014/12/21/street-art-walk-hamburg/).

Best,

Sarah

2. Brick Lane (neighborhood)
  3. Hamburg (city)
  4. Sternschanze (metro area)

I just got back from Berlin, street art capital of the world, so I have to say that it's definitely one of them.  Here are a few photos that I took around town:I absolutely love San Francisco (check out the Mission District, there's some Banksy there) and Oakland as well (go for Oakland Art Murmur on first Fridays).

1. Berlin (city)
  2. San Francisco (city)
  3. Mission District (neighborhood)
  4. Oakland (city)
  5. Oakland Art Murmur (attraction)

Emma from Ballarat

My sister is in Barcelona at the moment and she absolutely LOVES the street art there.  She's been on two street art walking tours and then followed up by visiting some galleries that some of the artists exhibit in.  

1. Barcelona (city)

Corinne from Sydney, Australia

Hosier Lane in Melbourne Australia is the best place for street art. Each time I visit the art has changed. A must when visiting Melbourne.

Here is one of my Flickr accounts of Hosier Lane photographs.

1. Hosier Lane (attraction)
  2. (attraction)

Suzanne from Pasadena

I immediately thought of the Mission District in San Francisco - as did Seoulsfgirl - great minds think alike! Also I took a terrific walking food tour of the Mission District and a tour of the street art was included. The food is out of this world! I believe we made 8 stops and if you like tacos, don't miss it! http://www.foodieadventures.com/FoodieAdventures/Chris_Milanos_FOODIE_ADVENTURES%21____San_Francisco_Food_Tours____Culinary_Walking_Tours_of_San_Francisco____Tour_Info.html

1. Mission District (neighborhood)

Kemkem from Malaga

Berlin is a great city for street art. It is everywhere! from little ones to giant murals on the buildings, and of course Berlin Wall is chock full of it. There is definitely a lot of talent out there.

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Berlin Wall (attraction)

George Town in Malaysia has some great street art.

1. George Town (city)

Kathleen from Saint Petersburg (Florida)

Saint Petersburg (Florida), FL has made a huge step forward in street art with a recent art fest in which murals were being simultaneously created all over downtown.  St. Pete's always been an arts city, but the street art is taking the city to a new level!

1. Saint Petersburg (Florida) (city)

Jeff from Seattle

Barcelona  Visual (grafitti) was ok, but performance art was everywhere.

1. Barcelona (city)

Asan from San Francisco

There are many cities for street art where I traveled in the world. But I can choose Kuala Lumpur . another city Thessaloniki in Greece. But I couldn't add images.

1. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  2. Thessaloniki (city)

Orian from New York City

Montreal is a fantastic place to find great street art. In fact they have a mural festival dedicated to creating and touring street art. Here's one of my favorites that I saw when visiting last summer: 

1. Montreal (city)

Nathaniel from Boston

Maybe not the best - but certainly mentionable is Athens, particularly Monastiraki

I wish I had more to say about it except that you'll find huge building-sized murals on every corner. There's a dilapidated style to Athens, and the street art, when it's not just graffiti, makes it all feel more alive.

1. Monastiraki (attraction)

Ulrike from Leipzig, Germany

I like the street art in Granada, Spain or Berlin

1. Granada (city)
  2. Berlin (city)

Özge from Turkey

2. Amsterdam (city)
  4. Spain (country)

Abbie from Kingston, Rhode Island

I loved seeing the art and tribute to comics around Brussels, Belgium. They take up the sides of buildings and you can find great tiny pieces that when pieced together make up a large design. Also, just taking the train around Munich I found some great street art.

1. Brussels (city)
  2. Munich (city)

Ryan

Rio de Janeiro by far. Not even close.

1. Rio de Janeiro (city)

Nardine from Tamworth (England)

Nt sure if it's been mentioned already but Christchurch CBD since the rebuild there's some amazing art and installations

1. Christchurch (city)

Philip from London

BelfastRio de Janeiro definitely 

1. Belfast (attraction)
  2. Rio de Janeiro (city)

Maria from Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon, capital city of Portugal!

1. Lisbon (city)

Nardine from Tamworth (England)

Although I haven't seen it first hand, I understand that there are some beautiful and though provoking pieces in Christchurch CBD since the earthquake that desimated the city.

Then of course if you were lucky enough to get a ticket, Weston-super-Mare for Banksy's Dismaland

1. Christchurch (city)
  2. Weston-super-Mare (city)

Penelope from San Antonio

San Antonio, Texas, USA. West side community murals. http://www.sananto.org

1. San Antonio (city)

Jahn from Barcelona

I love the project of Sascha - Art Walk NYC http://artwalknyc.com/

They even created an app for you to discover it --> iTunes

In this case I have to pledge New York City as my personal street art capital

1. New York City (city)

Jeremy

Berlin

It is amazing. Art everywhere, murals on the side of several story buildings are common. 

Street Art Berlin

1. Berlin (city)

Sondra from Canada

I've travelled to Europe, China, Japan, Indonesia, South Africa, etc  and the best city for street art is Melbourne, Australia. The famous street for street art in Hosier Ln (Hosier Lane).

You won't be disappointed.

1. (attraction)
  2. Hosier Ln (attraction)

Al from Miami

Miami's art-infused Wynwood Arts District, a showcase for graffiti that roughly ranges west of North Miami Avenue to Northwest Fifth Avenue, centering on Northwest Second Avenue, between NW 22 and NW 27 Streets. 

1. Miami (city)
  2. Wynwood Arts District (attraction)