Winnipeg

What's the best neighborhood in Winnipeg for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Winnipeg and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Winnipeg is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

b from Winnipeg

I'd Suggest staying near downtown at The Forks. Its a major tourist attraction with lots to see & eat, and lots of great shopping.  There is a new hotel there, Inn at The Forks. Alternatively, The new Mere Hotel is located right on the river and there are lots of great restaurants near by in the very trendy Exchange District (if you like that, you'll also love Osborne Village!). Another great attraction is the Assiniboine Park Zoo where they recently installed "The Journey To Churchill".... defiantly a MUST SEE!

1. The Forks (attraction)
  2. Inn at The Forks (hotel)
  3. Mere Hotel (hotel)
  4. Exchange District (attraction)
  5. Osborne Village (attraction)
  6. Assiniboine Park Zoo (attraction)

Lacey from Winnipeg

Central location would be downtown but be careful some hotels are older and tend to have sketchy looking people hanging around.  Best bet is The Fort Garry Hotel, the Delta Winnipeg Hotel, Fairmont Winnipeg, Humphry Inn & Suites, Downtown Winnipeg and Inn at the Forks.  May be a little pricey, but those are your best bets as far as central