Alyce
Melbourne

Alyce from Melbourne asked

What island should we stay on?

We are hoping to travel to the Whitsunday Islands in September because we heard that was the best time to go.  We live in Melbourne, so we will most likely go 3-4 days - we would like to rent jet skis to see the different islands.  What island should we stay at? We like to go out and explore but at the same time love a nice beach without too many kids. 

Whitsunday Island   Australia

Ernst from Long Island (New York)

I traveled in the Whitsunday's twice (last time was 15 yrs ago) and both times a group of friends and I rented a sailboat through http://www.rentayacht.com.au/  I'm sure there are other companies that rent yachts there.  This allowed us to visit several islands and we slept on the boat in berths.  There are a variety of sizes and types of vessels to choose from.  I think there are also multi-day cruises with other companies that you can join. For renting jet skis, I think Hamilton Island would be the best bet, as it's the most developed. Long Island (Australia) is a lot quieter and we enjoyed a couple of days there. Whitehaven Beach is awesome, but there's no overnight there. There may be a resort on the other side of Whitsunday Island, but I'm not sure. If you want the most luxurious resort, I hear that's Hayman Island.

Juliana from Las Vegas

I think it depends on what you want to do. Hamilton Island is your place for nightlife and bigger crowds. If you want a more relaxing vacation I've heard Bowen is a nice area. 

1. Hamilton Island (island)
  2. Bowen (city)