Spencer

Whistler, Vancouver

What are your must-eat, drink, do recommendations in Whistler/Vancouver?

It's my first trip (ridin' solo) to Whistler (5 days) and Vancouver (2 days) next week. On the docket includes bobsledding, snowboarding, and ziptrekking. I'm squared away for accommodations. What are some other must-do, eat, drink (think craft distilleries and breweries) recommendations?

Jay from Naramata

In Whistler, Elements Urban Tapas Parlour does an excellent breakfast and Alta Bistro does an incredible dinner.  You will also not go wrong with Bearfoot Bistro and Rim Rock Cafe, crazy good food and awesome wine list.

Favourite Distilleries - In vancouver Long Table Distillery does excellent Gin, as does The Liberty Distillery in Granville Island.  Up in Whistler be sure to check out the Pemberton Distillery.

Breweries - Too many to mention but if you hit the craft beer market in Vancouver you will get your fill.

So much good food in Vancouver.  I am big fan of The Fat Badger and Espana Restaurant.  Same chef, one is true english gastropub food and the other is very good spanish food.  Also love Fable Kitchen and Edible Canada for local ingredients.  You will also be impressed with Cinara, L'Abattoir, Norturno, Exile Bistro, and Boulevard Cafe.

For cool lunches be sure to check out Meat & Bread and TacoFino.

Cheers

1. Elements Urban Tapas Parlour (restaurant)
  2. Alta Bistro (restaurant)
  3. Bearfoot Bistro (restaurant)
  4. Rim Rock Cafe (restaurant)
  5. Long Table Distillery (attraction)
  6. The Liberty Distillery (attraction)
  7. Pemberton Distillery (restaurant)
  8. The Fat Badger (restaurant)
  9. Espana Restaurant (restaurant)
  10. Fable Kitchen (restaurant)
  11. Edible Canada (restaurant)
  12. Cinara (restaurant)
  13. L'Abattoir (restaurant)
  14. Exile Bistro (restaurant)
  15. Boulevard Cafe (restaurant)
  16. Meat & Bread (attraction)
  17. TacoFino (restaurant)

Katie from Portland

There are two Vancouver must-eats that immediately come to mind. In fact, I'd fly from Portland just for dinner at either of these spots at any indication of a decent plane fare.

Vij’s remains crave-worthy even months after a dining experience. The flavor, aroma and color of these contemporary Indian dishes make the first-come-first-serve seating policy worth extensive waits. You can't go wrong anywhere on the menu, but the lamb popsicles in fenugreek cream curry make for an especially delicious and popular dish. While you wait for your table, pop into West down the street for cocktails and a nice bar scene.

Sushi at Tojo's Restaurant cannot be missed. Sit at the sushi bar and order omakase-style. Tojo himself may be the one to take great care of your dining experience. The local delicacies are fresh caught that day and served simply, yet elegantly. Work the black cod with miso into your courses, if possible.

Cheers!

1. Vancouver (city)
  2. Vij’s (restaurant)
  3. West (restaurant)
  4. Tojo's Restaurant (attraction)

Carlos from Mexico

Last time I was in Whistler, we went to a restaurant called Araxi Restaurant + Bar, right in the village. It's one of the best eating experiences I've had in my life, period.  

Great variety of meals (cooked with local products in many cases), lovely atmosphere and the greatest mashed potatoes I've ever had. Liked it so much we came back twice more to keep trying new stuff.

1. Araxi Restaurant + Bar (restaurant)

Matthew from Victoria

Be sure to grab a burger from Splitz Grill, can't beat it for cheap eats. Super near it you can find the best coffee in Whistler at Mount Currie Coffee Company.

For beers, I'd head over the Brew House great beer and a model train that makes the rounds. My suggestion is staying clear of Whistler Brewing beer, they're really not great and only survive on the cachet of being local.

1. Splitz Grill (restaurant)
  2. Mount Currie Coffee Company (restaurant)
  3. Brew House (restaurant)

Shilo

The Sushi Village Japanese Restaurant for dinner and the Garibaldi Lift Co. Bar & Grill for dancing and drinks, usually have a great DJ lined up.  Be sure to order a drink called a 'Pink Bag.'

1. Sushi Village Japanese Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Garibaldi Lift Co. Bar & Grill (attraction)

Melissa from Roberts Creek, British Columbia

In Vancouver, biking the Seawall in Stanley Park (no matter what the season) is a must. Rent a bike on Denman St and go from there. When you're ready for drinks, head to Gastown, there's more good bars and food than you can shake a stick at. I love The Diamond for cocktails and the Alibi Room for beer. 

1. Stanley Park (park)
  2. Denman St (attraction)
  3. Gastown (neighborhood)
  4. The Diamond (restaurant)
  5. Alibi Room (restaurant)