Misty

Which capital is the world's best travel hub?

I have a bit of a weird question in the sense that it is both completely general and pretty specific.

Next year I have the chance to study abroad in one of the capitals of pretty much any country in the world. I live in Europe, so I would like to go to either Latin America, Asia or Africa, but other than that I have no preference. My main objective is that the place I go to is a sort of a base for me to travel around the continent. I will have to have a job during the week, but I would like to make many shorter and weekend trips at the same time. (I realize of course that any continent is far too wide to really see it in such a short time, but still I would like to see as much as possible.)

So the question is:

Which capital city of any country (in either Latin America, Asia or Africa) has connections to other places and capitals that are many and that are affordable?

Thank you all very much!

Claudia from New York City

For Asia, I would choose Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore.  From Bangkok, you can hop on a direct budget air flight to Siem Reap (Cambodia), Luang Prabang (Laos), Hanoi(Vietnam), Yangon(Myanmar), in fact anywhere in Asia including China, India, and Bhutan.

Likewise for Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. These two metropolises are known for great food, fantastic nightlife and are well connected to other cities in Malaysia and the rest of Asia.

Daily flights, including from budget airlines, are available from Kuala Lumpur and Singapore to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Gold Coast, Australia. I'd previously traveled on Air Asia and Jetstar. You can check out your travel options with Air Asia, Jetstar, Malindo Air and Tiger Air.

Also, Mauritius, Maldives, and Sri Lanka are easily accessible from Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Recently, I went on Sri Lankan Air from Kuala Lumpur to Colombo; the cost was $235 (roundtrip).

Hope this info helps.

2. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  3. Singapore (country)
  4. Siem Reap (city)
  5. Luang Prabang (city)
  6. Hanoi (city)
  7. Bhutan (country)
  8. Sydney (city)
  9. Melbourne (city)
  10. Mauritius (country)
  11. Maldives (country)
  12. Sri Lanka (country)

Marie-France from Toronto

I'd say Bangkok. It's grown into quite an international city over the last 25 years and has a good infrastructure and transportation system (metro, skytrain, two airports). It's the hub for Air Asia, a budget airline that flies all over Southeast Asia and beyond. There are also good night buses and intercity trains. Of course Bangkok itself has tons of things to see, plus lots of other travellers and expats. 

With respect to what other people have suggested (no offense to anyone), Belize City is a dump, and although Colombia is a great country, I wouldn't want to live in Bogota (been there) - Medellin perhaps, but that's not a capital. As somebody else said, flights within South America are expensive, and you'd need to learn Spanish (Portuguese in Brazil) to really enjoy the continent. I've never been to Brazil, but I get the impression that you have to be on your guard all the time in Rio because of pick pockets. 

My thought is that Asia would be the best option for this and also the cheapest.  I personally would prefer South America, but I don't think the connections from one country to another are that easy.  I know nothing about Africa.

Nancie from Halifax, Nova Scotia

I would consider Seoul. The country has a fantastic transportation system. The airport is world class, and you can fly to anywhere from Seoul.

Korea is not the easiest place to live. However, I lived there for 17 years and it worked for me. I did a lot of traveling during those years, both in Korea and other parts of Asia , Europe, and North America

Good luck!

1. Seoul (city)
  2. Korea (region)
  3. Asia (continent)
  4. Europe (continent)
  5. North America (continent)

Päivi

Not a capital city, but by far Istanbul is the world´s best hub (and an Turkish Airlines has one of the largest flight networks)!

1. Istanbul (city)

Janelle from Charleston

Bogota.  Avianca (Colombia's national airline) has grown into one of the largest and best in South America, and Bogota is also a hub for several low cost carriers as well.  Colombia also gets rave reviews from many travellers, who say that it has a first-world economy and first-world infrastructure yet retains a lot of its heritage and history.  CartagenaMedellínSan Andrés Panama City (Panama)Costa Rica, Lima Region, Ecuador and even Manaus are all less than 3 hours by plane and the Amazon basin make easy long weekend trips.  

1. Bogota (city)
  2. Cartagena (city)
  3. Medellín (attraction)
  4. San Andrés (attraction)
  5. Panama City (Panama) (city)
  6. Costa Rica (country)
  7. Lima Region (state)
  8. Ecuador (country)
  9. Manaus (city)

1. Belize (country)

Brazil has the best working and cheapest flight network in South America. It's the only country where budget airlines are common. Because of that, Brazil is a good hub for South America. Especially Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, where you have the biggest airports. Rio is a much nicer city to be in than Sao Paulo, so I would suggest that. 

1. Brazil (country)
  2. Sao Paulo (city)
  3. Rio de Janeiro (city)