Maria
Dublin

Where would you want to go for a great weekend escape?

Imagine it's Friday afternoon. Your friend / partner arrives to collect you from work, your suitcase packed and passport in his / her hand. You're going away for a surprise weekend holiday. Where would you want to go?

As of Monday morning around 9:00 AM, I would say New Orleans-good weather time to visit, we have had 2 trips planned but ended up cancelling over the last few years, and I haven't been in at least a decade.

This is all subject to change at any minute though- :)

1. New Orleans (city)

Theresa from Hollywood

For just a weekend, I'd probably want to go to Sedona. I've never been and it looks beautiful:

There are oodles of other places on my list, but for a short weekend trip I think this would be perfect. A nice mix of getting out of a big city, nature, gorgeous views, and desert landscape, which I love. :)

1. Sedona (city)

Alanna

1. Tuscany (state)

Ellen from Naples

1. The Bahamas (island)

Hyatt Regency Chicago then take cabs all over

1. Hyatt Regency Chicago (hotel)

Rasto from Edmonton

For a great weekend escape I don't want to fly anywhere and waste one day just going through the airport security and all that hassle associated.

To escape city life I would simply mount my kayak on a truck and went to one of the great campgrounds around to enjoy kayaking, fishing and staring at night into campfire with coyotes howling in the background and beer in my hand. :-)

A whim could take me anywhere... but, at the moment, I'd fly to Oaxaca to eat some mole, peruse the Mercado 20 de Noviembre and the Mercado Benito Juárez, and then head off to Monte Alban for a hike. If time allowed, I'd go to Tlacolula de Matamoros to visit friends and buy some new carpets in Teotitlan del Valle.

1. Oaxaca (city)
  2. Mercado 20 de Noviembre (attraction)
  3. Mercado Benito Juárez (attraction)
  4. Monte Alban (attraction)
  5. Tlacolula de Matamoros (city)
  6. Teotitlan del Valle (city)

Angelina from Chicago, Illinois

I would love to visit Colorado Springs if it is a surprise weekend trip. I like the coloured mountain and lovely ways to spend the weekend with my loved ones. I always book my tickets from http://www.asaptickets.com/as I only find this platform very reliable when it comes to last minute booking. It would be total fun weekend. 

1. Colorado Springs (city)

Melissa from Massachusetts

Right now, living in New England where it doesn't seem to want to warm up?  I'm dreaming of sunshine - someplace close enough that you could actually enjoy the weekend without spending the whole time in transit - TulumThe BahamasSan JuanKey West.....I'll take anyplace warm!

1. Tulum (city)
  2. The Bahamas (island)
  3. San Juan (city)
  4. Key West (city)

Fritzi from San Francisco

I love the beach. For a surprise weekend getaway, we could go to Crystal Cove State Beach near Newport, Ca. We would stay in a restored cottage right on the beach. The other two possibilities are Catalina Island or The Big Island, Hawaii. Love to swim with the sea turtles and bask on the black sand beach.

Declan from Dublin

I've spent some good weekends in Galway City.  There's lots of stuff to do, aquarium, visits to the island, food and also great nightlife.  

1. Galway City (attraction)

Rebecca from Manchester

Saint Petersburg (Russia). I bet the cold would make it quite romantic, but mainly, its a place I have wanted to go in a long time. From the UK it could easily be done in a long weekend, and anyone that books me a trip there knows me really well.

1. Saint Petersburg (Russia) (city)

Heidi from Colorado

My knee jerk reaction is Paris, but I would need longer than a weekend to explore the city.

So right now I'd say Pagosa Springs, Colorado because a good soak in a hot springs pool at The Springs Resort & Spa sounds amazing.

2. Pagosa Springs (city)
  3. Colorado (state)
  4. The Springs Resort & Spa (hotel)

Kim from Canada

For a surprise weekend away with my husband hands down I'd pick Negril Jamaica. Beaches, reggae, goat curry and sunsets. Pure bliss :)

1. Negril (city)

Mark

I'd go to Guam

1. Guam (country)

Gina from Minneapolis

Well, isn't that a lovely scenario to imagine! For me, it's Antigua Guatemala, a place that has a white-knuckle grip on my heart and my husband's, too. It's a short flight from the U.S., no jet lag to deal with, and it's just one of the most drop-dead beautiful small cities in the world. It's perfect for strolling, relaxing in a cafe or hotel courtyard, sitting in the Parque Central or, my preferred activity, disappearing beneath stacks of beautiful textiles. 

1. Antigua Guatemala (city)

Since it's only a weekend escape, somewhere that isn't too long of a flight so I'd say New York City or Napa Valley.

1. New York City (city)
  2. Napa Valley (attraction)

Emily from Los Angeles

Right now I'm feeling Yosemite National ParkNicaraguaor Mt Rushmore.  

Not sure why these are in my mind - but honestly ANYWHERE sounds great right now!

1. Yosemite National Park (park)
  2. Nicaragua (country)
  3. Mt Rushmore (city)

Rylee from California

I agree with rasto. For just a weekend wouldn't want to deal with airport security. I would head up to Northern California to Big Sur and Monterey Bay. They have the biggest aquarium in the california also Good hikes and the weather is beautiful. Good place to get out of the city/ suburbs and get back to nature.

1. Big Sur (city)
  2. Monterey Bay (attraction)