Lauren
Petoskey

Where to go in the USA or Canada?

My husband and I won two plane tickets to anywhere in the USA or Canada (excluding Hawaii).

We enjoy good restaurants, getting to know people and local traditions, and being outside. Backwoods or city, either is fine with us. We just want to experience something fun.

Where should we go? What is a favorite of yours? We are planning about two weeks and will most likely rent a vehicle.

Crystal from Anchorage

Hi Lauren,

The US is a huge place, and that is a very difficult question! Some determining factors would be what time of year and where you have been before. It looks like you live in Michigan, so I will assume you want to go somewhat far away from there to make the most out of your prize. I will give you a couple of my favorite options, hopefully it will help get you started. 

If you want a city experience and you haven't been before, New York City is an obvious choice. You could divide your time by staying in different boroughs; I like Harlem in Manhattan, Astoria in Queens, and Williamsburg in Brooklyn. The hotels may be a bit pricey, but you wouldn't be renting a car. I could list a million great things to to and restaurants in this city, but that deserves it's own article. If you didn't want to spend the entire two weeks in the city, consider renting a car for a week and heading up to Connecticut. There are super charming New England seaside towns such as Mystic, great seafood to discover, and interesting art and history in New Haven.

If you were hoping to have more of an awe inspiring outdoorsy experience, go to the American Southwest. You could fly into Las Vegas which can entertain most people for a couple of days at least, but then strike out into the desert to discover some of Americas natural icons such as the great parks of Zion National ParkGrand Canyon National ParkArches National Park, and Death Valley. You could also include the Route 66 town of Flagstaff and just a little further south to Sedona.

If you were looking for a little more of a romantic relaxing getaway, consider Outer Banks of North Carolina. There are miles and miles of undeveloped beachfront and lots of activities to keep you busy while just staying at one place. Laid back beach towns, dockside restaurants, and deep sea fishing are all available here. The Outer Banks are a really narrow strip of islands, better to get here before the rising ocean erases them!

I hope this inspired you! Happy travels.

Crystal

travelerstoast@gmail.com

1. New York City (city)
  2. Connecticut (attraction)
  3. Las Vegas (city)
  4. Zion National Park (park)
  5. Grand Canyon National Park (park)
  6. Arches National Park (park)
  7. Death Valley (attraction)
  8. Flagstaff (city)
  9. Sedona (city)
  10. Outer Banks (region)