Tricia
Vassar

Where should we do a food tour with history?

My Husband and I are researching vacation destinations that are full of history and also have a very diverse food selection! We both have a love for art, history and food and would love to find something that includes all of the above! I kind of have a 'Rachel Rays $40 a day' type of tour in mind, that would include both the history and food sampling... We are interested in more laid back cities such as Amsterdam, anywhere in the Caribbean, etc. If anything exists like what I've described, I'll take any suggestions you may have! Thank you!

Lauren from Chicago

Hi Tricia,

Last year my husband and I visited Prague and went on the most amazing food tour with Jan and Zuzi from Taste of Prague. They took us to try some of the best food Prague has to offer and we had a walking tour with a bunch of history thrown in along the way. They are so passionate about food and Prague and it absolutely shows.

Another wonderful food experience we had was on Bali at the Paon Bali Cooking Class. You can read my recap on my blog here. Another couple who is truly passionate about food and their country. You start with a trip to the busy Ubud Market, tour the family's rice paddies, then actually go to their home and cook with them, and it was the best meal we had on Bali.

Last but not least I have to mention my own city of Chicago. There are several wonderful food tours here: Chicago Food Planet, Chicago Pizza Tours, and Chicago Beer Experience are 3 of my favorites. 

1. Prague (city)
  2. Bali (island)
  3. Chicago (city)

Missy from Newport

You might enjoy the Dalmatian Coast and Islands of  Croatia.  This is a country of diverse cuisine reflecting influences through centuries of inhabitation by many different civilizations.  Specific to Dalmatia is cooking under the Peka Bell, covered in wood ash (see photo).  Vine and tree ripened fruits and vegetables combined with meats and fresh seafood are a definite taste treat.  One of my favorite dishes in Croatia is black squid ink risotto, with the fresh squid just plucked out the Adriatic Sea (see photo from Ankora Konoba-Polace).  Visit little rural farms for local home cooked meals, an option really only available in Croatia, where farm families will provide meals of foods grown specifically on their land or caught in the seas nearby (reservations usually required), complete with their farm pressed olive oil and home made wines.  One can travel the coast by rental car or travel through the islands by local ferries.  And the area is packed with history from Ancient Times through Medieval to the present.  You can find reasonable overnight accommodations in little walled medieval towns filled with walking streets. 

1. Croatia (country)

Kiman from Hoi An

It's Vietnam (especially Hoi An), the heaven to discover foods, culture and history.

1. Vietnam (country)
  2. Hoi An (city)

Ragan from Nebraska

We are landing in Amsterdam when we travel this fall..it is NOT an inexpensive place to be.. The hotels are crazy expensive! We have traveled all over and this is the highest we have seen prices for a room! There is history here, the Anne Frank House is probably the most known..your best friend would probably be a Rick S travel book..or any good reference book. Good luck! Let me know if you find anything extraordinary!

1. Anne Frank House (attraction)

Johnny from Las Vegas

I would look into St. Martin. It's both French and Dutch and has the best food selection in the Caribbean.

Nomade

I do suggest Morocco, it's a beautiful country with History. You will try delicious food too and even have cooking class if you would like.

www.morocco-caravan-tours.com is a good company

1. Morocco (country)

Simon from Toronto

Go on a cruise for under $ 40 a day, explore history in the day and eat all you can on the boat.

Edna from Paris

Akila McConnell, the food writer behind The Road Forks, has started this food tour in Atlanta which "explores the history of the Civil Rights movement through the lens of southern cuisine." 

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2015-07-08/a-new-way-to-explore-atlanta-s-underappreciated-downtown

1. Atlanta (city)

Lee from Merced

San Francisco has many diverse ethnic food offerings, often in locations with gold rush or earthquake stories.  South to Carmel or North to Napa will offer unique local cuisine and sites from Spanish days. 

1. San Francisco (city)
  2. Carmel (city)
  3. Napa (city)

Will from On The Road

Hi Tricia,

At World Leap our partners and collaborators offer a Tour of Foods and a Tour of Wines in cities such as Rome, Italy and Cape Town, South Africa. Our top offerings feature historical and cultural sites as well as the best in wine estates and regional dishes. I think these may be of interest to you.

More information can be found at www.worldleap.co/tours/ . I hope that helps! :-)

2. Cape Town (city)

Vince from Sarasota

Try, research and explore food tours in Tuscany, Italy.

Some pair fine wines with food, include cooking lessons, market visits, etc.

Try the following sites:

lebaccanti.com and theinternationalkitchen.com

Forget Rachel Ray; she can not cook Italian fine meals. There is asignificant difference between Italian and Italian-American. She is not Italian.

1. Tuscany (state)

Jitu from Mumbai

India ... History right from caves and religious significance to maharajas, taj mahal and Gandhi. Food soul filling.

1. India (country)

Ashley

Istanbul! And you should do one of these culinary tours http://www.culinarybackstreets.com/category/istanbul/

Maria João

Hello :-) You might like to read this, I'm a "foodlover "and found it very interesting!  http://bkpk.me/foodporn-around-the-world-in-80-dishes-part-12/ 

Ajai from Noida

You will love these food trails, which couple food with history in India!

http://timespassiontrails.com/index.php/passion/food

1. India (country)

Marco from Ehenbichl, Tirol, Austria

What about a bit of an unknown, nut nevertheless mind blowing destination: Tallinn. Paul gives very inspiring food tours inspired by both Estonian and Nordic cuisine. Estonian cuisine as such is a melting pot of many cultures, such as Russian, scandinavian and German.  https://www.everaround.com/experiences/42--tallinn-food-tour

1. Tallinn (city)

Kathleen from Chicago, Illinois

Amsterdam is NOT a foodie town 

Come to Austin Texas  

You should go to  

Uchi Restaurant for the most amazing sushi 

Odd Duck

LENOIR Restaurant

Salty Sow

The Carillon

qui

Barley Swine

Salt Lick for ice cream

Launderette

Well I could go on and on  

Come to austin you will not regret it

1. Uchi Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Odd Duck (restaurant)
  3. LENOIR Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Salty Sow (restaurant)
  5. The Carillon (restaurant)
  6. qui (restaurant)
  7. Barley Swine (restaurant)
  8. Salt Lick (restaurant)
  9. Launderette (restaurant)

Harold from Bangkok, Thailand

Thailand without a doubt.

1. Thailand (country)

Hi Tricia,

You could have a dream holiday in Italy For me there is no place in the world that combines art, history, culture and cuisine in a better way. Food is regional, so if you love seafood, risotto, beef, cheese, charcuterie, simple food, gourmet food, great wine you will be superbly catered for. I would highly recommend Umbria Tuscany Lombardy or Puglia especially.

1. Italy (country)
  2. Umbria (attraction)
  3. Tuscany (state)
  4. Lombardy (state)
  5. Puglia (state)