Renate
San Francisco Bay Area

Where is your favorite place to hike?

Hiking is one of my very favorite past-times and I am always looking for new trails all over the world. Please share your favorite or most memorable place to hike.

My favorite place to hike is along the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area among the waterfalls (I like Multnomah Falls and Bridal Veil Falls) and up Larch Mountain because there is a hike here for everyone no matter how little time you may have. There are simple hikes that are flat and less than 1/2 mile long and there are hikes as long as 60 miles and some with elevation changes as much as 6000 feet! It's beautiful. The waterfalls provide pools of icy water to play in and streams to cool you off, there are magnificent views and quiet overgrown forest. You'll see furry creatures and wildflowers and there's no such thing as the wrong season - a cold one, may be, but even in the cold, the trails are an adventure if you're prepared.

I also love some of the hiking in the mountains near Valencia where you'll stumble across old Roman aquaducts and river mouths. There's one just an hour out in Bejís where you can go to the source of the river Palancia and follow it (follow signs to Camping los Cloticos then stay left up the road to the source), mostly walking through the cold icy river quite a way down. The water is crystal clear and there are waterfalls along the way.

There are entire books written on the hiking routes through the coastal mountains and natural park areas from Castellón south to Benidorm and beyond.  Check out the green areas on the map. I hiked a bit in the Parque Natural de la Sierra Calderona. It's immense. Serra and Segart are good places to start a hike. I usually walked from the Urbanizacion Los Monasterios where it's an easy hike to Monte Picaio where there's a rocky drop off on the cliff's edge and a view of the Mediterranean. From here, you can walk a couple hours (or less if you're fast) to Monasterio de santo espiritu where you can stop for a break and get a water or coffee in their small cafe. It's near Gilet which is another place to park and begin your hike.

1. Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area (attraction)
  2. Multnomah Falls (attraction)
  3. Bridal Veil Falls (attraction)
  4. Larch Mountain (attraction)
  5. Bejís (city)
  6. Camping los Cloticos (attraction)
  7. Castellón (metro area)
  8. Benidorm (city)
  9. Parque Natural de la Sierra Calderona (attraction)
  10. Serra (city)
  11. Segart (city)
  12. Monasterio de santo espiritu (attraction)
  13. Gilet (city)
  14. Urbanizacion Los Monasterios (attraction)
  15. Monte Picaio (attraction)
  16. Monte Picaio (attraction)

Ross from Fort Collins

Tikal National Park in Guatemala. awesome jungle hikes and you can be in there for months if your brave enough! long nature hikes that open up to huge temple complexes! remember to bring your machete!!

1. Tikal National Park (attraction)

David from Mornington Peninsula

Here in Australia we have many places to Hike and Camp but one o
f my absolutely Idea places is Wilsons Promontory http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/wilsons-promontory-national-park Total natural and protected. Its just awsome

1. Wilsons Promontory (city)

Ernst from Long Island (New York)

Freycinet National Park Australia - Freycinet Peninsula Track, Wineglass Bay and the Hazards.

Bungle Bungle National Park Australia - Piccaninny Gorge.

Karijini-Nationalpark  Australia - Hancock Gorge, Knox Gorge

Kenai Fjords Alaska - Harding Icefield Trail

Zion National Park Utah - The Narrows, Angel's Landing

Arches National Park Utah - Devil's Garden, Delicate Arch

Grand Teton National Park Wyoming - Cascade Canyon

1. Freycinet National Park (park)
  2. Bungle Bungle National Park (park)
  3. Karijini-Nationalpark (attraction)
  4. Kenai Fjords (park)
  5. Zion National Park (park)
  6. Arches National Park (park)
  7. Grand Teton National Park (park)

Gerry from Boston

The Great Wall Of China, amazing views!!!

1. Great Wall Of China (city)

I absolutely love the Tongariro Alpine Crossing in New Zealand, the Besseggen Fjellpark Maurvangen in Norway and the Landmannalaugar hike in Iceland. Tongariro is a blasted volcanic hellscape with steam pouring out of vents in the ground - you saw it if you watched Lord of the Rings. We started off at Mangatepopo at 7 a.m., did the 2-hour sidetrip up Mt Ngauruhoe and made it to Ketetahi Hutby about 3 p.m.

Bessegen is, even in the summer, chilly and surrounded by snowy mountains. There are huge lakes of glacial melt everywhere. Most people take a boat out to Memurubu and then hike back after looking around and spending the night. We arrived around at about 1 p.m., hiked to Memurubu, spent the night, returned on the boat and headed to Flåm.

And Landmannalaugar ... OK, the movie Prometheus wasn't great, but the scenery in the opening credits was spectacular. That's Landmannalaugar. It's also the subject of one of my favorite blog posts. You can do this as a 1-day out-and-back, or a four-day trip to Þórsmörk.

1. Tongariro Alpine Crossing (attraction)
  2. Besseggen Fjellpark Maurvangen (attraction)
  3. Landmannalaugar (attraction)
  4. Mangatepopo (attraction)
  5. Mt Ngauruhoe (attraction)
  6. Ketetahi Hut (hotel)
  7. Memurubu (attraction)
  8. Flåm (city)
  9. Þórsmörk (attraction)

Scott from Bakersfield

My most memorable place to hike was in Glacier National Park.  I have been on several hikes there including to Avalanche Lake and the Highline Trail.  The Highline trail was intense!

1. Glacier National Park (park)

I have hiked in many places around the globe and some of my favorite hikes were in Azores Nepal Mont Blanc Petra Banaue and the portuguese camino from Porto to Santiago de Compostela

And a place that few people think about as a good hiking place is Hong Kong but that place actually has some really good hiking right outside the busy city center.

1. Azores (island)
  2. Nepal (country)
  3. Mont Blanc (attraction)
  4. Petra (city)
  5. Banaue (city)
  6. Porto (city)
  7. Santiago de Compostela (city)
  8. Hong Kong (city)

Jenna from Oakville, Ontario

My two favorite destinations: 
The Bruce Trail across Ontario (Canada) 
The Black Forest through Freiburg im Breisgau

Heaven on earth! 

- Jenna
http://www.giveforgranted.com 

1. Ontario (Canada) (region)
  2. Freiburg im Breisgau (city)