Robert
Fort Wayne

Robert from Fort Wayne asked

Where is the perfect hiking base town?

I'm looking for a great town anywhere in the world to use as a base for trekking for several days. You have to be able to get to it via public transport, and be able to start out hiking right form the town. It should also have a hostel or other cheeper accommodation options. I would like to offer as my perfect example the town of El Chalten at the Base of Mt Fitz Roy in Patagonia.

Would REALLY be keen for a recommendation somewhere in Greece but open to all suggestions!

A place like Chamonix is really great when it comes hiking. You are right in the shadow of Mont Blanc and you have dozens of good hiking trails there.

Pokhara in Nepal is another fantastic place to use as a base for some world class hiking.

Antigua Guatemala in Guatemala is also a good spot to do several really nice hikes from.

Robert
Thanks Claus! Great suggestions and photos. You are right about Chamonix. Spent a few days there befor starting the Haute Route into Switzerland. Pokhara also looks amazing. I'm especially interested in checking into Antigua. I have always wanted to go to Guatamala and never thought of it is a hiking destination.

1. Chamonix (hotel)
  2. Pokhara (attraction)
  3. Antigua Guatemala (city)
Joana from Santo Tirso

You have the mountains of Pyrenees in france. They are huge. You have infinite trails with different points of view. The pyrenees are divised by  Hautes-Pyrénées , Pyrénées-Atlantiques and Pyrénées-Orientales, wich have lots of trails with in mountain with view to the mediterranean sea. The south of france is a nice place to explore. You can found big historical cities, litle farming villages, mountanious landscapes, natural reserves and incredible beaches. It is very easy to move on from a place to another by train, or the easiest way, by bus. Here you have some examples of places to stay and hike around the south of france.

Pyrenees:

Nearest airports:  Toulouse, Bordeaux ( biggest ones )

Pau, Tarbes - Lourdes Pyrenees Airport

From Tarbes you have buses for the villages in pyrenees.

You could stay in Gavarnie
 or Saint-Lary-Soulan too hike in hautes pyrenees, wich is my favourite one and fits perfectly what you are looking for.

Here's a pic of Réserve Naturelle du Néouvielle, near Saint Lary.If you can take a look.

Also, for pyrenees orientales you could stay and start at Bagneres-de-Luchon. Then you have 3 or 4 more big natural reserves in the south of france, but I only was in the Pyrenees. Actually, I live here :). If you want more information about bus schedulles, budgets, cultural curiosities feel free to ask me.

Robert
Thank you Joana! What a beautiful looking area, looks like lots of options!!

Joana from Santo Tirso

I forgot. The island of Azores.

Sao miguel is the biggest and the popular one. There, you can find one of the 7 woders of Portugal, Lagoa das sete cidades ( 7 cities lagoon ). All the islands are beautifull. You can find a mix of greens and blues with plenty of colorfull flowers. Also, Pico is very known because it is the biggest mountain in the island and the biggest of Portugal, about 2300 m. Like it is a vulcanic island, you will easily find hot water spots to relax. Although I live in France, in the pyrenees, I am portuguese. I am suspicious to talk, but if you are looking for nice food and humble, warm people defenitily go to Portugal. It is one of the cheapest and safest country in europe. Here you have a website with all information about azores :

http://trilhos.visitazores.com/pt-pt/trilhos-dos-acores/pico

Robert
Pulled up some trail information on the Azores. I see many smaller trails as well as a circular trail of Santa Maria and a linear trail across Faial. Do you have any favorite islands?

1. Azores (island)
Julie from York

Hi Robert

You can walk straight into The Alps from Solden in Austria. Walks are well signed, and accommodation is far cheaper in the summer than in the ski season.

Julie

Robert
Thank you for your recommendation Julia, that looks perfect. Looked it up, there are some really good resources online for the town and surrounding hikes. I like to travel the spring/fall shoulder seasons best, before the full tourist even though the weather is not always prefect. Do you have a handle as to when the hiking season begins/ends for that region? Thanks!

Julie
Hi Robert, I went in early June and there was even some snowfall then; it was very quiet in terms of no of tourists - they mostly go in the winter for skiing. I believe about June-Sept or October at a stretch.

Robert
Thanks for the travel times info. looks like a great place! I think an extended journey could also include the area mentioned by Jill, Obersalzberg, not far from Salzburg. Hmmm, wonder how much time I can string together :-)

1. Solden (city)
Andrey from Honolulu

Anywhere in the world?

I would say O'ahu, HI. I have been living here 4+ years, have done 60 or more hikes on this island alone. and there are tons more I haven't even seen.

Best thing, is that all the hikes are 1-30 minutes away drive :)

You can find hostel-type accommodations, but it won't be as cheap as say, Thailand. Best of luck!

Robert
Thanks! I never would of thought of O'ahu! I'll look into it further!!

1. O'ahu (attraction)
Mahsa from Tehran

I recommend you town of Damavand in Tehran province of Iran. just forty-five miles northeast of Tehran, the capital city of Iran, amid Alborz Mountain Ranges that divides the central Iranian plateau from Caspian coast, Mount Damavand, the highest summit in the Middle East, lifts its volcanic cone to a height of more than 5671 m. Throughout the year, the snowy white peak with its regular Lenticular Cap Cloud makes Damavand looks fantastic from far away.

Read more about hiking around Mt Damavand 

Also there you can go mountain biking around Tehran in Lar National Park, a protected area on the foot of Mount Damavand, which enjoys the diversity of the flora and fauna species. 

Robert
Thank you Mahsa! I have to admit my ignorance, I was blown away by the Mountain/Volcano photos. It look like a grand place to trek, and not at all what first comes to mind when I think Iran. Worth checking out further I think!!

Mahsa
Thank you, Robert :) and I have to admit that most of the headlines on the news and media are far from what travelers face and experience in Iran. Use the details of these two adventure itineraries if you decide to visit Iran. https://1stquest.com/tours/10/a-trek-to-irans-highest-peak https://1stquest.com/tours/9/adventure-cycling-around-tehran

1. Damavand (city)
  2. Alborz (attraction)
  3. Lar National Park (attraction)
Jill from Windsor, Connecticut

Obersalzberg is a mountainside area situated above the market town of Berchtesgaden in Bavaria, Germany. There are several hotels and restaurants in the village with hiking trails all around the Austrian Alps. It is located about 120 kilometres (75 mi) southeast of Munich, close to the border with Austria - an easy trip to Salzburg too. Taken in part from Wikipedia.

Robert
Thank you for a great suggestion. What a beautiful looking area with lots of trails in the Berchtesgaden National Park and surrounding areas and a side trip to the Eagles Nest. Lots of "Sound Of Music" moments I Think :-)

1. Obersalzberg (attraction)
  2. Bavaria (attraction)
  3. Munich (city)
  4. Salzburg (city)
Murat from Istanbul

Turkey is a perfect place for hiking different hiking routes. Most famous of them are the Lycian Way, St. Paul Trail, Cappadocia trail and Kackar Mountains trail.

Robert
Thank you for your comments and the information on your site. I recently read an article on the Lycian Way, It looks amazing! Look forward to checking into your other suggestions.

1. Turkey (attraction)
Heidi from Colorado

I believe there are several towns in the Colorado Rockies that might work well for you. 

You might check out Ouray . I also think Crested Butte would be a good bet. Both have lots of trails that are easily accessible from town. I think the Snowmass VillageAspen area would be good too. 

Of course, you'd want to go in the summer if you're looking to hike!  

For great, affordable accommodations in Ouraylook into the Economy Rooms at Ouray Chalet Inn

Good luck! 

Robert
That looks great Heidi! I like the idea of having hot springs after a good days hiking. Have to pick my vacations in a couple of weeks for all of 2016, it always catches me off guard and in need if good ideas. As I drive a lot for my job, a perfect vacation is not having to get behind the wheel of a car.

Heidi
I've written a number of things about Ouray. Perhaps you'll find some of this helpful! http://www.heiditown.com/?s=Ouray

1. Ouray (city)
  2. Crested Butte (city)
  3. Snowmass Village (city)
  4. Aspen (city)
  5. Ouray (city)
  6. Ouray Chalet Inn (hotel)