Robert
Fort Wayne

Where is the perfect hiking base town?

I'm looking for a great town anywhere in the world to use as a base for trekking for several days. You have to be able to get to it via public transport, and be able to start out hiking right form the town. It should also have a hostel or other cheeper accommodation options. I would like to offer as my perfect example the town of El Chalten at the Base of Mt Fitz Roy in Patagonia.

Would REALLY be keen for a recommendation somewhere in Greece but open to all suggestions!

A place like Chamonix is really great when it comes hiking. You are right in the shadow of Mont Blanc and you have dozens of good hiking trails there.

Pokhara in Nepal is another fantastic place to use as a base for some world class hiking.

Antigua Guatemala in Guatemala is also a good spot to do several really nice hikes from.

1. Chamonix (hotel)
  2. Pokhara (attraction)
  3. Antigua Guatemala (city)

Joana from Santo Tirso

You have the mountains of Pyrenees in france. They are huge. You have infinite trails with different points of view. The pyrenees are divised by  Hautes-Pyrénées , Pyrénées-Atlantiques and Pyrénées-Orientales, wich have lots of trails with in mountain with view to the mediterranean sea. The south of france is a nice place to explore. You can found big historical cities, litle farming villages, mountanious landscapes, natural reserves and incredible beaches. It is very easy to move on from a place to another by train, or the easiest way, by bus. Here you have some examples of places to stay and hike around the south of france.

Pyrenees:

Nearest airports:  Toulouse, Bordeaux ( biggest ones )

Pau, Tarbes - Lourdes Pyrenees Airport

From Tarbes you have buses for the villages in pyrenees.

You could stay in Gavarnie
 or Saint-Lary-Soulan too hike in hautes pyrenees, wich is my favourite one and fits perfectly what you are looking for.

Here's a pic of Réserve Naturelle du Néouvielle, near Saint Lary.If you can take a look.

Also, for pyrenees orientales you could stay and start at Bagneres-de-Luchon. Then you have 3 or 4 more big natural reserves in the south of france, but I only was in the Pyrenees. Actually, I live here :). If you want more information about bus schedulles, budgets, cultural curiosities feel free to ask me.

1. Hautes-Pyrénées (metro area)
  2. Pyrénées-Atlantiques (metro area)
  3. Pyrénées-Orientales (metro area)
  4. Toulouse (city)
  5. Bordeaux (city)
  6. Pau (city)
  7. Tarbes - Lourdes Pyrenees Airport (attraction)
  8. Gavarnie (city)
  9. Saint-Lary-Soulan (city)
  10. Réserve Naturelle du Néouvielle (attraction)
  11. Bagneres-de-Luchon (city)

Joana from Santo Tirso

I forgot. The island of Azores.

Sao miguel is the biggest and the popular one. There, you can find one of the 7 woders of Portugal, Lagoa das sete cidades ( 7 cities lagoon ). All the islands are beautifull. You can find a mix of greens and blues with plenty of colorfull flowers. Also, Pico is very known because it is the biggest mountain in the island and the biggest of Portugal, about 2300 m. Like it is a vulcanic island, you will easily find hot water spots to relax. Although I live in France, in the pyrenees, I am portuguese. I am suspicious to talk, but if you are looking for nice food and humble, warm people defenitily go to Portugal. It is one of the cheapest and safest country in europe. Here you have a website with all information about azores :

http://trilhos.visitazores.com/pt-pt/trilhos-dos-acores/pico

1. Azores (island)

Julie from York

Hi Robert

You can walk straight into The Alps from Solden in Austria. Walks are well signed, and accommodation is far cheaper in the summer than in the ski season.

Julie

1. Solden (city)

Heidi from Colorado

I believe there are several towns in the Colorado Rockies that might work well for you. 

You might check out Ouray . I also think Crested Butte would be a good bet. Both have lots of trails that are easily accessible from town. I think the Snowmass VillageAspen area would be good too. 

Of course, you'd want to go in the summer if you're looking to hike!  

For great, affordable accommodations in Ouraylook into the Economy Rooms at Ouray Chalet Inn

Good luck! 

1. Ouray (city)
  2. Crested Butte (city)
  3. Snowmass Village (city)
  4. Aspen (city)
  5. Ouray Chalet Inn (hotel)

Andrey from Honolulu

Anywhere in the world?

I would say O'ahu, HI. I have been living here 4+ years, have done 60 or more hikes on this island alone. and there are tons more I haven't even seen.

Best thing, is that all the hikes are 1-30 minutes away drive :)

You can find hostel-type accommodations, but it won't be as cheap as say, Thailand. Best of luck!

1. O'ahu (island)

Mahsa from Tehran

I recommend you town of Damavand in Tehran province of Iran. just forty-five miles northeast of Tehran, the capital city of Iran, amid Alborz Mountain Ranges that divides the central Iranian plateau from Caspian coast, Mount Damavand, the highest summit in the Middle East, lifts its volcanic cone to a height of more than 5671 m. Throughout the year, the snowy white peak with its regular Lenticular Cap Cloud makes Damavand looks fantastic from far away.

Read more about hiking around Mt Damavand 

Also there you can go mountain biking around Tehran in Lar National Park, a protected area on the foot of Mount Damavand, which enjoys the diversity of the flora and fauna species. 

1. Damavand (city)
  2. Alborz (state)
  3. Lar National Park (attraction)

Jill from Windsor, Connecticut

Obersalzberg is a mountainside area situated above the market town of Berchtesgaden in Bavaria, Germany. There are several hotels and restaurants in the village with hiking trails all around the Austrian Alps. It is located about 120 kilometres (75 mi) southeast of Munich, close to the border with Austria - an easy trip to Salzburg too. Taken in part from Wikipedia.

1. Obersalzberg (attraction)
  2. Bavaria (state)
  3. Munich (city)
  4. Salzburg (city)

Murat from Istanbul

Turkey is a perfect place for hiking different hiking routes. Most famous of them are the Lycian Way, St. Paul Trail, Cappadocia trail and Kackar Mountains trail.

1. Turkey (country)