Kate
Bangkok

Where is the best place in the world to do some soul searching?

I'm in need to do a little soul searching and want to go to the see the world.

Where is the best destination to escape and reconnect with yourself after having your heart broken?

Cheiro

Hello Kate,

Every day is considered new and we have to renew our feelings, thoughts,worries sometimes it remains deep down your heart.Travelling and meeting people would surely decrease the pain .

Try visiting India where there are best places of meditation,rejuvenating with a new feeling.Visit Monasteries in Ladakh , Himachal Pradesh.

Kerala, the place of complete greenery will make you more happy, otherwise known as Gods own country.If on religious side Kerala / Tamil Nadu has lots of Retreat centers where life changing counseling occurs, you will surely walkout confident and Happy.

1. India (country)
  2. Ladakh (attraction)
  3. Himachal Pradesh (state)
  4. Kerala (state)
  5. Tamil Nadu (state)

Katica from Dubrovnik

Go to Medjugorje in Bosnia and Hercegovina if you are in Europe.

It is pilgrimage place visited by many people in search for peace and spirituality.

All the best!

1. Medjugorje (city)

I truly think that's up to you and what your looking for. You need a change of pace and different view, so find a passion and pursue it whether you love food and want to travel Italy savoring the many flavors there or if you want to hike and take on a pilgrimage trail like the one ending at Santiago de Compostela. May be you want to do something positive and work with a volunteer group somewhere in the world doing good? That's another wonderful option that would give you an amazing experience while helping others. I've worked with Medical Teams International, but there are many groups out there where you can travel the world and do good things.

I personally love the balance of peace and vitality of Spain, but I've lived there, so I'm biased. Still, the Mediterranean countries are warm not only in climate, but in the hearts of the people.  You can go, enjoy phenomenal food, hike, experience things, relax, and see wonderful festivals in Portugal, Italy, or Greece as well all the while enjoying the warmth and hospitality of the people.

1. Italy (country)
  2. Santiago de Compostela (city)
  3. Spain (country)
  4. Portugal (country)
  5. Greece (country)

Kristal from San Francisco

Hi Kate,

Are you looking for a huge change of pace because I think any place is what you make it. If you are looking to stay in Asia, Bali is a great place for meditation, finding your center and soul searching. 

If you want a different view, there are many places in Europe, I would highly recommend Croatia, there are over 2000 islands off the coast and any coastal city you go to is absolutely breathtaking. I found it to be much prettier than Italy. 

If you want a change in culture, with great food and vivid colors, India is one of my favorite countries.

If you want to head to the United States, there are many national parks that can put life into perspective and help you see there are things much bigger than ourselves. Yosemite National Park is great for hiking and scenic views. San Francisco is a great city to get lost in, there is so much to do and you don't need a car. Plus, there is good food to make you forget all about a broken heart!

Good luck, I hope you find yourself somewhere great... just take a few deep breaths and even home will start to look a little better.

Have fun,

Kristal

Eat & Escape

1. Bali (island)
  2. Croatia (country)
  3. India (country)
  4. United States (country)
  5. Yosemite National Park (park)
  6. San Francisco (city)

Gerrie

Kaua'i, it the most soulful place I know of.

1. Kaua'i (island)

Colleen from Brooklyn

In the bush in Africa--anywhere from Tanzania to Zambia. There's something about reorienting your life to the natural rhythms of the world around you--wake with the sun, sleep when the afternoon grows too hot, etc.--of remembering your very small place in a very vast and beautiful world, and of stripping life back to its very natural cycles--birth, mating, death--that really helps you to put life into perspective. It also always reawakens my sense of wonder and joy in the world. I never considered myself to be a nature person, but one trip to Tanzania changed all that. And I can't stop going back. 

1. Tanzania (country)
  2. Zambia (country)

Sandy from Los Angeles

Hi Kate - hope you find your path on your way to healing. It's a beautiful journey to overcome pain. I would definitely add Mexico.. either Tulum or Oaxaca. The humble, kindness, and very hospitable feeling of the people is enough to make you feel loved and connected on a deeper level. Tulum and Oaxaca are very spiritual cities as they have spectacular ancient ruins... there are shamans who do help you work on connecting with your soul and healing pain but they don't advertise themselves. Wish you the best.

1. Mexico (country)
  2. Tulum (city)
  3. Oaxaca (city)

Oh Kate,I'm so sorry for your pain but I know your heart will heal. How about an Eat Pray Love approach? Start by doing something that will fill your senses and take you away from the pain. Do you like to eat? Do you enjoy a good wine? What do you do thar gives you great pleasure? If it's eating and drinking go to Italy or Spain first. Go first to a place where there are people around and you can get out of your own head and experience something pleasurable and joyful. For the second part of your trip go somewhere where you can contemplate and have a spiritual journey. Because you are from Bangkok, maybe you want to try someplace with a sweeping peaceful desert or open plains. How about some place in Africa? or possibly India? I have not been to either of those countries so I cannot give you advice on where to go I'm sure that others can help. But I think it's important to frame the kind of trip that you want to have before picking the places you are going to go. I really suggest that you first preoccupy yourself with something that gives you pleasure and that will bring your senses back to life and then go to a place where you can sit calmly with yourself and work through all that you are feeling. Good luck it's going to get better.

1. Italy (country)
  2. Spain (country)
  3. Africa (continent)
  4. India (country)

Leonard from Minneapolis

The most soulful, meditative place I've ever been is in Big Sur, California.  It is a unique vista where sky, mountain and ocean all merge at once. It engages all of your senses and wraps itself around you: the smell of ocean and air, the roar of wind and surf, the tingling feel of ocean spray on the skin, the faint taste of salt air, and the sight of nature's immense grandeur.  One cannot spend a day sitting on the beach or rock and contemplating until the sun descends into the waters, and not come away a different person.

Good luck to you on your healing journey of mind, body and spirit. 

1. Big Sur (city)

Christine from Auckland

Hi Kate, I cannot explain it but one of the most special places I have ever visited where you can spend time is Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley in Peru. It is near to Machu Picchu - which you can visit, but then there are lots of other Incan sites in the valley which are much more low key, and there are great day walks. The local people do not have much but are beautiful, it is relatively cheap to live, and so you can stay as long as you need, and there are lot of other people there on spiritual journeys. if you want an extended stay then you can volunteer there and have a part time job. Surete (good luck) Christine

ps I also love india, but worry that you might be so busy "dealing with it", that you don't have time for yourself. If you want a distraction, then it is certainly the option. I loved it in Darjeeling/Sikkim in the highlands, there is something about pushing your body on high altitude mountain walking that clears the mind.

1. Ollantaytambo (city)
  2. Peru (country)
  3. Machu Picchu (attraction)

Mariellen from Toronto

There is no question: India is the most transformative travel destination in the world. Seekers have been going to India since the dawn of time. "All life is there," as the quote goes.

Travel in India personally changed my life, and I now write a travel blog about India, called Breathedreamgo. In it you will find lots of advice, and articles about staying in yoga ashrams.

Rishikesh is the best place to start, but there are many places in India ideally suited for soul searching including MysuruJaisalmerDharamsala and on and on. The entire country is an ashram, and some have called it the soul of the world.

You will confront all life, yourself, the divine and everything in between. Good luck! 

1. India (country)
  2. Rishikesh (city)
  3. Mysuru (metro area)
  4. Jaisalmer (city)
  5. Dharamsala (city)

Brianna from Brooklyn

Without a doubt India is the most thought-provoking destination in the world. I actually personally guarantee it. 

1. India (country)

Patricia from Petaling Jaya

Hi Kate, depends on a few things: 

- budget

- time you have available 

- your own preference (urban, rural, home stay, etc) 

Personally, it depends if you want to find something familiar but comforting, or immerse yourself completely in a new environment. All the suggestions here are valid, but you will need to ask yourself what it is it that you would find most comfortable for soul-searching. 

If you want plenty of time for meditation and quiet reflection, then the suggestions listed here below sound like a good bet. Otherwise, you could consider immersing yourself in a new culture away from Asia (I am assuming you are a native). 

My tip would be to keep an eye out for places where you can do one of three things (not all at the same time to avoid sensory overload): 

- Quiet, somewhat-religionlike meditation 

- Enjoy day to day life in a quiet town

- Immerse yourself in culture 

I would say AVOID places where they emphasise on romantic love and the like, because your bitterness would might spoil your enjoyment of the views and what they have to offer. 

I wish you all the best and hope the hurt gets lesser. 

You need a place where you can take your time, so a place that is cheap is good. And don't forget to try and stay active physicaly if you are down mentally as this has been proven to be good for your mental state and having been there myself i totally agree with that.

Should I pinpoint one place to go then it would be Antigua Guatemala where you can quite easily chill for a few weeks without spending a lot of money and be in a very inspiring place at the same time.

1. Antigua Guatemala (city)

Bali is like a wonderland for soul searching! Whether it’s healers, meditation, yoga, retreats, cleanses, you name it, you can find it in Bali. One of the most interesting things you can do in Bali is a silent retreat. For the most you’re just completely quiet—no talking to other guests at all. The idea is that you just concentrate on your surroundings (which are basically gorgeous rice fields), read, eat, and practice yoga. If you have a job or a life that requires constant meetings or being on the computer (when you stop talking you also unplug) it’s a great way to just settle your mind.

1. Bali (island)

Christopher from Montreal, Quebec

I have not gone yet, but I head that the Camiño de Santiago is good for that. Watch the movie The Way (2010). Happy travels.

1. Camiño de Santiago (hotel)

Arti from Mumbai

Has to be India

You can try Rishikesh but that can get a bit too touristy at times. There are so many smaller hidden gems in Himachal Pradesh or Uttarakhand.

So many small, quaint villages with picture perfect settings. Just take a break from life in the verdant hills in the company of River Ganga and you will feel rejuvenated!

1. India (country)
  2. Rishikesh (city)
  3. Himachal Pradesh (state)
  4. Uttarakhand (state)

Richard from Cape Town

Hi Kate. It is a tough question. What does soul searching mean to you? Does it entail people or solitude? Ancient sites or nature? Or does it simply mean you want to see the beauty of the world? 

My favourite place for soul searching is here in Cape Town and surrounds. The reason is that this part of the world captures all of the elements I mention above.

In and around Cape Town you will find Table Mountain National Park, one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Just being near the mountain is a spiritual experience. Or you can walk in the Tokai Forest for peace and serenity. You could meditate in the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens or if you feel like some fun and hanging out with people you could see the beautiful city or drink cocktails in Camps Bay. For a slower pace you could head to the wine estates around DurbanvilleStellenboschPaarl and Groot Constantia for a relaxing wine tasting, spa treatments and the like. 

One of the most amazing things to do is horse riding on Melkbosstrandbeach or on the perfect beach at Noordhoek

Up the west coast you can go camping on the shell beaches of Tietiesbaai Rest Camp or Langebaan. Or you can camp in the amazing Cederberg Wilderness Area.

You will find nature, peace, beautiful people and a relaxing atmosphere here. 

1. Cape Town (attraction)
  2. Table Mountain National Park (amusement park)
  3. Tokai Forest (attraction)
  4. Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens (attraction)
  5. Camps Bay (attraction)
  6. Durbanville (attraction)
  7. Stellenbosch (city)
  8. Paarl (city)
  9. Groot Constantia (attraction)
  10. Melkbosstrand (city)
  11. Noordhoek (attraction)
  12. Tietiesbaai Rest Camp (attraction)
  13. Langebaan (city)
  14. Cederberg Wilderness Area (attraction)

Lucy from London

Hi Kate

I would say Bali. It's very, very beautiful and quite cheap once you're there. You can have daily massages, walk on beautiful beaches, see lots of green rice paddies and eat delicious food. The people are friendly and helpful and most guesthouses and hotels welcome solo travellers with open arms.

Hope you find what you need!

1. Bali (island)

So sorry Kate.  You live very near a stunning area:  Siem Reap.  Wandering around all those temples was amazing to me, and really restorative.

If you are looking for beautiful natural beauty, water, lush but not be completely off the grid, look into Kaua'i.  There is nothing about this island that doesn't inspire peace, comfort and amazement.

1. Siem Reap (city)
  2. Kaua'i (island)

Janelle from Charleston

Honestly, the best place is in your own home and among your own family and friends, and with help from a professional if necessary.  Running away to another place and spending a ton of money just to escape your problems may have worked for Julia Roberts' FICTIONAL CHARACTER in "Eat Pray Love," but in REALITY it's never a good thing.  Travel is a great thing if it's done for personal enjoyment or to learn about other cultures and places and broaden one's horizons, but it's not as rewarding if it's done as a means of escape and avoiding one's problems.

Erik from Byron Bay

Hi Kate, sorry to hear about your heart-break, and yes I know how that feels too...  Go somewhere you have not been and where reminders are as limited as possible. The beaches of Byron Bay, Australia; Comer See and its surrounding mountain tracks, Italy; Karimun Jawa island off central Java, Indonesia; Yasawa Island Fiji; or Myanmar....  would be some of the places I'd visit to nurture and heal my heart....  www.travel-share-earn.com ;)

1. Byron Bay (city)
  2. Comer See (city)
  3. Karimun Jawa island (attraction)
  4. Yasawa Island (city)

Amanda from Canmore

Hey Kate!

I think anywhere that isn't home is a great place to some soul searching. It is easiest to find yourself when you are away from your friends, your family and everything that is comfortable to you. When you go somewhere that is unfamiliar and uncomfortable, that is really when you can find your true and authentic self. For me, South America was an amazing place to discover myself, and I also did a lot of soul searching in Bali. 

My boyfriend and I have a travel podcast & blog where we talk a lot about finding ourselves and various travel destinations. Check it out if you're interested: www.theworldwanderers.com

Best of luck :)

Amanda 

Brianna from Brooklyn

India is the best destination to do soul searching. 

1. India (country)

Heidi from Colorado

I find the Oregon Coast to be a restorative place. Any ocean, really, is good for my soul. Best wishes! 

Das

By far that has to be Montana, nothing but space and time

1. Montana (state)

Pawan from Delhi

Rishikesh in India, Lhasa in Tibbet, and Bali.

1. Rishikesh (city)
  2. Lhasa (city)
  3. Bali (island)

Dhyan from Gandhinagar, Gujarat

Best Soul Searching destination is India specially Haridwar, Rishikesh where you can do some soul searching. 

1. India (country)
  2. Haridwar (city)
  3. Rishikesh (city)

Roxanne from Montreal

Soul searching is an inner travel. You can be anywhere for that trip. You won't enjoy the trip if you don't listen to yourself to make your choice. What is your body/soul telling you ? Relax or be active ?  You must take the time to analyse youseft beffor you go away to "find" yourself.

beth from Malibu

In India, got to Rishikesh or the Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple).

1. Rishikesh (city)
  2. Harmandir Sahib (attraction)

Yuksel from Kuşadası

Hi Kate ,

You sould visit Turkey (Istanbul, CappadociaAntalya, Fethiye and Kusadasi) and charming Greek islands ( Santorini, Mykonos). Surely you will forget all your past on these beautiful islands, you will only be remembering good things, other ones will be only in past!

Have a good holiday

1. Turkey (country)
  2. Istanbul (city)
  3. Cappadocia (region)
  4. Antalya (city)
  5. Fethiye (metro area)
  6. Kusadasi (city)
  7. Santorini (island)
  8. Mykonos (city)

Nam from Bangkok

Escaping for a while is one of healing our soul. Time can be the best therapist.

However, escaping is temporary. So don't just away without carefully selecting and planing. Please think ahead what will you do after long journey.

Good luck.

Connemara in the West of Ireland is really beautiful, remote and serene. 

1. Connemara (city)
  2. Ireland (country)