Susyn
Fort Lauderdale

Where in the world are your favorite annual Christmas markets?

Where, anywhere in the world, are your favorite annual Christmas markets located, and why are they so great?

Joel from Lincoln (England)

For something unique and in the UK, the Lincoln (England) Christmas Market is amazing. It's set around the Cathedral Quarter and goes in and out of the medieval ruins and streets as well as through the grounds of Lincoln Castle.

It began with an authentic German market in the 80s but has grown ever since into something on its own. So plenty of gluhwein and also plenty of Lincolnshire sausages to try too!

The carol concert during the market at Lincoln Cathedral is something special too.

1. Lincoln (England) (city)
  2. Lincoln Castle (attraction)
  3. Lincoln Cathedral (attraction)

Cherie from Bay Area

I loved the Christmas market in Prague! We actually arrived right after Christmas and were still able to enjoy the festivities, with the main market held in the Staroměstské náměstí, but still lots of holiday booths all the way to Wenceslas Square. There was an abundance of food booths and plenty of spiced mulled wine to stay warm! 

1. Prague (city)
  2. Staroměstské náměstí (attraction)
  3. Wenceslas Square (attraction)

Jenna from Oakville, Ontario

Eeeeep! I love this question! 
I am currently living in Freiburg im Breisgau and have FAR too much fun during the Christmas holidays! 

Strasbourg and Nuremberg definitely rank among the best in the world! :D 

PS. I have a little Christmas surprise on my blog starting December 1st so be sure to check it out if you're into the Christmas spirit! www.giveforgranted.com 

Best, 

Jenna 

1. Freiburg im Breisgau (city)
  2. Strasbourg (city)
  3. Nuremberg (attraction)

Travis from Kamloops

The Nuremberg Christkindlesmarkt ranks up there as one of our absolute favourites. It has been running for centuries in the same place and is a wonderful experience. All of Bavaria really gets into the Christmas spirit, and I think most of our favourites were here (some of the markets in smaller cities like Bamberg and Regensburg are the best for really authentic crafts). 

We also really loved the market at the Rathaus in Vienna. The setting is amazing and everyone was friendly and helpful. It also had some of the best food we've had. 

1. Bamberg (city)
  2. Regensburg (city)
  3. Rathaus (attraction)
  4. Vienna (city)
  5. Nuremberg (attraction)

Sarah from Los Angeles

Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin was amazing! Gluhwein, treats, shopping, carols, and beautiful lights...

1. Gendarmenmarkt (attraction)

Moderna

Budapest have a realy lovely christmas market. Small but very nice, with lot of local food.

1. Budapest (city)

Ben from London

Tight call between the Christmas markets at Rathausplatz in Vienna and Marienplatz in Munich!

Either way, has to be central Europe :)

1. Rathausplatz (attraction)
  2. Marienplatz (attraction)

Ben from London

The Rathaus in Vienna is in my opinion the best Christmas market I've been too!  I was lucky enough to tour a few for work and this one stood above them all! There was a lot of hype about the market in Dresden but for me the two in Berlin were better along with the one at Marienplatz in Munich.

If I had to go for top two. it would be Munich and Vienna.  Either way, if you want the best ones, you cannot go wrong with Central/Eastern Europe!

1. Rathaus (attraction)
  2. Vienna (city)
  3. Dresden (city)
  4. Berlin (city)
  5. Marienplatz (attraction)

I personally don't like christmas but I travel a lot around the world and of all the places I have been to over the past 26 years Funchal probably has the best christmas celebrations I have seen. they manage to really do it big time without becoming a tacky comercial circus.

1. Funchal (city)