Ken
Redondo Beach

Where can I get the best glaciers experience?

I have read about a place called "Explora" that looks like a good way to experience the glaciers and area.  However, it is out of my price range. Any other great glaciers and boutique accommodations that are not so expensive?

Thank you!!

I've been on glaciers in New Zealand and Iceland. And I by a long shot give NZ's Franz Josef Glacier the edge over Iceland's glacier tours - I was on Falljokull. Franz Josef was more physically challenging and takes you through the folds and ridges.

The New Zealand guides are less risk-averse, too (my Icelandic guides were astounded that I went on Franz Josef - they think it's too dangerous). We didn't get to go up into the cool upper area that you see in the photo below.  

1. Franz Josef Glacier (attraction)
  2. Falljokull (attraction)

Pamela from New Canaan, Connecticut

Go to Iceland!  Flights to Reykjavik are usually reasonable on Icelandair, and there are many tour companies that will take you, via 4X4, right onto the glaciers.  Read about my Christmas day experience on Langjökull ...not for the faint of heart, but an unforgettable and magnificent adventure!  

1. Iceland (country)
  2. Reykjavik (city)
  3. Langjökull (attraction)

A friend of mine did glacier trekking with Mica Guides in Alaska and loved it. She posted some phenomenal photos, so it's now on my list of things to do. She had only good things to say about it and there are several options, so you can make it what you need as far as the experience and affordability.

If you love to ski, you can ski the glacier at Timberline Lodge all summer long. :)

1. Alaska (state)
  2. Timberline Lodge (attraction)

Alyasia from Mexico

Athabasca Glacier
Hidden within the rugged landscape of the world-famous Canadian Rockies is the magnificent Athabasca Glacier. The glacier spreads across Jasper National Parkstretching into the Icefields Pkwy, one of the most scenic highways in the world. The more adventurous ones can indulge in a full day tour exploring the vastness of this icy landscape. Icewalks are operational between May up to October.

1. Athabasca Glacier (attraction)
  2. Jasper National Park (park)
  3. Icefields Pkwy (attraction)

Robert from Las Vegas

Chilean Patagonia, Torres del Paine Great glacier, and many more. Can't go wrong with glaciers in Chile

1. Torres del Paine (city)
  2. Chile (country)

Stef from Germany

I've been to the Fox Glacier in New Zealand which was impressive. You are able to do half day or full day hikes or go further up the glaciar by helicopter.

Another great place to see glaciars is El Calafate in Patagonia (Argentina) with Glaciar Perito Moreno as the biggest one. There are small ones you can see by doing a boat trip and you can do hiking trips there as well. 

1. Fox Glacier (city)
  2. New Zealand (country)
  3. El Calafate (city)
  4. Patagonia (Argentina) (metro area)
  5. Glaciar Perito Moreno (attraction)

Matt from Allentown, Pennsylvania

I just got back from Alaska. While there we did a 26-glacier day cruise out of Whittier. (The cruise really got you up close to only 4 of them). Also, a day cruise of Kenai Fjords National Park, leaving from Seward – saw two glaciers up close on that tour. The only hands-on experience was a visit to Exit Glacier outside of Seward. These were not excursions where you hike or climb the glaciers or enter into ice caves, but there are plenty of tours throughout Alaska where you can do that. Plus there is so much else to see and do in the state – I can't recommend it enough and I can't wait to go back.

1. Whittier (city)
  2. Kenai Fjords (park)
  3. Seward (city)
  4. Exit Glacier (attraction)

Brian

From Glacier National Park East Entrance to Jasper Park is breathtaking and gets more inspiring the more North you drive.

1. Jasper Park (attraction)
  2. Glacier National Park East Entrance (attraction)

Anna-Fee from Freiburg im Breisgau

I've been on Franz Josef Glacier and on Fox Glacier in New Zealand. And, like Justin, I would also recommend Franz Josef more than the other one if you wanna be ON the glacier. (Fox Glacier is good, if you just wanna have a look at a glacier because you can get much closer by foot compared to Franz Josef). I booked a "heli hike" in Franz Josef so I flew to the glacier in a helicopter and walked on the glacier with a guided group. It was breathtaking. Blue ice, spectacular ice formations (we sometimes were allowed to walk/crawl/squeeze through) and you could see the ocean. (The first three pictures are Franz Josef, the last one is Fox). 

1. Franz Josef Glacier (attraction)
  2. Fox Glacier (city)

Jüri from Tallinn, Estonia

1. South Island (region)