Ashley
Calgary

What's your favorite product from abroad that you can't find at home?

Just wondering if any of you have a specific product that you may have had to buy or tried abroad that you loved and can't get it at home?

I got the best lip balm ever from Germany and it just reached the end of it's life and I'm quite sad (as a Canadian living in a very dry and often freezing cold climate a quality lip balm goes a long way). I tried ordering it online, but shipping costs are atrocious.  Guess it gives us incentive to go back?! 

Ragan from Nebraska

I second the lip balm! I found  lobello in Germany and have babied it..it's just at the point where your trying to get the very last out of the bottom! :) but I also bring home loads of the brown sugar cubes! We can not find them here! The cubes, the rock style ones..even found some that are in the shapes of the zodiac! Love the Lidol stores in Germany and the monoprix in France! 

Ross from Fort Collins

Bread and butter from Ireland and crisps!!!!

Sarah from Milwaukee

My partner likes a very specific type of Korean/Japanese candy - Mi Chew. It's found everywhere in South Korea. We can find the very similar Hi Chew brand most places in the States, but it's just not the exact same. 

We tried to bring back some spicyish red sauce with a mountain on its label back with us from Cambodia last year...but then my partner the whole thing on some french fries within one meal right before we left. We still look for that brand without luck but hoping I might find it when we go to Vietnam shortly. 

And lastly, I have been known to trek to & through Paris to get more of my signature perfume I've had since my first trip abroad. There's a chance I could get it online...but I'd rather not. 

1. South Korea (country)
  2. Cambodia (country)

Scott from Fort Collins

Kind of silly, but I seek out snacks I can't find back home.  It usually ends up being some sort of potato chip type snack.  My wife and I will always check out a few markets, or grocery stores, to see what is interesting and unique to that particular culture.  We always seek out Cuban rum too since we can't get it in the United States.  Yes, we occasionally do a "no no" by bringing in Cuban Rum.  Oops!

Sandra from McMinnville (Oregon)

This is gonna sound really odd, and for some might be TMI. But I had a surprise monthly cycle while vacationing in Germany and was completely unprepared. So I had to buy some supplies, and they did not have my normal preference, so I had to just buy what there was. Well, O.B makes a certain style of tampons that aren't available in the US. I kind of miss them. 

Pilsner Urquell in Prague.....not the same when I enthusiastically bought an 18 pack upon my return to the states.

1. Prague (city)

Warren from Michigan

I'll keep this short and sweet, and say I like things from other states that I can't get here, like Big Red Soda. And Cheerwine.

Paprika Pringles!  We fell in love with them in Greece.  They are sort of like BBQ, but better!

I remember my mom's husband eating them as a snack one time when they were staying with us on a visit.  I completely freaked out.

1. Greece (country)

Ben from London

I've looked high and wide for the Italian 'Pocket Coffee' chocolate snack in the United Kingdom but can't find any!! Love that stuff!!

1. United Kingdom (country)

Hanela from London

I can't seem to find the right type of maple syrup here in London, so I ask family/friends to bring me some. I completely understand, you get hooked on one foreign products and that's all you ever want. 

Jeffrey from Los Angeles

Chocolate to me is always so different from place to place.  

But also Guinness in Ireland is definitely better then in the U.S.  I can get Guinness here but it's just not the same. 

1. Ireland (country)

Kax from Barcelona

These chocolates called Turo Rudi which I got from Budapest. Our AirBnB host gave them to us as part of our welcome gift. They were wonderful and can be bought in any convenience store. Couldn't find them anywhere else after. But man, I'd love to have some again. 

Ashley--I think I know the lip balm you're talking about! Is it this: http://www.labello.com?

There's a store near my house that carries it--it's amazing! If you're going insane for some I'd be happy to send a few tubes! Just let me know! 

I love this question--there's a store in Paris called Picard which is an all-frozen foods store and they have incredible escargot. 

I also miss these blinis and dip they sell at Monoprix

http://courses.monoprix.fr/RIDE/Blinis-1684339 

http://courses.monoprix.fr/RIDE/Tarama-1786193

I also miss this stuff:

http://www.ldapapeterie.fr/plastique-cristal-incolore-0-45-x-10-m-avec-80-coins-adhesifs-le-bon-eleve--gp7842.aspx

It's a roll of plastic cover you use to cover books. It's meant for schoolbooks but I put it on all my good coffee table books. I stock up on it whenever I'm there!

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Japanese fashion/home magazines. You can get them in the states but they're VERY expensive and I only know of one store that carries them--it's called Kinokuniya Bookstore. I could spend hours there. 

2. Monoprix (attraction)
  3. Kinokuniya Bookstore (attraction)
  4. Picard (attraction)

SC from Petaling Jaya

As ridiculous as it sounds: Dove solid deodorant/antiperspirant. Can't find it here AT ALL (it might've been discontinued?) and there's not a lot of it left in Singapore the last time I went. Guess I'll have to try the other ASEAN countries.

1. Singapore (country)

Roxanne from Montreal

Got stock in London's Heathrow Airport airport many years ago. The airline placed us at the airport's hotel (5🌟). The facial cream in the bathroom was the best I ever got.  Never heard of the brand then or since.  I guest I have to go back...

1. Heathrow Airport (attraction)

Marina from Riga, Latvia

Black rice desert, common in Thailand :)

1. Thailand (country)

Whenever I am in Vietnam i always bring home some lotus tea which can be very hard to find in my native Denmark.

I am lucky enough to go there 5-6 time s ayear so I am well stocked with tea :)

1. Vietnam (country)
  2. Denmark (country)

Gordon from Ojai

One of my favorite snacks is found in Japan. Its a very simple sour/sweet candy called Puré. It looks like you can find them online now (http://www.jbox.com/product/KNS842), but there was a time when they were very hard to find; I still can't find them in any of the asian markets in LA. I just returned from a trip to Tokyo and one of the few things I brought back was about 10-15 packs of Puré. 

1. Japan (country)
  2. Tokyo (city)

Joanna from Oakland

- lip balm/ vaseline containers from U.K. drugstores (thankfully, they're only £1 and my friends don't mind mailing them to me) 

- jackfruit (Asian fruit; get in certain places in the US, but it's pricier)

Laura from Honolulu

Shrimp Cocktail crisps (chips) from the UK.  I'm DYING without them!