Tony Wright

Seattle, Washington

What's your best travel hack?

My wife and I traveled for 10 months and amassed a pile of little clever hacks around everything from booking tickets/hotels, researching a destination, getting to know the locals, finding the best food, navigating in strange cities and more...  But I'm sure there are travelers out there who have clever hacks that we never stumbled onto.  I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

• Benedict Leung

Here are just a few:

Airline Planning / Booking:

Hidden City Booking: Sometimes ABC - DEF is $500, but ABC - DEF - GHI is $100. Book the ABC - DEF - GHI flight, but conveniently "miss" your GHI flight.

Fuel Dumping: Adding a tag on flight that "dumps" the fuel on your ticket. Savings significant if fuel (YQ) is high. (Eg. $300 off a US - EU Flight)

Hotel Planning / Booking:

IHG Friends & Family for Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, and Holiday Inn Hotles: 15% off advance purchase off any IHG branded hotel (Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, etc). Don't necessarily have to be "Friends nor Family" of IHG employee.

Better Bidding for Priceline / Hotwire: Better Bidding has most major U.S. cities' hotels unmasked given amenities displayed on Hotwire.

On the Ground:

Leftover Currency: Have leftover currency, find a Starbucks, and put it on your card. No FX fees charged.

Phoning Abroad: Find an unlocked phone, use One Sim Card in, and use a call back number which calls you back. Because of unlimited incoming, you'll get dirt cheap int'l calls.

Here are just some that might be useful, willing to add a bunch more!

Update:

Question from Rudy A. : For hidden city bookings, I assume you are booking one way tickets?

Answer: Yes, that is correct. For hidden city bookings, you would want to make sure that it is (i) One Way and that there is (ii) No Checked Luggage.

(i) One Way: Missing the last segment of your itinerary automatically invalidates all unflown segments. Let's say you booked ABC - DEF - GHI - JKL. Let's say that you "miss" your DEF - GHI flight. When you no show DEF - GHI, the GHI - JKL segments gets invalidated as well.

(ii) No Checked Luggage: If you check luggage, your luggage will be checked to your final destination. So if your flights are ABC - DEF - GHI, your luggage will be checked to GHI. So, don't check luggage.

Please see further notes at the bottom for more details. Here's a case study so that everyone's on the same page.

Case Study: Let's say that I am currently in Raleigh Durham and want to visit my friend Chase during Christmas in Philly. I search online and want to book the following flight:General Trippy MediaAs you can see, it's a bit expensive, pricing out at approximately $364on US Airways Flt 5747 leaving at 7:00am and arriving at 8:27am onSunday, December 21st. I do a little digging and find the following flight to Washington, D.C.:

General Trippy MediaAs you can see, there are two flights, the first, the exact same flight as above, US Airways Flt 5747 from RDU to PHL leaving at 7:00am and arriving at 8:27am on Sunday, December 21st. There is an additional flight on US Airways Flt 5834 from PHL to DCA leaving at 11:35am and arriving at 12:35pm. The total cost for the following flights is $112.60.

Hidden City Nets 70% / $252 in Savings: Booking the second itinerary to Washington, D.C. through Philly nets a savings of approximately $252 / 70% off the $364 given that you are only paying $112.

----------------------

Further Notes: (i) Airlines Do Not Like Hidden City: Airlines do not like it when passengers book this since this represents loss substantial revenue to them. I wouldn't be doing this on a constant basis since they may start noticing patterns of you "accidentally" missing flights and may take action against you since this may technically break their terms and conditions. (ii) Watch Out for IRROPS / Irregular Operations: During irregular operations such as a snowstorm, your flight may get canceled. You might be re-routed, and put on a direct flight or a flight that does not stop in Philly, for example. You would want to make sure that you have a good story to back up that of why you need to connect in Philly. (Eg. I am meeting Aunt Sally at the airport to drop off my Xmas Present to Little Cousin Nick before heading off to D.C).

Hope this helps everyone! Happy traveling!

• Tony W.

Tony W.

The starbucks thing is BRILLIANT. · (1 likelikes)

• Jillian G.

Jillian G.

Love the Starbucks tip! · (0 likelikes)

• Rudy A.

Rudy A.

For Hidden City Booking, I assume you are booking one way tickets? · (0 likelikes)

Awesome answer, Benedict. I love all of these! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I wanted to let you know that we helped you consolidate your update into your answer so that all your details, comments, and votes are in one place! In the future, you can just hit the "edit" button above your answer :) · (2 likelikes)

• Z H.

Z H.

Thanks for these! What do you mean by "Adding a tag on flight that "dumps" the fuel on your ticket"? Also I'm not sure I get the Starbucks tip - are you saying that Starbucks will take your change and credit your credit card - really? · (0 likelikes)

• Jeff S.

Jeff S.

Nice tips - please 'splain more on the fuel dumping and IHG tricks - how do they work? · (2 likelikes)

• Tony A.

Tony A.

I think you need to clarify to the readers that you are actually paying US Airways for a RDU to DCA fare. And if PHL airport happens to close or suffer from ground delay, USAir can simply reroute you. In fact there are 6 nonstops from RDU to DCA and many connecting flights via Charlotte and La Guardia. USAir can legally reroute you to any one of these flights. · (0 likelikes)

• JR J.

JR J.

I'd love a little more detail on the "fuel dumping" and how to take advantage of that. Also, how do you get the Friends and Family at IHG properties... is there a code for online booking? thanks Benedict!! · (0 likelikes)

• Tereza V.

Tereza V.

OMG! This is really the best travel hack I've ever heard about! Thanks a lot! Especially for your detailed answer · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Benedict a Thank You Note