Breanna

Breanna from Los Angeles asked

What's the weirdest food you've ever eaten abroad?

I'm always looking for weird foods when I travel - from iguana and ostrich tartar to crickets and ants, I'd like to think I've tried it all, but I haven't! So, what else is out there? What things did you try while traveling that you'd never try at home?! Would you eat it again?

jared from Ashland (Oregon)

Sea Worms harvested on a full moon in Western Samoa.  Served spread on white bread toast!  The worms are flourescent blue and spread like a paste similar to Marmite! 

Breanna
Wait, wait, wait...so it's a florescent blue worm paste? AWESOME.

Jennifer from Hoi An

Hehe in Vietnam, local people love this one, but foreigners will not like it- Balut egg

Todd
There's a restaurant in New York that serves Balut. Tastes better than it looks

Greg from Chengdu

Roasted grasshoppers in Oaxaca, Mexico.    Tasty but salty.   

Breanna
You just have to double check you don't leave with any legs in your teeth haha :)

Becka Squid!

Nardine from Tamworth (England)

In England, Black pudding which is made from pigs blood. I used to work in a deli when I was still in high school and the old fella's used to buy "half a ring with plenty of white bits) the white bits being fat.

Haggis, as mentioned, people love it! To me it's just offal & oats stuffed into more offal.

The weirdest I've tried pales in comparison to others but I had two dough items in Ghana, banku & fufu..... I forget which is which but one is fermented dough, they're served with soups or stews and the idea is to pull a piece off, form it into a spoon and use it to ladel up the soup.

I did enjoy however jollof rice and fried guniea fowl with Guinness malt to wash it down with

Flemming from Oslo

I'm trying to think of local cuisine that might seem weird to you... Fried cod tongues?

Breanna
Are they small? I bet they're delicious! Tongue done right is the best.

Janice from Norfolk

chocolate covered ants and fried caterpillars.....first just tasted chocolate, and second were pure grease

Steve from San Rafael

In Kake Alaska at a school fundraiser I had home-canned pickled gumboot, (gumboot chiton,) a large, tough tidepool mollusk. Named after the L L Bean footwear, and about as tender.

In Beijing in the evenings there are pop-up food wagons on a street whose name escapes me.  At one of those carts I enjoyed starfish on a stick, consisting of a full arm and portion of the central body of a sea star.  Crunchy on the outside, creamy, and slightly pungent on the inside.

Breanna
Starfish is a new one! I'm curious about it now. Have to make my way to Beijing!

1. Kake (city)
  2. Beijing (city)
Todd from Phoenix

Whenever I travel my wife and I search out the weirdest things to eat like yourself. Weirdest I've had would either be a smilely (sheeps face) in South Africa or eating horumon in Japan. We found a restaurant there and had the strangest parts of a pig. The brain, cartilage, ovaries, septum, anus among other things. Most tasted great except the cartilage was a bit chewy

Breanna
Ahhh yes, cartilage is always the hardest for me to eat too!

Janelle
Pig anus? We have a winner!

Micheline from Gatineau

iguana in Venezuela and crocodile in Cuba. It was tasty though.

Todd
I had iguana in Curaçao. Really tasty but it was hard getting past the bones

Terry from Honaunau, Hawaii

Remember to one person it is strange but to another is is a delicacy! I've tried Guinea pig in Bolivia. Pigs ear in Thailand. Chicken feet in Hong Kong. Raw liver in Hawaii. Would I eat it again? I'd prefer not to.

Pig's Blood which they turn into jelly. A delicacy from China, it was served to me but never tried.https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Pig_blood_curd. And no I will never eat that again. 

Radhina from Dubai

Snow frog - it's the fat from the ovaries of a frog that is about to hibernate and a delicacy in East Asia. It is sometimes more clearly identified as frog oviduct. I ate it unknowingly in Taiwan and it was pretty strange - looked and tasted like sweet gelatin. I'm not sure if I would have eaten it if I had known what it was at the time!

Raw goat liver in Lebanon - it tastes exactly like what it is and I was not a fan. It is however, considered a local delicacy and often eaten with a cube of raw goat fat

Guinea pig in Peru was a much tastier weird food experiment :)

http://www.platetrotter.com/blog/this-little-piggy-went-into-the-oven

Breanna
Ok, Snow Frog is a completely new thing to me! I love how adventurous (knowingly and unknowingly!!!) you are!

Ruth from Utah

Black sea cucumbers - we went to China and they brought out a bowl of black soup with sea cucumbers floating in it. I gave it a try, and it was slimy and black - what more can I say - didn't taste any better than it looked, but is considered a delicacy there.

Breanna
You are MUCH braver than me :)

Asgar from Port of Spain

I remember being at a dinner party years ago and present was the then Food Editor of the LA Times and his dear wife.  He was asked a similar question by one of our fellow guests, but his wife answered quickly: " Darling,  it was definitely the Snake Eye Soup".  Seems that this was a rare delicacy made from snake eyes.  His wife recollected they were fine, until she saw the snake eyes floating in the broth.

There is also the story related by comedian Rich Little who told of the Living Fish dish served at a banquet at China's Great Hall of the People.  The fish is gashed, just deep enough on both sides and then held in the pot by the head with a cloth, cooked sufficiently to eat, remained alive during that process, until served, and would be on your plate sputtering.

Rich continued:  The moralists at the banquet were aghast that a fish, still living was being served to be eaten.  But he reminded: Fishes have no compunction in eating a live human.

Breanna
It sounds like such a cruel thing to do to the fish! And yet I still want to try it :)

Radhina
I have seen this being prepared and served on TV. Definitely strange!

Janelle from Charleston

The weirdest was probably hakarl, putrified shark from Iceland.  The meat comes from a species of shark that is poisonous when fresh because of high levels of ammonia in its tissue, so the only way to make it edible is to bury the filets under gravel for at least three months to leach out the toxins, then hang-dry it for another 4-6 weeks.  The end product still has a strong ammonia smell, but a nutty and slightly fishy flavour, sort of like Jewish deli whitefish.  Many people are sickened by the smell, but if you can manage to get past the smell the taste is actually quite good.

Justin
It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Gefilte fish is far worse.

1. Iceland (country)
Rasto from Edmonton

Giant roasted ants (Hormigas Culonas Santandereanas) in Bucaramanga, Colombia. They are harvested during rainy season and then soaked in salty water and roasted. Delicious!

Breanna
Dang! They're huge! I bet they're salty and crunchy and amazing!

1. Bucaramanga (city)
Dylan from Seattle

In Belize, live termites out of termite mound in jungle

In Columbia, (amazon jungle excursion), grilled amazon frog

In Peru, Guinea pig

In Australia, kangaroo

In Vietnam, live beating snake heart

In Laos, duran fruit

In Cambodia, "happy" pizza (loaded with drugs of who knows what), also

In Thailand, grilled chicken liver and heart, bugs

In Scotland, haggis, blood sausage

Also some weird shit in America, some accidentally like ants, also ludifisk and etc 

The only thing I wouldn't eat again is Guinea pig, haggis, and ludifisk

Breanna
LIVE BEATING SNAKE HEART?!? This sounds gnarly and I HAVE to try it.

Flemming
Ah, but lutefisk is delicious!!