Tony
Seattle

What's the steepest place you've ever been?

I was recently in Bangkok and I got to climb down the super-steep stairs of Wat Arun. What is the steepest place you've ever been to in your travels? Was it scary, and would you do it again? Could be anything from stairs, mountains, roads, etc. Straight up/down doesn't count, mountaineers!

Nalin from Cypress

What an interesting question? Being a snowboarder, I've been to a handful of places that one may consider steep. But the one that stands out in my book is World's End Point, Horton Plains Nature Reserve. It is a sheer cliff, which about 4000 ft drop that gives fabulous view of greenish covered mountains, tea estates and coastal area.

• Was it scary? Hell yeah :). There was no fence at top. And you need to be very careful not to slip your feet, and pay attention to the wind.
  • Would you do it again? Yes I would. I like the scenery at top. 

I'd recommend heading up there early morning before mist closes at World's End. You could also visit the Baker's falls

It's located at Horton Plains Nature Reserve which is a key wildlife area of open grassy woodland.

1. World's End Point, Horton Plains Nature Reserve (attraction)
  2. Baker's falls (attraction)
  3. Horton Plains Nature Reserve (attraction)

Anne from Lafayette (California)

Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro Unforgettable full moon for the climb, then blazing sunrise just as we reached the top.

1. Mount Kilimanjaro (attraction)

JR from Manhattan Beach

In 1991, I took a small bus from Bagdogra to Darjeeling. The road was treacherous. It was terrifying. Images don't do it justice. 

1. Bagdogra (city)
  2. Darjeeling (city)

Halley from Boulder

Thanks to snowboarding, I find myself on top of the world quite regularly.

Every winter, we go riding at Aspen Snowmass and lap the Highland Bowl. We hiked its long, narrow path to the summit which tops out at 12,392 ft. I put together a segment for The Weather Channel about our experience. Click here to watch.

The crew hiking the Highland Bowl

Photo of Highland Bowl shot from ski patrol deck Aspen Highlands Village, Aspen, CO - Jan. 2013

1. Aspen Highlands Village (attraction)

Mathieu from Los Angeles

La Dune Du PylaMagnificient and huge dune of sand on the atlantic ocean front of France. Falls into a huge bay where waterskiing is the most boring thing you can do there.

Also walking all the way up then running all the way down while making 4 or 5 meters-long jumps will make your day.

1. La Dune Du Pyla (attraction)

It was going down a mountainside in Nepal when I tried to make a short cup while trekking in Nepal.

I was trekking alone without a guide which is not really the best thing to do but I felt like havuing some alone time and for 7 hours I was walking and mostly sliding down a mountainside with some pretty dense vegetation.

In 7 hours i only met people twice.

The first were the 3 kids you see on this photo who were on the way back from school and the other person was a young man who made me kinda worried as the first thing he did when he saw me was pull out a machete looking knife from his daypack, but when he went over to the nearest tree and used it to cut me a nice big walking stick then I relaxed :) 

My legs were sore for 7 days after that walk which was really more of a slideshow as it was so bloody steep.

Katy from Des Plaines

The first thing that came into my head was Machu Picchu or some other Inca ruin in Peru; then I remembered that I once visited the Mayan ruin of Uxmal . Uxmal My boyfriend and I climbed up the pyramid which seemed nearly vertical, as if we were scrambling up a wall. Once up on top, we had a beautiful view and we explored the temple up there. When it was time to descend, I looked down and said, "No way - I am not going to climb down this pyramid!" Visions of actually never leaving that spot flashed through my head, an absurd idea, of course. There was a chain down one side of the steep steps (in lieu of a railing), and the only way to go down was placing one foot behind the other, twisting around half way to see the next step down, and holding onto that chain for dear life!! My boyfriend of course had to take a picture of me from below - a very uncomplimentary angle! Reaching the bottom, I was greatly relieved, and since then I have always assessed the grade of a set of stairs climbing up any ancient ruin or edifice prior to attempting to climb it, to make sure it would be doable to come back down again!

1. Uxmal (city)

Valerie from Los Angeles

A few years ago, I hiked up to the Sierra Buttes Fire Lookout in Northern California.It's hard to see from this picture but this is the lake my family and I fish at, and at the peak of the mountain right there, there is a fire lookout that looks over a large part of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Yeah. I hiked up THAT. A friggin peak of a mountain. Terrifying, but worth it when I made it to the lookout.

Heres a picture of the stairs to get up to the lookout

1. Sierra Buttes Fire Lookout (attraction)

Michelle from Melbourne

In terms of cities, I'd have to say Wellington - some scenic, flat spots to walk around by the harbour (with some decent cafes) but then it's steep all round - especially some of the 'back alley' stairs you can take if you don't want to take the longer walks.

1. Wellington (city)

Valerie from Seattle

I would definitely have to say hiking in Denali National Park! I was out for a hike north of Denali, and ended up on a very steep slope of shale--it was sliding out from under me and I remember being very worried that I was going to fall and my swim coach would be mad at me!

Luckily I lived with life and limb and am here to tell the tale! The cautionary tale!

1. Denali National Park (park)
  2. Denali (metro area)

Chris from Manhattan Beach

Steepest places I have ever been....

On foot was Dick's Pass in the Desolation Wilderness on the West side of Lake Tahoe.  You can enter in at Emerald Bay and hike about 6 miles west.  Base camp at Fontanillis Lake or Dick's Lake or Lake Aloha.  On the way down there are a few sketchy steps where you just don't want to mess up.  For an expert, no big deal.  I wasn't an expert.

On a snowboard the steepest was in a bad situation I got myself into 100 feet West of Fingers cliff band which is just under the KT-22 chair lift at Squaw Valley.  I was spread eagle hanging on to the mountain so I didn't slip down the cliff, I needed to get over another 100 feet.   Finally I just had to jump.  That was the closest to death I have ever felt.  What a rush!  Kind of like paddling with great whites in Manhattan Beach.

1. Dick's Pass (attraction)
  2. Desolation Wilderness (attraction)
  3. Lake Tahoe (attraction)
  4. Emerald Bay (attraction)
  5. Fontanillis Lake (attraction)
  6. Lake Aloha (attraction)
  7. Fingers (attraction)
  8. KT-22 (attraction)
  9. Squaw Valley (attraction)
  10. Manhattan Beach (city)

Milcah from Nairobi

Mt Longonot it was hard but we manage to go up to the top..it was a good experience.

1. Mt Longonot (attraction)

Joel from Lincoln (England)

Something a bit different is Lincoln (England)'s Steep Hill.

It lives up to its name and is quite infamous for visitors and residents alike! Right from the city centre Lincoln has an incline on the main High Street leading up to Lincoln Cathedral, built at the top of the hill and looking over the area (you can see it from miles around!).

As you make your way up the hill you'll pass medieval buildings, quaint tea rooms, vintage boutiques, antique dealers and more. The view when you get to the top is something to behold so it's definitely worth the effort!

1. Lincoln (England) (city)
  2. Steep Hill (attraction)
  3. Lincoln Cathedral (attraction)

Clifford from Kenya

Myself, would say Mt Kenya. I loved it though. It was a hard one more so after doing some rock-climbing. 

1. Mt Kenya (attraction)

Chris

San Francisco, Lombard Street! Walked all the way from Union Square to San Francisco Chinatown. A fun walk!

1. Lombard Street (attraction)
  2. Union Square (attraction)
  3. San Francisco Chinatown (attraction)

Stefan from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Maybe Angels Landing hike, Zion National Park or the hike up Putucusi Mountain in Aguas Calientes. It's a bit dicey climbing up the wooden ladder when everything is wet! If that doesn't get you, some of the cliff edges go straight down the mountain!

1. Zion National Park (park)
  2. Aguas Calientes (attraction)

Ruth from Saskatchewan

Toronto's CN Tower, and years ago, a cable car up the side of a mountain at Jasper, Alberta.  Hated every minute of both experiences!  My acrophobia just won't let me enjoy the wonderful views provided by such places!

P.S  The Waimea Canyon on the Island of Kauai, Hawaii, is fabulously beautiful, but I couldn't go close to the railing on the lookout to get the best view.

1. CN Tower (attraction)
  2. Jasper (city)
  3. Waimea Canyon (attraction)

Nathaniel from Boston

I paid a man to walk me out on the edge of Victoria Falls on the Zambian side. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I found myself handing him my Canon DSLR as I stood on the edge of the falls, looking down at a 100 meter drop. He smiled and told me step toward the edge. I hesitated, took a step, looked over my shoulder at a rainbow beneath me, and felt something - a tremble of sorts, in my chest. I immediately sat, and said, "I think we'll do this sitting!" He laughed at me and took my picture. I'm not afraid of heights. I've been skydiving. Thousands have taken this same picture. This wasn't even the highest point I've looked down from, but there was something about this moment that scared me. I can't completely explain it. I can still feel it.

The man handed my camera to me and we walked back to the forest paths that led to the riverbed. I paid him and he waved as I wandered back to my family.

1. Victoria Falls (attraction)

Nora

Lausanne! It's a stunning climb from the train station that drops you off at the base of the city along Lake Geneva. The climb is very intense but there will be plenty of places to stop along the way. Make sure to keep on pushing through to make it up to Cathedrale de Lausanne.

1. Lausanne (city)

Lekshmi

Huayna Picchu

it was scary but so exciting!

1. Huayna Picchu (attraction)

Paul from Washington, DC

If you're ever on O'ahu, make moves to Stairway to Heaven aka the Haiku Stairs.  Access to and use of the stairs are shrouded in legal fog (at least it was when I was there) but nevertheless, some spots along the path have you looking straight down onto the valley below.  Super steep!

-Paul
My Website

1. O'ahu (island)
  2. Haiku Stairs (attraction)

Susan from Manhattan Beach

I hiked Cradle Mountain when I was in college and while it was only 1545 m high, it was enough for me!

1. Cradle Mountain (city)

Alan from Winnipeg

Brock's Monument. The stairs get progressively smaller and people going down are trying to pass you at all times. It was claustrophobic but thankfully I was not affected.

1. Brock's Monument (attraction)

leila from Los Angeles

Mratinje - The Mratinje Dam is a concrete arch dam in the canyon of the Piva River in Montenegro. The dam is 220 metres (720 ft) high, one of the highest in Europe. The view of the canyon is unbelievable. It is definitely one of the most beautiful canyons in Europe I have seen. We were on our family trip from Montenegro to Bosnia and we follow the Piva river. It was fantastic trip. 

Leila 

1. Mratinje (city)

Drew from Angelika Film Center & Cafe

Tokyo  The price of a hamburger was out of control!

1. Tokyo (city)

Lee from Florida

Some parts of the Stubaier Gletscher near Innsbruck.  Great skiing, easy areas, steep areas.

1. Stubaier Gletscher (attraction)

Bryan

The side of Blue Sky Basin... Vail Ski Resort, Vail, Colorado

1. Vail Ski Resort (hotel)

Supun from Carson (California)

For people taking the Machame Trail up Kilimanjaro, the steepest part of the trek will be scaling the Barranco Wall on day 4.

You literally scale up the side of a rock into a cloud. It was the most challenging and funnest day for us.
There's a spot called kissing rock where you have to straddle a big rock on a thin ledge. It was amazing watching the experienced porters go up with stuff.

We came up a long way. Here's a view from like 1/4 of the way up.

Once you get to the top, you can't see the bottom anymore. So all you can do is take a cheesy picture inside a cloud.

Here's how the wall looked from below.
Those little white specs are people going up.

1. Machame Trail (attraction)
  2. Barranco Wall (attraction)

Linda from Abington

The steepest place I've every been to was Badaling at the Great Wall of China. You're almost parallel to the ground as you're trying to walk up to the peak of this area.  (Well worth it, by the way!)

1. Badaling (attraction)

Greg

The stairs in the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. About three degrees short of a ladder. 

1. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  2. Amsterdam (city)

Shannon

The Great Wall Of China, there are spots in which you are taking the steps like the rungs of a ladder.

1. Great Wall Of China (city)

Cynthia

Hiking trail at the Cinque Terre.

1. Cinque Terre (region)

Greg from Wellington, New Zealand

1. Baldwin St (attraction)
  2. Dunedin (city)

Brian

1. Jungfrau (attraction)

Kathy from Wilmington

Agree with all the skiing references.  Surprised that Jackson Hole Ski Area hasn't come up.  

However for for the most breathtaking drive/ steep drops that I can remember, the drive from Malaga Spain over to Seville will take you through Roda along switchbacks and drop offs that will take your breath away.  Enjoy!

1. Jackson Hole Ski Area (attraction)
  2. Malaga (city)
  3. Seville (city)
  4. Roda (city)

Robert Glenn from Manhattan Beach

My son (11), daughter (8), and I walked 2/3 of the way up Haystack Mountain in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming. Climbers call it a "goat-walk". Breathtaking ! The Wind Rivers are one of the most beautiful of all the ranges in North America.

1. Haystack Mountain (attraction)

Laura from Kuala Lumpur

Gunung Api volcano in the Banda Islands (Indonesia) was scary steep. Not so much on the way up, terrifying on the way down.

1. Gunung Api (attraction)

Sarah

I'll take this to mean steepest place you could actually fall off of!  

Hiking- Na'pali Coast in Hawaii. It is scary! Hiking carrying your food, water, and tent on a 3-4 ft wide muddy, slippery path with 1000s of feet between you and the ocean and zero guard rails. Hard to believe it even exists in the US! Great views though! 

Driving- zooming around the steep, narrow roadways in Ladakh India in the Himalayas. Not much traffic there though, so that's helpful!

Jennifer from Verdi-Mogul

1. Royal Gorge Bridge and Park (attraction)

Perla from Alexandria (Virginia)

1. Grand Canyon (attraction)

Forest

Flaine, France- Skiing- Mammoth, California

1. Flaine (attraction)
  2. Mammoth (city)

Sofia from Vasteras

Kjeragbolten and Preikestolen!!! Amazing places!

1. Kjeragbolten (attraction)
  2. Preikestolen (attraction)

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

Top of Europe in Switzerland

1. Top of Europe (attraction)

sandra

Cog railway, Blue Mountains outside Sydney, Australia

1. Blue Mountains (attraction)

Lynn

Huayna Picchu, at Machu Picchu.  Near the top the "stairs" seemed more like a ladder.  Pretty hairy!!

1. Huayna Picchu (attraction)

Curious from Detroit

First place goes to the reaching the top of St. Peter's Basilica - the steps were so steep inside the tomb.. 

Second - climbing Vaishno Devi Temple Hill

1. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)
  2. Vaishno Devi Temple Hill (attraction)

Alice from Minneapolis

I love to ski!  The Piste (ski slope) Pas de Chavanette, in the French/Swiss alps and often referred to as "The Wall" is by far the steepest place I've ever been!

1. Pas de Chavanette (attraction)