Asan

What's the most interesting place you've ever traveled to?

What's the most extraordinary place you ever visited in the world? Please do share!

Polly from Washington, DC

Egypt is probably the place that felt the most foreign to me - the only place I've traveled so far that doesn't use the Latin alphabet, for one thing! It was frustrating at times, but rewarding as well, especially getting the chance to see sights like The Great Pyramid at Giza or Karnak Temple.

I've also found Italy, South Africa, and Brazil to be culturally fascinating. Any place with good food, beautiful landscapes, and a complex history appeals to me!

1. Egypt (country)
  2. The Great Pyramid at Giza (attraction)
  3. Karnak Temple (attraction)
  4. Italy (country)
  5. South Africa (country)
  6. Brazil (country)

Billy from Chicago

I would say Morocco. I was studying in Spain at the time when I took the 5 day trip and it really wasn't very far away or complicated to get there. But I felt so very far away from home. It was fascinating and exhilarating. (The pic is of our group winding through the Sahara on camelback.) 

1. Morocco (country)

jami from New York City

Last summer I got to travel to Ibiza. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Lots of history, rich with culture. The food and wine was glorious. I would list it as a trip of a lifetime!

1. Ibiza (city)

Bruno from Sorocaba, Brazil

I traveled to Porto Seguro in 2013. It was the best trip I've ever done until today, I went there when I had 17 years and I remember until now what I lived there.

I went at extraordinary beaches and a lot of good parties, however, if you want to know this state of Bahia you should search exactly what to do, if you do not it correctly you could had a bad experience there.

1. Porto Seguro (metro area)

Joanna from Oakland

My ancestral villages in Southern China Guangzhou (Taishan and Zhongshan). This was the "most interesting" place because it was a trip of self discovery.

Being a fourth generation Chinese American, I grew up not knowing too much about my past or my culture. This trip allowed me insight into it. I was able to see the house of my paternal side that my great grandparents built. I interacted with villagers, and they said they remembered my grandparents from the 1920's. On my mom's side, I saw the house she was born in. I went into the house, and there were photographs of my family on the wall (from pictures that must have been sent back). 

This was all possible through a genealogy search program for Cantonese Americans (similar to "birthright" for Jewish Americans). It was a life changing experience. If you want to know more about the program, here it is- http://www.friendsofroots.org/

1. Guangzhou (city)
  2. Taishan (attraction)
  3. Zhongshan (city)

JT from United States

India

It's a either a love or hate destination for nearly all. For me, it was at first pure hatred, but within a few days, I never felt more alive than at that moment. Best way I've heard it described is "sensory overload."

1. India (country)

Chiara from San Francisco

Istanbul This city is what I call the door between Europe and Asia. You can breathe the atmosphere of a place in the middle between two different cultures. This is really appealing and unique, in my opinion. People live in harmony with very different lifestyles. My favorite moment: the sunset in front of the Hagia Sophia when it starts to light up for the night. Pure magic.

Visit my Travel Blog for more travel tips!

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Hagia Sophia (attraction)

Kemkem from Malaga

For me, l would have to say of all the places l have been to, Istanbul is the most interesting. The history, the bazaars, the spices, the shopping (as far back in time included with it's strategic position between Asia and Europe), the people and the grandeur of the mosques. They left their imprint on so many places, like in Germany and Hungary, etc. I can't wait to go back. 

1. Istanbul (city)

Emily from Otavalo, Ecuador

Ecuador has been one of the most interesting places I've ever been. There is just so much going on for such a small place. Otavalo is in the north in the Andes mountains and there are so many different kinds of people you'll find, between the indigenous population and the mestizo population. There is also the coast, like Salinas or all the beautiful waterfalls in Baños,  Lago Agrio Canton opens you up to the Amazon, and of course the Galapagos. There is just so much to do and see. 

1. Otavalo (attraction)
  2. Salinas (city)
  3. Baños (city)
  4. Lago Agrio Canton (neighborhood)
  5. Galapagos (island)

Stephen from Chiang Mai

I'm a long term travel writer. It is my passion in life. That being said I've found a lot of interesting places in the world. My answer would depend on how you define interesting.

If you are referring to people and culture one of the most interesting and wonderful countries I've traveled in Thailand . I love the culture, people, and sights. It is a great country from Hanging With Locals.

All of Southeast Asia is a wonderful to travel.

Yi Peng Lantern Festival is one of the most interesting and beautiful experiences I've ever had.

1. Thailand (country)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Asan!  My first thought was Maldives.  Amazingly beautiful, remote, and possibly may not be here someday, due to how low in elevation they are.  However, I am sucker for the Ancient Greeks and Greek Mythology, so I would have to say the Peloponnesia Peninsula in Greece.  It has so many well preserved ruins, stories, amazing scenery, and was not over run with tourists.  To read and know the stories behind these monuments, buildings, etc, and being able to experience them first hand was an incredible experience.  To think about reading references to these places in a book as old as the bible, and then taking it all in Was both very interesting, as well as an extraordinary experience for me!

1. Maldives (country)
  2. Peloponnesia (state)

I'd have to say Vietnam because of its last 100 years of history. It fascinated me as an American to get a look at the other side of the Vietnam War, and to see how people in Vietnam feel the repercussions of it on even an individual level today ... and probably will for another generation or two. 

I also spent some time up north near the border with China, where I encountered Black Hmong and other tribes. So much about this part of my trip was fascinating ... if you ever wind up in this area, I recommend doing one of the homestay experiences that you see advertised.

Corinne from Sydney, Australia

For our family it has got to be Cuba. It was a photographers dream. Rich in culture, history and not touristy. Well not yet. That's what appealed to us.

I blogged about our holiday there in 2012.

1. Cuba (country)

Flemming from Oslo

I have to go with Svalbard.

Longyearbyen is small yet beautiful. You are surrouded by alien mountains and coal mines. There are lockers for your guns when you enter shops (polar bears are a real threat) and snow scooters outnumber cars by about 100:1. Check out the awesome whiskey bar as well.

For me the real treat was sailing north from Longyearbyen into the complete wilderness. Glaciers everywhere you look, walruses, belugas, polar bears...

1. Longyearbyen (city)

Joanne

The Outback in Australia ..Started at the Top in Darwin and went all the way down to Melbourne.  

1. Darwin (attraction)
  2. (attraction)

Will from On The Road

I agree with Stephen Schreck’s answer, that there’s lots of interesting places in the world and one’s answer probably really depends on how you define ‘interesting’.

Because I don’t see them mentioned here, I’ll go with the towns in the following random list as being among the most interesting places I’ve ever traveled to (for various reasons): Luang Prabang, Aberystwyth, Porto, Seville, San Vito Lo Capo, Corniglia, Positano, Queenstown, Telluride, and Banff.

1. Luang Prabang (city)
  2. Aberystwyth (city)
  3. Porto (city)
  4. Seville (city)
  5. San Vito Lo Capo (city)
  6. Corniglia (city)
  7. Positano (city)
  8. Queenstown (city)
  9. Telluride (city)
  10. Banff (city)

Jessica (China Barbie) from United States

Hmmmm that's a tough one, but it would definitely have to be Xi'an!

I lived in Xi'an for two years, and it was amaaazing. For China, it's a small city (8 million people), so you don't have to deal with as many crowds as you do in Beijing. Xi'an is the ancient capital of China, and it has so many ancient places to see! I could go on for days, but instead, here's a couple articles I wrote on my travel blog about Xi'an, including lots of pictures I took, and lots of things to experience there (:

Post 1.

My experience working at an orphanage in Xi'an.

The delicious food there!

My last trip to Xi'an.

Hope you find this helpful! :P

1. Xi'an (city)

Charles from Virginia

Interesting: Venice BeachVenice Beach, California

Extraordinary: Big Suror Amalfi Coast

1. Venice Beach (city)
  2. Big Sur (city)
  3. Amalfi Coast (attraction)

Melissa from Chicago

I was lucky enough to go to the Galapagos Islands about a month ago. It is a really special place. The landscapes, the animals both above and below water, being completely unplugged on a boat for 7 nights...I can't quite get over it. I highly recommend adding it to your list.

1. Galapagos (island)

Sofia from Vasteras

I would say China. Everything is so different! For example, they drink hot water instead of cold, they spit a lot, they don't speak english at all, the food is very different (not in a good way...) and it's very cheap.

The culture is very different but it is cool to see! 

Great wall och China is amazing!! 

1. China (country)

John

Okavango Delta in Botswana.  Walking among giraffes, zebras, wart hogs and elephants.  Canoeing among crocs and hippos.  

1. Okavango Delta (attraction)
  2. Botswana (country)

Gerry from Boston

China, all that history is truly amazing!!!

Seeing the Great Wall Of China, Forbidden City, or the Terracotta Warriors Of Xi'an.

Visiting Chengdu, and seeing The Panda Bear`s Reserve.

1. China (country)
  2. Great Wall Of China (city)
  3. Forbidden City (attraction)
  4. Terracotta Warriors Of Xi'an (attraction)
  5. Chengdu (city)

That's a very hard question to answer because on any given day my thoughts may change.  However, I find myself dreaming of Cambodia more and more often.  I might be the gently kindness of the people, it might be how affordable even luxury was, it might be the inexposure to Buddhism and that I'm intrigued.  Could all just be rolled into something that I find alluring.  But its the only place that I have been to that I'm actively trying to incorporate into a trip in the next year....

1. Cambodia (country)

Özge from Turkey

1. Dubai (city)

Lisa from Stuttgart

To pick just one place is difficult.  In the 29 countries I have been to I would say Istanbul was one of the most interesting places.  The culture, mosques and scenery were so interesting to me.  BudapestPragueBeijing and Cornwall are a few of my other favs.

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Budapest (city)
  3. Prague (city)
  4. Beijing (city)
  5. Cornwall (city)

ronald from Roanoke

Iceland

many people have never considered going to this place, but once you go you will realize what you are missing.

over 10,000 waterfalls, whale watching, northern lights,beaches, volcanos. THE MOST TOTALLY GREEN COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

the whole country is very health conscious, and no chemicals are ever added to water supply. the water is geothermal from the under ground.

the best place is the Blue Lagoon. a lake that is 102 temperature year round. you can swim in it even in the winter.

the food, the people ,and the country is something you have to experience once in your lifetime if not more.

1. Iceland (country)
  2. Blue Lagoon (attraction)