Courtney

What's the most awe-inspiring room you've ever visited?

I'm not sure why but I always think about a room I saw once in Paris at the Musee Carnavalet. It's the reproduction of the ball room at the Hôtel de Wendel. It's beyond amazing and it made me wonder what other amazing rooms there are in the world so...

What's the most incredible room you've ever visited? I was initially thinking about beautiful rooms but if a room is incredible for another reason I'd like to know about it. 

Can't wait to see what you say!
C

Incredible does not necessarily mean good.  I have not been to the Amber room because when I was there it was at the end of the day and I just did not have the energy to go.  And I have never been to see Anne Frank's room and probably will not go.  Although I've been to a lot of very fancy castles etc from Versailles to San Simeon, I don't remember staying in a hotel room that was particularly fancy.  So I am going to nominate one of the best views ever from a place that no longer exists as it did when I was there in 1950.  Hitler's Eagle's Nest had a huge picture window which would  retract into the floor so that you could see the view directly without glass in front.  Hitler's Window 

Maria from Fort Worth

Churchill War RoomsMotown Historical Museum recording studio, Sun Studio recording studio, Graceland Jungle Room, Dallas Museum of Art Yayoi Kusama: All the Eternal Love I Have for The Pumpkins infinity mirror room, & The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza ,  JFK assasination site.

1. Churchill War Rooms (attraction)
  2. Motown Historical Museum (attraction)
  3. Sun Studio (attraction)
  4. Graceland (attraction)
  5. Dallas Museum of Art (attraction)
  6. The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza (attraction)

Janelle from Charleston

Ford's Theatre in Washington DC.  The theatre is rather small, much smaller than I expected, and being in the very room where President Lincoln had been shot 150 years earlier was eerie and surreal. It was a moving experience.  

Anne Frank House was a close second.  Moving from room to room in the cramped quarters and seeing the bedroom where Anne Frank was cooped up for over 3 years hiding out from the Nazis was another moving experience.

1. Ford's Theatre (attraction)
  2. Anne Frank House (attraction)

Claudia from New York City

The entire Museo Cerralbo (Cerralbo Museum) in Madrid, home of the Marquis of Cerralbo, don Enrique de Aguillera y Gamboa is incredible. To list an awe-inspiring room, I'd choose Marquis de Cerralbo's office (photo below).

He was a collector of unique objects from around the world and started collecting antique coins since he was a child. In his office are a group of portraits, paintings, tapestries, a sash worn by Carlos de Borbon (in the battle of Dicastillo, silverware, plaques, weapons, and ceramics.

The museum has over 50,000 artifacts.

1. Museo Cerralbo (attraction)

Donna from New Brunswick

The Ambavilasa. 

Rafael from Naples

The Raphael Rooms at Vatican City. Beautiful frescoes! 

1. Vatican City (city)

Dabs from Chicago

The Amber Room at Catherine Palace was jaw dropping, not only because it was entirely clad in amber but that it was a reproduction of the original which went missing during WWII which means that there were two such rooms!  And that "someone" has a room of amber sitting around somewhere!  A lot of places in Saint Petersburg (Russia) were so over the top ornate, I'm not sure that experience has ever been equaled in our travels.

While not strictly a room, the hall of mirrors at Palace of Versailles always wows me.  Also at the Musée Carnavalet in Paris is Fouquet's jewelry shop which is what I thought you were going to say when I saw the title.

1. Catherine Palace (attraction)
  2. Saint Petersburg (Russia) (city)
  3. Palace of Versailles (attraction)
  4. Musée Carnavalet (attraction)

Interesting question! Probably the most incredible room I have ever visited was Cormac's Chapel in Rock of Cashel Co. Tipperary. It's truly an amazing place - built as a chapel for Cormac McCarthy, high king of Munster between 1127 and 1134. Some of the original features are still intact and you can literally *feel* the history. 

Anne Frank House also brought me out in goosebumps. 

The most incredible hotel room I have stayed in is Shwe Inn Tha Floating Resort in Myanmar. It was a simple log cabin at the top of the lake with a deck from which you could hear buddhist nuns chanting late at night and early morning. I have never seen a more perfect sunrise and the silence at night when the lake was in darkness and the boats stopped was blissful.

1. Rock of Cashel (attraction)
  2. Anne Frank House (attraction)
  3. Shwe Inn Tha Floating Resort (hotel)

Justin

I never think about it, before but if i thinking about them than i would say its

The The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali - a GHM hotel  one of my favorite hotel. I was in Bali a very full of nature country.

1. The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali - a GHM hotel (hotel)
  2. Bali (island)

Zoe from Chicago

I haven't been personally, but my brother recently visited the BILTMORE HOUSE over the holidays. The rooms were decorated for Christmas and many of the rooms were uniquely themed. Huge greenhouse with orchids, amazing grounds etc. It all looked very historic and grand in the pics he sent me.

1. BILTMORE HOUSE (attraction)

Heidi from Colorado

Marble Distilling Co. & The Distillery Inn is pretty amazing and accessible to normal folks. The rooms are above the distillery so you can crawl the stairs to your bed after having a few drinks.

I also think the Sylvia Beach Hotel is a wonderful place with unique rooms that the average person can afford. They also have amazing dinners in a dining room that overlooks the Pacific Ocean. You can't beat the location. 

If you love historic hotel rooms, The Oxford Hotel is tops. The corner rooms are simply outstanding and the views are fantastic. 

1. Marble Distilling Co. & The Distillery Inn (restaurant)
  2. Sylvia Beach Hotel (hotel)
  3. The Oxford Hotel (hotel)

Rona from New York City

The Amber Room in Catherine Palace outside St. Petersburg

1. Catherine Palace (attraction)

Carol from Havertown, Pennsylvania

a suite at Royalton Hotel at 44 W 44th Street, NYC.   Once you find your way down the hallways, its the most dramatic room you can stay in.

1. Royalton Hotel (hotel)

At the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. Lovely suites. Great Casino.

1. Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino (hotel)