Courtney

Courtney from Los Angeles asked

What's the absolute ugliest building you've ever seen?

Those of you who've been around Trippy a while will remember when we used to ask this! Just for fun I thought we'd try it again! I'll start us off! 

So, about a year and a half ago I was in Shanghai and while I LOVED the Shanghai Museum as far as the art goes, I couldn't believe how ugly it was from the outside. 

So, what's the ugliest building you've ever seen? I can't wait to share your pain! 

Claudia from New York City

Great question Courtney.

There are 2 that came to mind: Torres de Colón in Madrid, the 23-floor skyscraper shaped like a plug and built in 1976 by architect Antonio Lamela. Here's a photo link: https://www.esmadrid.com/en/tourist-information/torres-colon

The other is the Beehive (see photo below), New Zealand's iconic parliament building in Wellington

1. Torres de Colón (attraction)
  2. Wellington (city)

Capitol Records. Just about anywhere in Los Angeles

1. Capitol Records (attraction)
  2. Los Angeles (city)

hollywood park racetrack. l couldnt make sense of the dated place. The Burbank Studios were just as bad. Pretentious phony Brentwood was wierd.

1. The Burbank Studios (attraction)
  2. Brentwood (city)
Janelle from Charleston

It's hard to pick just one, so here are a few:

William J Clinton Library in Little Rock.  The interior is actually quite nice, with plenty of open space, but the exterior looks like a giant shipping container and does nothing to represent Arkansas or blend in with its surroundings.

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in NYC.  I'm not a fan of "post-modern" architecture, and this building is (in my opinion) an absolute eyesore.  I haven't been to the one in Bilbao, but the pictures I've seen aren't flattering either.

Rogers Centre (aka the "Sky Dome"), Toronto.  Looks like a concrete fallout shelter from a Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoon.  Another "post-modern" eyesore. 

Smáralind shopping mall, Reykjavik.  When seen from the air it looks like a giant phallus.  Makes you wonder what drugs the architect was on when he drew up the plans.

Esplanade Theatre, Outdoor, Singapore (aka the "Giant Durian").  It looks like a mediaeval weapon without the chain. 

And by the way, here's a link to the Shanghai Museum so you can see it. Hard to believe it stores such beautiful art!

http://www.shanghaimuseum.net/museum/frontend/en/infomation/introduction

1. Shanghai Museum (attraction)

There was a contest on VT for the ugliest buildings and one of my photos was picked as one of them.  IT was a building in Copenhagen - I have a photo of it but I cannot seem to post any photos- the picture just hangs and never posts

John
I think I fixed the photo upload problem, can you try again?