varun
India

What's one city where could spend the rest of your life?

What's one city which you like the most and could spend rest of your life, other than your native place, and why? It does not matter whether you have visited it or have only heard about it. I want to know!

I have loved Paris from the moment in first visited. May be because it was so very different to my typical american upbringing, but I fell in love with the food, all those desserts, the lifestyle and the beauty.

As an adult, I find the people have become more important in the place I visit. I found I had a bit more kinship in Munich and Edinburgh and feel I could certainly spend a lot of time there.

If I was to stay in the states, it would be San Francisco...love the food variety, the bay, the proximity to nature and Napa Valley and could watch my 49ers!!!

2. Munich (city)
  3. Edinburgh (city)
  4. San Francisco (city)
  5. Napa Valley (attraction)

Auckland, New Zealand. So close to so many great New Zealand destinations, and also close to Southeast Asia. NZ seems to have its priorities straight on quality of life. The hiking trails there are amazing!

1. Auckland (city)
  2. Southeast Asia (region)

Ross from Fort Collins

Nimbin Australia. It's my kind of town 

1. Nimbin (city)

Marcela from Denver

Good question! For me, it'd be a tie between Paris and Colmar. I love all the attractions and city lights that Paris has to offer, but I adore the the quaint scenery Colmar has. My husband and I often talk about picking up and moving, but it's harder once you have 2 kids. :-/

2. Colmar (city)

Anna-Fee from Freiburg im Breisgau

London!!! For me, London is so much more than just Big Ben and London Eye. Here are some reasons why I'd love to live in London: the most beautiful English accent on earth, diverse cultural live (concerts, dance performances, great museums, there's always something for you), Englishness, Cream Tea, the Royal Ballet and many other amazing dance companies, stunning architecture, lovely neighbourhoods with interesting shops and galleries, fashion instead of 'trends', all the peaceful parks and so much more. It's a city which never bores you because there's so much to do/see. At the same time it's possible to find quiet places to just read a book and have a 'cuppa tea' if you don't feel like immersing yourself in the buzz of the city. It's a city which brings your creativity to light, a city in which you can reinvent yourself every day, a city which arouses your curiosity to find out about life. It just brings out the best of you. 

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Varun!  If I had to select a place in my home country, it would probably be San Francisco.  Great food, culture, close to world class wine and a great hub to use to get to international destinations.  I could also live in Paris, for many of the same reasons as above.  While Barcelona is the more "sexy" city, I have found that once I started peeling back the layers of Madrid, I really, really enjoyed the culture there and could easily be a long term resident.  I'm very excited to visit New Zealand, as Justin mentioned.  I have heard so many great things about Auckland.

1. San Francisco (city)
  3. Madrid (city)

The idea of living in the same place for the rest of my life is not an attractive thought to me as I am a nomad by heart and writing these lines from a gas station in Indonesia as I am cycling through the country.

But if I should mention some places that I could easily live in then it would be places like Penang San Francisco Lisbon Río de Janeiro and Istanbul

1. Penang (city)
  2. San Francisco (city)
  3. Lisbon (city)
  4. Río de Janeiro (city)
  5. Istanbul (city)

John from Carlsbad (California)

I'm pretty happy living where I do, Carlsbad (California).  The weather here is pretty much perfect.  However, I think ideally, I would spend about five months a year here, from about November through March.  I'd spend April in San Francisco.  It was the first big city I ever lived in and the more I see of the world, the better it holds up as a great international city. 

I'd spend May and June in Paris, which is the most beautiful and romantic city I have seen.  Great food, wine, museums, parks, cafes, and about everything else I enjoy.

I would probably spend July and August somewhere in northern Europe.  I'd have to think about exactly where, but it could be a combination of StockholmCopenhagen, Amsterdam, PragueMunich, Krakow.  Any suggestions?

September and October, I would head for the South of France.  Prime candidates would be Aix-en-Provence,Villefranche-sur-Mer,

La Cadiere-d'Azur,

the southern Rhone wine country around Gigondas and Châteauneuf-du-Pape,and Pezenas.And then I'd shake it up the next year.

1. Carlsbad (California) (city)
  2. San Francisco (city)
  4. Stockholm (city)
  5. Copenhagen (city)
  6. Amsterdam (city)
  7. Prague (city)
  8. Munich (city)
  9. Krakow (city)
  10. Aix-en-Provence (city)
  11. Villefranche-sur-Mer (city)
  12. La Cadiere-d'Azur (city)
  13. Gigondas (region)
  14. Châteauneuf-du-Pape (city)
  15. Pezenas (city)

Sheila from North Dakota

Queenstown, New Zealand. An incredibly beautiful city that's not too big or crowded surrounded with a ton of things to do during the winter and summer. Plus the people were incredibly friendly.

1. Queenstown (city)

Joao from Berlin

I would say Toronto, as a normal person. It's a huge city but with many small "villages" within it. People are usually very kind, there are lots of attractions and events year-round. Quality of life is incredibly high. And, if you ever miss the feeling of being "on the center of the world" again, NYC is a short trip away.

However, if I were a little more audacious, I would recommend another place, far away from Toronto (and the west). I would say: "go to Palolem". It's in India and it's not really a city. It's more like a beach in Goa. It doesn't have any of the comforts of western cities, but it's very pleasant. And it's the kind of place where you can switch between heavy-partying and peaceful living very easy. Cost of living is low and spiritual growth is a state of living. 

So, in short, if you're looking for a more traditional way of living, my answer is Toronto. However, if you're more of an alternative person, then Palolem (or the whole State of Goa).

1. Toronto (city)
  2. Palolem (attraction)

Terri from Napa Valley

Rome for more reasons than even I know... food, architecture, art, history, ruins, culture, the people, the language, weather, museums, and close proximity to all of Italy and Europe.  It's close to the sea and you can escape the heat easily by train and be at a nice beach in 1-4 hours.  And they have the best gelato in the world!

Christene from Kansas City (Missouri)

Probably Vienna! Great location to explore the rest of Europe. Amazing arts & Food! I could never be bored there! Though the south of France in the Provence area is pretty alluring too.

1. Vienna (city)
  2. Provence (region)

Eric from Rocklin

If cost was not an option, either Tokyo or New York City.  In both, you have the world at your fingertips right there.

1. Tokyo (city)
  2. New York City (city)

Kathy from Fort Worth, Texas

I would move tomorow if I could live in Albuquerque or Santa Fe. I could also live in Tokyo.

1. Albuquerque (city)
  2. Santa Fe (city)
  3. Tokyo (city)

Joy from Isle of Palms

Charleston SC.  It has great restaurants, beaches, theater, music, friendly people, etc.  and a good warm climate (no snow).   I would never live anywhere else!

1. Charleston (city)

Random from Seattle

Mexico City The people, their culture: art, food, theater, film, music... 

1. Mexico City (city)