Richard asked

What travel services do you use to help with your travel plans?

I'm sick of using Expedia to book flights because they are zero help anytime issues come up. I'm looking to learn what service other travelers use and are satisfied with.

Thank you in advance.

Rebecca from Manchester

skyscanner.net to book flights and hostelworld.com for any hostels

Maura from Reparto Versalles, Ciudad De La Habana, Cuba

European Destinations for Europe

Janelle from Charleston

Consolidated travel sites (such as Expedia, Kayak, Hotels.com, Travelocity, etc.) are useful tools for comparing rates and finding the lowest prices, but it's best to avoid booking anything through them.  They do not offer the same level of protection in case plans change or your trip has to be canceled, and if you have a problem it's a huge hassle to contact them, speak to a live person and get your problem resolved. 

Instead, once you find the lowest price on the consolidated site, go to the airline, hotel, etc.'s website and book through there.  9 times out of 10 the same low rate you found on the consolidated site will be found on the airline/hotel's own website. 

Sharon from Riverwoods

We have found that Tripadvisor is very reliable when figuring out what to do, see and where to eat.

barbara from Omaha

Use the hotel's, airlines, car, cruise lines and tour company's direct websites. Any time you use a third party you can run into trouble.

Chryssa from Copenhagen

Booking flights can be a tricky thing and unfortunately all major players will say the same thing when problems arise: "we are not at fault - please contact your airline". I like Skyscanner and Momondo but i have not yet found one that would have an awesome customer service..

Apart from flights and talking about travel services, check out www.tourboks.com especially if you are travelling in Europe: things to do all over Europe and a co-planning tool (called My Tourboks) allowing you to invite your friends in your wishlist. Very reactive, great customer service.

I book directly on their airlines website most of the time.

Having a middle man to deal with the ticket only complicates things if something goes wrong and it's usually not more expensive to book directly with the airline.

In the past it used to be more expensive to book directly with the airline, but that has changed the past few years and now i mostly just book on the airline website.

I tend to use www.momondo.com to find the cheap fares, but instead of using the companies they try to direct me to, I just pop over to the website of the airline and book there, unless there is a big price difference.

Steve from Honolulu, Hawaii

I like skyscanner fine for looking up options.  Then I always deal direct with the airline.  I get the same or better price and when you have a problem you don't waste time dealing with someone who has no authority and limited info.  Purchase trip insurance as opposed to a refundable ticket...a much better deal.

Don from Austin (Texas)

I use a variety of online services ranging from Sky Scanner to Kayak and book everything myself except in rare instances when I travel complicated trips Internationally. 

The single best thing that you can do is earn loyalty status with airlines, hotels, car rental companies etc. These status awards will go a lot further than a travel agent in getting you taken care of during good times and bad. 

Hi Richard,

I use travel comparison sites like Skyscanner or Cheapflights.co.uk and book directly with the airlines. Some airlines like, Ryanair in Europe offer a host of additional services for a small "Business plus" premium, for example: seat choice, priority boarding, fast track through security AND the option to change your flight on the day for free. 

p.s. I don't work for Ryanair!

Russell from Saint Cloud (Florida)

I use Kayak and Airbnb for search and then usually go directly

to the airline. I use Allegiant Air when I can. This is the cheapest

because it fly into small airports near major national airports.  Often

this airline runs late too.  But, I am retired and does not affect me.

Stef from Germany

I currently started working for a start up called Mission Control. They help you with all kinds of travel-related questions. They find a suitable flight for you, hotels and transportation options as well as find solutions if you lost your luggage and things like that. It's free until November, so in case anyone needs help, this might be a good thing to test. You just need to register and then send a message via your phone with your question. Check it out here: http://bit.ly/1J6kQkb

J from Michigan

I use my  memberships through  Airbnb, Costco and AAA ,etc. to see what discounts exist and then go from there.   Word of mouth from you  here at Trippy, my church family and some relatives are valuable.  If I am driving I will use a gas calculator and some reliable mapping apps and sites. 

Judi

Hipmunk for flights, together with the individual airlines' own websites.

Trip Advisor for where to stay. 

Yelp for where to eat.

Teri from Walnut Creek, California

I would like to think that one day~ more people will have made the switch to the oldest and most reliable source of all... one really great Travel Consultant is all you will ever need!  One of the very strongest reasons - you mentioned!  When things go wrong, and sadly they do no matter how careful you are, you should have help! There is zero reason not use a Travel Professional.  The service is complimentary, as well as, years of personal travel experience, years of education ( a requirement BTW if the consultant is certified), and having someone that cares about your experience is priceless!

Carol
I have a fabulous travel consultant. She will check out hotels she knows or I have found. She is a Virtuoso agent and gets us extra perks and great rooms. In Porto, Portugal we had a fantastic room with a full lunch or dinner and breakfast included. We also got a gift from the hotel of a bottle of Port wine and hors d'oeuvres and a thank you letter for using Virtuoso to book our one night stay, all delivered unexpectedly.

Carol
By the way, our travel agent is Deb Knopf who is with Odyssey Travel (386) 679-7016

Andrew from Fort Lauderdale

Call my friend Ellen Williams of CE Travel Planners. +1 954-687-1777 or 888-871-8555. Let her do all the work for you.

Clifford from Kenya

I think you can try using travel agents. If anything goes wrong, you have someone to attend to you and sort the issues.

Check out: www.incentivetravel.co.ke

Nardine from Tamworth (England)

I use Skyscanner to get flight prices, times & options then nearly always book directly with the airline, the price is rarely much different, peace of mind and no risk of a dodgy third party Co upping the price on you last minute.