Valerie Axworthy

Valerie from Los Angeles asked

What is your best travel selfie?

Yes, I want to see your best travel selfies! I've come across some pretty great ones...funny, serious, with animals, with crazy backgrounds, and in beautiful places. What is the best travel selfie you've ever taken and where were you?

• Jillian Geer

Top Answer by Jillian G. from Los Angeles

Easy! I call it my "Eye spy an elephant" selfie from a safari in Tarangire National Park.

General Trippy MediaIt was the first stop on our safari, and the elephants were surrounding us. Such an amazing experience that I had to take a selfie, obviously.

• JR Johnson

JR J. from Manhattan Beach answered

This was an epic day and i was bummed i didn't take more pictures. But this selfie definitely captured a moment. In the selfie you'll find in order:

1. Me - JR Johnson
    2. Rene Redzepi - Founder of Noma and all-around creative juggernaut.
    3. Mark Emil Hermansen - anthropologist, Nordic Food Lab, Noma, MAD Symposium
    4. Chris Sacca - heavy twitter user (yes, he's probably tweeting in this picture)

General Trippy MediaYes, I have a big, proud smile on my face and here's why.

We started at Rene's house. We had coffee. We ate ice cream. We toured his garden. If our day ended there I would have called it epic but we were just getting started.

Rene and Mark gave Chris and I a walking tour Christianshavnand Freetown Christiania. We made our way all the way over to Amass where we tried some house made pastis with Chef Matt Orlando. But wait there's more. We cabbed it back because we didn't have time to walk back (it took us a couple hours to walk to Amass) because we needed to get ready for dinner at Noma that night. Rene continued to be the ultimate host and gave my entire family (14 of us) a personal tour of Noma, the test kitchen, and the fermentation lab. Then the meal just blew our minds.

Btw, the pic was snapped somewhere between Christiania and Amass.

• Jenna Davis

Jenna D. from Los Angeles answered

General Trippy MediaI think this one takes the cake for me haha - selfies in Siem Reap
    Oh the life of solo travel bloggers haha!

- Jenna
    http://www.giveforgranted.com

• Debbie Lee

Debbie L. from San Francisco answered

I didn't think I had that many #travelselfies, but now that you mention it, I did manage to dig these up...

My favorite is what I took in what my friends and I dubbed "the disco temple" in Ayutthaya.

Murano Island

It was the most gorgeous temple that was covered from wall to ceiling in tiles of mirror of all sizes and patterns:Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthayaimage from flickr.com

Runner ups...

You can see my friends' and I's reflection in the rearview/side mirrors of this tuk tuk in Bangkok:

General Trippy MediaAnd my reflection in wall of shattered mirrors at Glasstress on Murano Island.General Trippy MediaCan't wait to see others!

• Alain S

Alain S. from Toronto answered

I'm not into selfie stick yet. People who are using it have the same pose. So, I take selfies with my ever loyal tripod and camera timer/shutter. :) Don't tell me it's not a selfie. It. Is. :))

Here's the proof---from Petra, Jordan.

General Trippy Media

• Julia Bloch

Julia B. from Brooklyn answered

This was in 2004, so before "selfie" was even a term --

I set my camera on timer and set up this shot on the side of the Taj Mahal:

General Trippy Media

• Tony Wright

Tony W. from Seattle answered

Took a snow machine out to Spencer Glacier from Girdwood and found a ridiculously blue ice tunnel.

Spencer Glacier

• Ian Oliver

Ian O. from United Kingdom answered

Like Tiffany, I'm not one for having my picture taken. However, on my vague 'round the world' trip, I've been doing a daily picture project of a photo of my feet (it's all marketing branding, you know :p).

This has led to some strange ideas and locations, especially as I'm usually travelling alone so have to try some weird ideas, made all the more awkward by the occasional people wandering past and looking at me strangely. Amazing what people do in the name of art ... ;)

General Trippy MediaAs an example, this was taken on the Nullarbor Plain - midges not pictured ...

:)

• Ross Sparks

Ross S. from Fort Collins answered

General Trippy MediaI don't know how he does it!

General Trippy Media

Hot wife

General Trippy Media

boom cobra selfie!!!!!!!!!

• Alvian Siahaan

Alvian S. from Jakarta answered

General Trippy Media

This one win baby!! It was taken Ujung Bira South Sulawesi - Indonesia. The ocean was beautiful, the dive sites are awesome. I traveled with my girl and she loved it we will coming back on May :)

• claus andersen

claus a. from Los Angeles answered

I took this one last week in Delphi with a local cat. Always wanted to take a selfie in Delphi.Delphi

• Scott McNutt

Scott M. from Bakersfield answered

My favorite travel selfie was this past May when I was on a Wine Country Cruise with Princess Cruises. I love to go to the top deck all by myself and just soak up all the grand views of nature. It is my happy place.General Trippy Media

• Evan Shaw

Evan S. from Virginia answered

I haven't been to as many crazy exotic locations as some of the other Trippy members, but I think any selfie with a giraffe in the background is worth sharing! (Taken during a recent trip to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.)

San Diego Zoo Safari Park

• Tiffany Weber

Tiffany W. from Corvallis answered

I'm one of those people who hate to get their photo taken. This is probably why I love photography because then I get to hide on the other side of the lens. So my selfies are shadow shots. This is one of the first. I was driving back to Valencia from Montanejos and a herd of goats had just crossed the road (which is why I was in the middle of the street with my camera).General Trippy Media

• Ryan Weiss

Ryan W. from Redondo Beach answered

I had a lot but this one wins.General Trippy MediaThis selfie was taken last year at Oktoberfest in Munich with my buddy Louis. We grew up next door to each other stirring up all kinds of mischief in our neighborhood as kids so this selfie might be the pinnacle of our epic partying. If someone asked me to describe the Oktoberfest experience with 1 photo this would be it.

Beers, crowd, out of focus, random German girl, Bavarian scenery painted on walls of the tent. Just a quick look a this selfie brings back so many memories of sitting, standing and dancing at the same table for 14 hours. Yes, 14 hours we stayed at the same table meeting people from every corner of the world, learning how all the Oktoberfest dances and songs go and how to properly hold a maß. It may sound unpleasant to stay in one place for so long, but honestly it's was one of the best experiences I've had. I can still smell the beer and sauerkraut aromas in the air. Prost!

• Mags Onthemove

Mags O. from Orlando answered

General Trippy Media

General Trippy Media

Definitely the time I interupted a lions breakfast in Tanzania.

• Karrell Cruz

Karrell C. from Singapore answered

General Trippy MediaSelfie with the Chocolate Hills, Bohol

• Konrad Waliszewski

Konrad W. from Washington, DC answered

My favorite was probably at the top of Lion's Head, overlooking Cape Town, South Africa and Robben Island (Nelson Mandel's island prison). More pics and thoughts from this trip are in my blog post from the trip: http://worldventureproject.com/south-africa/

General Trippy Media

• Supun Edirisinghe

Supun E. from Carson (California) answered

First here's my selfie to make all other Trippy members jealous. While trying to get the view down to the Pacific from Sandstone Peak, I missed the view but got a shot of my super cool T-shirt.Sandstone Peak

I had a hard time picking one shot, so I decided to pick a few of my faces at various places.

General Trippy MediaHere's me on a speed raft coming back from swimming with wild dolphins off of Ponta Delgada, by the holy Michael Jordan statue in front of the United Center, outside the Grand Bazaar, looking out at Half Dome, on a trip to Sequioa and Kings Canyon National Park with my dad and nephew, and at Edgewood Park & Natural Preserve (where I did my first trippy self answer).General Trippy Media

And here's me relaxing on Boracay Island, up in a tree along the Bridge to Nowhere hike, on a road trip to San Jose where I drove 800 miles round trip in less than 48 hours just to run a half marathon, jogging in Central Park and taking the Staten Island Ferry on another road trip where a buddy and I decided New York wasn't far away from Chicago after finishing Old Route 66, walking around Paris, and with some friends volunteering in Port-au-PrinceGeneral Trippy MediaAnd here is a final set where I'm on a bus to Santo Domingo that would end up breaking down leaving us and all the luggage in the backdrop stranded for a few hours, I'm taking a "holy cow I'm in New Delhi!" shot, taking a pic with one of my travel buddies (who's also on Trippy) at Blyde River Canyon (God's Window), watching the elephants at the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage go take a bath, accidentally snapping pics of myself inside a bomb safe hotel in Kabul (where I also met some talented young musicians), hanging out at the Gandhi Ashram, smoking Nargila at Çorlulu Alipasa Medrese, meeting a pen pal for the first time at Cișmigiu Gardens, posing in front of the Taj Mahal, on a train to Nuwara Eliya, dipping my toes into Trincomalee Bay while checking out the Koneswaram Temple, learning about a German monastery, and petting a lion cub at Lion Park. Which one do you think is my best one? Thanks for checking me out and as always thanks for sharing your travels here.

• Ernst Mutchnick

Ernst M. from Long Island (New York) answered

I don't take selfies too often but when I do, I put my camera on a tripod. Here are 2 photos I took while hiking through Wire Pass in southern Utah.General Trippy MediaGeneral Trippy Media