Rosalie

What is the best travel insurance?

Help! We are in our late 60's with a fall 2016 tour of Spain followed by a river cruise in France. Want to insure it, but so far prices for us are outrageous! Any advice?

David from Philadelphia

There are two types of insurance - trip cancellation and travel medical insurance.  Trip cancellation insures the cost of your trip in case you cannot go for any reason.  Travel medical insurance and evacuation coverage is used in the event you get hurt, sick, etc. while you are on vacation.  Most people don't know about until there's a problem and usually it's too late.  Most people are not covered by their medical coverage while they are overseas.  Serious injuries and illness may require evacuation or relocation and is very expensive unless you have insurance.  There is a combined product offered by TravelCare that is only $4.80 per day for both medical and evacuation.  Here is the link.  http://www.travelcare.com/en/insurance/index.cfm?agentId=900966319

Bryan from Newburgh, Indiana

On a recent three week trip to Africa I booked my travel insurance through World Nomads (which ended up finding me a policy insured by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company) and I got an extraordinary amount of coverage, including typically expensive emergency evac and repatriation, for a surprisingly affordable price.  Obviously, many personal things about each individual insured can affect the premium, so your mileage may vary, but I found World Nomads to be my best option when I was shopping around.

Andrew from Fort Lauderdale

Hi Rosalie, make sure you get medical as well as travel insurance. First, you need to combine all the costs for you trip such as hotel, airline, excursions as the travel insurance covers the cost of the itemized items you add to the policy. You will not be reimbursed for items not specified in the policy. Cancellations are usually accepted for health and/or family emergencies and definitely not because you changed your mind or that you can't find a babysitter!

The medical insurance is critical as it is highly probable that your US coverage does dot extend outside the country. Medical insurance is your healthcare coverage while you are abroad and usually covers Medivac services.

Whatever the cost, I strongly urge you to purchase the coverage as it will give you peace of mind knowing that you are covered. Like most insurance, you never want to use but it's good to have in case you need it!

We offer our clients luxurious all-inclusive fully crewed yacht charters on motor yachts and catamaran sailing vacations in the British Virgin Islands, St John in the Caribbean, French Riviera and these vacations can cost from $16,000 to over $300,000 per week and we always suggest to our clients to purchase trip insurance for the very same reasons I listed above. 

Happy and safe travels!

1. British Virgin Islands (country)
  2. St John (island)
  3. French Riviera (attraction)

Keyoungduck from Insadong

just check this www.assistcard.com . when my family world trip last year. we join that insurance service, it was good for us(me, wife, daughter)

Dianne from Virginia

Check out WorldNomads.com. Based in Australia.  Geared to travel all around the world. Excellent coverage. Not expensive. Charged by how many weeks you are away. It covers many categories including medical, automobile rentals, baggage, trip cancellations etc. I have used it for multiple trips to the UK. D.Wilson  Va Beach VA

Jane

Being a travel planner, I always recommend AIG/Travel Guard.  They have an excellent rating, and are easy to work with.  You mentioned how expensive travel insurance was.  That is because many insurances are based on age, where you are going, and length of your trip.  Age is one of the biggest factors determining the cost of insurance.  There is one way to get around it,. See if you can still buy it through the tour company you are using.  Tour companies do not have insurance prices different depending on age.  I recommend taking the highest level of insurance they offer for the best coverage. And you are right, that it is needed; a good investment to protect you.

http://smarttravelagency.agentstudio.com/

John from Belmont (Australia)

I have a credit card (many banks offer it) that has travel insurance as one of it features. The catch is you have to pay say the air fare with it for the insurance to be activated. My friend had to cancel a holiday due to ill health of a family member and got all his money spent on air fares, accommodation etc re-imbursed thru one of these type of travel insurance schemes attached to his credit card.

Jacqui from London

Hi Rosalie, 

This might be a little late, but as 30-year-old Aussie's residing in the UK and frequently travelling worldwide (mainly Europe), we've had our fair share of travel insurance policies and claims. 

I have a detailed post on why you might need travel insurance and how to get the best cover for you and your travel companions: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/how-to-choose-the-best-travel-insurance/

Always get travel insurance! 

I've just done a bit of research and have just purchased a new annual policy through AllSAFE insurance in the UK. Their premium cover is fully comprehensive, and they have covered us for all pre-existing medical and winter sports for an extra £30 per year - which I think it pretty good! 

I hope this helps! 

Cheers, 

Jacqui. 

Brad from Winnipeg

You can check quotes on http://www.worldnomads.com which are pretty competitive. However, when comparing with my bank's insurance offering, it was slightly more and my bank's terms a bit more liberal in coverage.

Another option of consideration, but always read the fine print.

Linda from Abington

I heartily recommend http://www.insuremytrip.com/   Used their services when I took a once in a lifetime 30 day cruise and (sadly) had a medical issue which they covered 100%.  Very easy to communicate with them and they were very fast to pay.   There are multiple actual plans offered - they look at the length and cost of your trip and go from there.  Even though I'm very comfortable purchasing items on-line, I did actually call them to arrange my initial coverage and they were knowledgeable, professional and friendly. 

Brian from Mountain View

Avoid berkely insurance group like the plague! still haven't been reimbursed for a trip that was scheduled almost a FULL YEAR AGO!

Nick from Venice Beach

Global Underwriters is by far the best for Medical Insurance. Their "Diplomat International" plan lets you pick the coverage amount and deductible amount to find the perfect plan and total cost you want to spend on it. 

AND it works! On a surf trip to a remote South Pacific island, a travel companion broke his back. He was helicoptered out and took 3 international flights, plus all the medical support - All covered by the insurance.

Andrew from Fort Lauderdale

It's a must. What many travelers don't know is that your health insurance probably does not cover you while outside of the USA. Cancellation insurance is good if there is an emergency, illness or death. Remember, "I've changed my mind" is not covered by the policy!   If you'd like more information you can contact my friend, Ellen Williams of CE Travel Planners http://www.cetravelplanners.com